Skip to content

The True Type Fonts (TTF) card discussion

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
Greatings, NWN:EE enthusiasts!

Please, provide more details and feedback for

https://trello.com/c/Saj4bZEp/15-true-type-fonts-ttf

in this thread.
charissa1066

Comments

• charissa1066charissa1066 Member Posts: 33
    My concern regards font size. It would be great if players could adjust chat window and font size. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread to post this in. If not, I apologize and please direct me to where this should go.
    Barry_1066solod123
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    We seem to have a circular reference here. Which discussion triggered this heading?
  • VerilazicVerilazic Member Posts: 20
    I would think this goes under the general heading of "make the interface scaleable at any resolution"? Other than that, I don't know what the advantage would be of adding true type fonts.
    charissa1066
  • charissa1066charissa1066 Member Posts: 33
    @Verilazic I agree. My comment fits better there.
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    Well, it would be nice to be able to use multiple types of fonts in-game: Dwarven runes, Elven script, etc. I'm not sure if that's the intent of this discussion, but it would definitely be a useful addition to the game.
    RoAnnonDark_Ansemcharissa1066Verilazic
  • RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141
    Yes, would be amazing. Would allow for RP servers to really make the "Languages" thing even more believable. Change fonts for people whom cannot speak/understand the language.
    charissa1066
  • solod123solod123 Member Posts: 3
    If we can import larger fonts, that would be fantastic since on 1080p dialogue text feels way to small. This might be a good workaround until Beamdog is able to scale UI windows properly on 1080p.
  • PhenomenPhenomen Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2017
    Yes, please. It would make possible to use other languages than English without hacking into texture bitmaps.
    Easy scaling is another obvious benefit of TTF over current bitmaps.
    charissa1066
  • BlessedAdversaryBlessedAdversary Member Posts: 14
    I grabbed the font editor off the vault and it works great for 1080, whatever font I want. But I still need scalable UI to make it perfect.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992

I grabbed the font editor off the vault and it works great for 1080, whatever font I want. But I still need scalable UI to make it perfect.

Which editor are you talking of?
  • BlessedAdversaryBlessedAdversary Member Posts: 14

Which editor are you talking of?
    https://www.nwnlexicon.com/project/nwn1/other/tool/nwn-font-maker

I love it. It makes the text readable from 8-10 feet away from my screen at 1920x1080
    Takes a bit of tweaking on the spacing and there can be word wrap depending on what you choose, but its saving my eyes.
  • mangamusclemangamuscle Member Posts: 30
    This would be really nice imo, maybe even go one step further and implement OpenType.
  • Gribo2Gribo2 Member Posts: 17
    While we are at it, can we have Unicode support?
  • VerilazicVerilazic Member Posts: 20
    Ancarion said:

Well, it would be nice to be able to use multiple types of fonts in-game: Dwarven runes, Elven script, etc. I'm not sure if that's the intent of this discussion, but it would definitely be a useful addition to the game.

Okay, that would definitely be great. If that's what we would get out of adding true type fonts, then I'm all for it.
    Dark_Ansem
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    Yes, please. I would love a module or PW that uses multiple fonts to convey the emotion and tone of the characters/monsters, as well as cyphers and languages. Also, I still want to assert it's a little tough/awkward to read to the absolute far left and top at 1920 x 1080 on my 24" budget monitor. If you could implement improved font scaling, I'd be very pleased.
  • Barry_1066Barry_1066 Member Posts: 77
    I really don't know the answer - if these fonts are added - which I support - would we be able to cut and paste form other sources - Weblinks, text editors, and such - I like to have some text prepared in advance and then just cut and paste. This process works in about every other game i have played in that there is text input except for NWN.

Again, I don't know if adding such fonts would change this ability to cut and paste - but based on what I have read so far I think it might.
  • echooechoo Member Posts: 43
    The original jagged fonts should be replaced with something easier on the eyes, and scale properly.

Copy/cut/select all/paste would also be helpful, and the ability to highlight text with your cursor. Configurable fonts that represent setting languages would be cool too, as others have said.

How about a chat box spellcheck? ;)

The main font should match the new UI in style, also. Just my $0.02
    OzzynlBarry_1066
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    If truetype fonts allow for larger fonts to make it easier to read the text of the game then I am all for it. :)
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited February 2018
    Doesn't anybody in this thread know that cut, copy, paste and select all DO work in NwN. You just need to use the standard keyboard shortcuts (that have been around since the days of DOS) - cut = [ctrl]x, copy = [ctrl]c, paste = [ctrl]v and select all = [ctrl]a. These even work in the conversation editor.

As far as this proposal goes I not only support it, I've voted for it. Personally I would extend it to include Open Type Fonts (OTF).

TR
    being able to show pictures in book descriptions and message boxes would be great.
    charissa1066
  • zordren3742zordren3742 Member Posts: 207

Barry_1066 "really don't know the answer - if these fonts are added - which I support - would we be able to cut and paste form other sources - Weblinks, text editors, and such - I like to have some text prepared in advance and then just cut and paste. This process works in about every other game i have played in that there is text input except for NWN."

TarotRedhand "Doesn't anybody in this thread know that cut, copy, paste and select all DO work in NwN. You just need to use the standard keyboard shortcuts (that have been around since the days of DOS) - cut = [ctrl]x, copy = [ctrl]c, paste = [ctrl]v and select all = [ctrl]a. These even work in the conversation editor."

that sounds Awesome, does not sound too hard for them to maybe just making it work like modern mmorpg's where you can drag and drop with the mouse copy/paste from the in game browser they are supposed to be bringing back.

Ancarion "Well, it would be nice to be able to use multiple types of fonts in-game: Dwarven runes, Elven script, etc. I'm not sure if that's the intent of this discussion, but it would definitely be a useful addition to the game."

that sounds a lot like making whole new sets of unique fonts, whole new languages, which would be awesome too I think....and expensive..... and time consuming .....and expensive. but hey, yeah I would love to see that.
    @zordren3742
    that sounds a lot like making whole new sets of unique fonts

No it doesn't, just go to a free font site like this one. Search on it for elven.

TR
    I won't lie. NWN font is very disappointing.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited February 2018
    As somebody with blurry and double vision due to problems with intracranial pressure, font options would be amazing! I have a really hard time with the current font. At higher resolutions it is too small. Yet high resolution fonts are much easier to read if they are a good size. UI mods don't seem to fix the fonts since that is a separate matter. Font mods just create other problems. I am highly in favor of having True Type Fonts in NWN:EE.
    Post edited by themazingness on
    charissa1066
  • zordren3742zordren3742 Member Posts: 207

@zordren3742

that sounds a lot like making whole new sets of unique fonts

No it doesn't, just go to a free font site like this one. Search on it for elven.

TR
    My bad dude, I thought you meant something like whole new languages in a unique dialect like In KOTOR.
    There are various online translators out there of varying quality.

TR
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    Really wish we had this, can't stand the font on the loading screens and would like to tweak the conversation window.
    themazingness
    I'm not sure why this card needs more discussion, according to the trello board. sounds pretty clear?
    Aha, this is getting done after all!
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Thanks everyone for your feedback!
    The card is now in the Long-term Active >3 months category.
    lolien
This discussion has been closed.