Skip to content

Is it worth to start a new game now?

Hello, I want to start a new game in Baldurs Gate II Enhanced Edition with some mods, but with the new patch I don't know if it is worth it. Will I have to reinstall all mods after the patch? Maybe some mods will be incompatible after 2.5? If anyone knows something I will be very grateful.

And one more question, most of my companions I want to have in my group are available from chapter 2, is it better to do a solo until there or to recruit someone and dump them in chapter 2? I'm playing a Sorcerer Dragon Disciple.

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    2.5 will mostly be about bugfixing, and most of them are multiplayers. From what we know there will be no major engine change or things like that so most mods should remain compatible.

You will have to reinstall your mods once the new version is released however.

Concerning your other question, it's possible, and actually not so hard, to solo the first dungeon as a Dragon Disciple. Doing so will give you a headstart in terms of experience once you reach chapter 2. You don't HAVE to recruit anyone during chapter 1, and the powergaming option would be not recruiting them, but if for some roleplay reason you feel like recruiting them just do it.
  • VoytazVoytaz Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the answer Arunsun. With my experience with mods, reinstalling all mods always leads to some problems with saves (I wont point the finger, skyrim), so I will just wait for the 2.5.
    tbone1 said:

It is always worth starting a new game. That's the main cause of restartitis.

I played BG 2 once, so I'm restartitis free. But I wont mention how many times I played The Vale of Shadows in Icewind Dale...

• BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    I would say you probably want to keep Imoen for the chapter 1 escape, the XP you lose being grouped with her is made up for by the traps and locks she opens. Obviously she gets arrested once you escape anyway, so you'll be solo once you get to Waukeen's Promenade.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Borek said:

I would say you probably want to keep Imoen for the chapter 1 escape, the XP you lose being grouped with her is made up for by the traps and locks she opens. Obviously she gets arrested once you escape anyway, so you'll be solo once you get to Waukeen's Promenade.

And the xp for the scrolls she adds to her spellbook

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i'd wait. don't want you to be in the middle of a run and 2.5 comes out and ruining it becuse you have to reinstall your mods forcing a restart.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I was in the middle of a IWDEE (1.4) run when v2.5b was released.

Updated it and had no problems with mods. Just had to reinstall every single one because of the strings (the updated reseted my Dialog.TLK).

It was not a heavy modded game, to be honest, but I don't see a reason to not start a run. You can always copy a backup of your install before updating - if things goes wrong you just roll back to the previous version.
  • AttalusAttalus Member Posts: 156
    Hm, I have a totally unmodded game. What would be the advantages of 2.5?

i'd wait. don't want you to be in the middle of a run and 2.5 comes out and ruining it becuse you have to reinstall your mods forcing a restart.

Exactly my thoughts. I really don't like playing same thing twice in a short period of time.
    Raduziel said:

Updated it and had no problems with mods. Just had to reinstall every single one because of the strings (the updated reseted my Dialog.TLK).

It was not a heavy modded game, to be honest, but I don't see a reason to not start a run. You can always copy a backup of your install before updating - if things goes wrong you just roll back to the previous version.

I don't know if steam allows playing on older versions of game, but that's true. When I was playing Icewind on my PC, and wanted to play on laptop, I just installed clear version on laptop and copied whole folder of Icewind with installed mods from PC to laptop. And turning off automatic updates is impossible on steam, so it could just update old files like first time.
    Attalus said:

Hm, I have a totally unmodded game. What would be the advantages of 2.5?

http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/12/the-25-update-beta-is-here.html here you can find most of the things they are adding, but they reveal some more on the livestreams like more languages. Starting right now without mods definitely shouldn't break your savegames. And I see there's a bug without the 2.5 version with one companion I want to recruit which is stopping progression.

I'm really torn apart now. On the one hand I have other games I have to catch on, on the other, it's Baldur's Gate, I have nothing better to play right now. Tommorow I'm going back to college after a break so I will decide then probably.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    I sometimes wait months before installing new patches. This gives modders time to address any breakages from a new patch.

I say play now. You can install the next patch after you finish the run or give into restartitis. Do you really want to wait weeks or even potentially a couple of months on the next patch?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited February 2018
    On the other hand @Voytaz you may as well start a playthrough, and if the patch is released before you finish your playthrough, just delay the installation and finish your playthrough.

From where we stand, there is no ETA on the patch release, and it could take another month or two.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'd suggest waiting for the new build of the 2.5 beta at least. It will bring LOTS of fixes.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

I'd suggest waiting for the new build of the 2.5 beta at least. It will bring LOTS of fixes.

I know it is a pointless question, but...

Do you have a list and an ETA?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    ETA, - sadly, no, but it's closer than last week, apparently.

List: https://support.baldursgate.com/versions/414 + internal fixes not mentioned in that list ~ at least 50% of the public amount
    Thank you all for help. So I will just wait. It's not like I don't have anything to do right now.
    Aerakar said:

I sometimes wait months before installing new patches. This gives modders time to address any breakages from a new patch.

I would really like to do this but it's impossible on steam I think. I have to update, otherwise steam won't let me launch the game. In this case every little fix can break installed mods. Or I could copy the folder before an update and paste it after, but I don't know how would steam react for this.