Skip to content

Enhanced Inventory - Suggestions for NWN: EE

Hey guys, not really sure if I'm putting this in the right place so feel free to move it where it belongs. I want to start a discussion about how the inventory screen in Neverwinter Nights could be improved in the enhanced edition so hopefully we can get it to their attention and up on the trello board or something.

Personally, I think the inventory screen really needs ways to search for and categorize items. A lot of the times when my inventory is cluttered and full and I loot something its a matter of guessing where it ended up and in which page, and in times of dire need I always wish I had a search bar to just be able to type the first few letters of something and have it appear. It seems like the only way now to organize the inventory is to dedicate bags, boxes, or pages to specific items. It'd be nice to have a way to categorize things by their type, like in a time of need being able to view all the weapons in your inventory quickly.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    Agree with this and I would wager it's all on the list for their UI changes.

I would personally really like an "autosort" button, like NWN 2 did as well. You could even have a dropdown for it to choose how it sorts items, like by type, value, alphabetical, weight etc. - All that would go a long way to making inventory management easier in my eyes.
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    edited February 2018
    @Jimbobslimbob I've always been very picky about specific items going where. For example, the 3rd page's top row is dedicated to ammunition, while the fourth page is for potions and the fifth is for plot items, where permanent plot items go on the top row, keys on the second, and temporary on the last. Then I just kind of let things go wherever they can fit when I start looting. Still, I don't see why autosort can't be added for those that want it.
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175

I would personally really like an "autosort" button, like NWN 2 did as well. You could even have a dropdown for it to choose how it sorts items, like by type, value, alphabetical, weight etc. - All that would go a long way to making inventory management easier in my eyes.

An auto sort like nwn2 would be difficult in nwn1 as they do not have the same inventory display icon size.
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    raz651 said:

An auto sort like nwn2 would be difficult in nwn1 as they do not have the same inventory display icon size.
    It's do-able. Just because items are different sizes, doesn't mean it can't be done. Just means your computer has to play Tetris, rather than you :D
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    edited March 2018
    I really like it how in NWN1 big items take more space, look bigger and and are easier to find quickly. It echoes realism in a good, immersive way.

I had forgotten NWN2 had all items take up one slot. Might as well just use a list if everything is the same size.

I really hope they can redo the equipment icons though. The old ones were always a bit cartoony and would look very out of place compared to the enhanced Hall of Justice for instance.
  • tfoxtfox Member Posts: 87
    Ehh I don't think an auto sort button would do all that much good, how do you intend to have it sort things? Have everything thrown together in some sort of random tetris puzzle on the first two pages so that everything fits on the smallest number of pages possible? That's not going to help anyone find their healing potions/kits, their buff items, their trinkets or scrolls of offensive spells. If you want to sort it by those types of items how will you have it sort custom items made on the server (things like a rod of heal for example that isn't in the base game).

A part of the game is inventory management, I don't really agree with a search bar either.

What I would like though is to see container size increased (bags/boxes in your inventory alongside chest placable containers so more can be placed on a single page equivalent to an inventory page) and that bags and boxes can be left open even while moving around so someone could organize a bag with all their consumables they'd want to use and have them in one place not having to pause in combat to open said bag.
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    If anything, have tabs where items of a type go to each tab. EI: potions tab, armor tab, weapons tab, ammo tab ... and so on.
  • AnonySimonAnonySimon Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2018
    dTd said:

If anything, have tabs where items of a type go to each tab. EI: potions tab, armor tab, weapons tab, ammo tab ... and so on.

I wouldn't mind seeing each tab or container having a drop box with a list of categorized items such as:
    • Any (default)
    • Ammo
    • Armor
    • Shields
    • Weapons
    • Consumables (wands, potions, and scrolls)
    • Miscellaneous (anything that isn't ammo, armor, shield, weapon, or consumable)
    On the main inventory page, I would like to see an auto-sort button which would sort items to the appropriate tab or container.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Nice idea but if they stick with the same inventory page size, I can definitely foresee problems.

TR
  • EetheartEetheart Member Posts: 22
    To be honest, inventory slot size isn't an issue because we have weight limits in the game already. And God know everyone who plays on a Persistent World server could always use the extra slots in their inventory.
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    An autosort button would be great. OTOH, I use different pages in the Inv for different categories of stuff, with the last page exclusively an bags of holding page to store loot.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Apart from way sto categorize things, the way the inventory works, with an armor taking a good amount of space, provoking that you must navigate lots of windows when you have a lot of equipment, wasnt the best solution, imo
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    Another thing I do on finding lots of treasure and magic equipment is I use a box for gems and treasure chests to dump collected armour and heavy weaps in one place so I can portal in and out while I sell it, swopping my ogre gloves for appraisal gloves as appropriate in shops. The cash made from magical armour vastly outstrips portal fees. Not possible with the Dark Ranger's Treasure module though! Wow that was tough getting back, I was cut to pieces with one HP on entering the inn.
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    This is one of my top wishes for the new UI. Basically if they could make the players inventory work like a merchants inventory (which I think includes making it limitless in size with extra pages per category if needed) plus add a search feature then that would be good enough fo me.
    In addition a related option I would like added to the nwnplayer .ini file is an option to turn off the encumbrance movement rate hit when overloaded with loot. I know that might be ba for "realism" reasons but on the other hand the slow down in gameplay is takes too much fun out of the game for compulsive hoarders like me who need to gather every speck of loot.
    Of course another option might be to include in the game a default merchant the player can summon to sell stuff to whenever they want - such a merchant might not have an initial inventory and may be set to never buy or sell at a favourable rate.
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    edited April 2018
    I have not. I wrote my own solution - nwn1-player-utilities - Big Bag of Holding, to use either in older mods however I have to open the mod and tweak it if tag based scripting isn't working.
  • MenthaMentha Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2018
    yes. if this is too much, can we please please PLEASE have half intervals in the user interface scale? I'm using a 1080p moniter and 1 is way too small and 2 is way too big.

EDIT: oh its on the trello too. and apparently active. that's good. https://trello.com/c/UQCyCcpJ/160-make-ui-fully-scalable-at-any-resolution
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    Yes once they backport all the Android UI things to the PC version and open up the scripting, we should be able to do all kinds of neat things with the UI