Skip to content

Help on Firkraag on Scs!

ariakas2ariakas2 Member Posts: 80
I am playing scs with solo cavalier and i am confronting firkraag. I am lvl 16 currently. I drink lots of potions and use the simulacrum from helm but he is dispelling all my protections with dispel magic. I can take his 2 stoneskins until i die. How can i beat him?

Comments

• BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    You're likely gonna need one of the wands with Breach and perhaps abuse the zone in/out point to negate his Dispel Magic. By this i mean when under the effects of Haste you *should* be fast enough to zone out when he casts Dispel Magic, but before it lands on you, then you can zone back immediately and fight with your buffs up. Please note that IMO you are highly unlikely to beat him without breaching his defenses.

If you come back at higher level with HLA's you can perhaps use a Deva to keep him busy and some other HLA's can be useful, but bottom line is you need to dispel his defenses somehow. You may need to wait for HLA's, stacking physical resistances via defender of easthaven and Hardiness gives you a huge advantage. Other options may be using attacks that debuff him, like the -2 THAC0 2h sword from underdark, every time you hit him he gets a stacking -2 to hit, lol, which applies on hit not damage, so every stoneskin "ping" lowers his chance to hit you, meaning before long he'll be needing 20's and you can easily get the upper hand.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • ariakas2ariakas2 Member Posts: 80
    edited February 2018
    oI need carsomyr to dispel his buffs:D
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
    edited February 2018
    i killed him with zone in zone out tactic. Ty :D
    Borek
    ariakas2 said:

oI need carsomyr to dispel his buffs:D

Yeah, for sure, it's why it's such a pain of an encounter, not only is he a tough fight, but he holds the loot you need to make such fights easier haha. Sadly you can't even use the Staff of the Magi as a Cavalier.

If i was forced to come up with a strategy that didn't involve coming back later with HLA's i would say cheese out his dispel magic is detailed above, then use Defender of Easthaven + Flail of Ages to take the edge off his damage and slow him, use the Helm to make a Sim so you have 2x the attacks/slow chances and to hopefully get him wailing on the Sim. Once his Stoneskins are down change to Peridan Main hand + Belm, leave the Sim, if it's alive, with FoA/DoE so it keeps him slowed and knocks off 20% damage.

Not 100% sure how SCS changes things but i'm fairly sure he only casts his remove magic at the beginning of the encounter, so assuming that is the case i think you have a chance, but you may need a few tries because how quickly FoA procs at least 2 slow effects is likely to determine the success chances :wink:
    OrlonKronsteen
    edited February 2018
    He spams dispel magic randomly so it is hard to guess when it will come. I started with simulacrum and me hitting him. He casted breach instead of dispel magic this time so it was lucky for me. After i overcome second stoneskin, he forget to cast his 3rd for a while so i could hit him until he is injured. But my simulacrum died meanwhile and my hp was less than half. So i zone out and used troll form of cloak of sewers to get my hp back. I reapplied haste and fire immunity with potions then attacked him again. This time his haste buff expired and I managed to kill him after his third stoneskin with drinking 6 health potions or so. I used FoA and Defender of Easthaven and armor of faith to mitigate damage.

I hit him with FoA the whole encounter but he wasnt slowed once. I think he is slow immune. Dispel magic wasnt useful either. It was a hard fight but my paladin is able to walk proudly now:D
    OrlonKronsteen
    ariakas2 said:

He spams dispel magic randomly so it is hard to guess when it will come. I started with simulacrum and me hitting him. He casted breach instead of dispel magic this time so it was lucky for me. After i overcome second stoneskin, he forget to cast his 3rd for a while so i could hit him until he is injured. But my simulacrum died meanwhile and my hp was less than half. So i zone out and used troll form of cloak of sewers to get my hp back. I reapplied haste and fire immunity with potions then attacked him again. This time his haste buff expired and I managed to kill him after his third stoneskin with drinking 6 health potions or so. I used FoA and Defender of Easthaven and armor of faith to mitigate damage.

I hit him with FoA the whole encounter but he wasnt slowed once. I think he is slow immune. Dispel magic wasnt useful either. It was a hard fight but my paladin is proud to walk now:D

Yeah you're unlikely to get a Dispel Magic to work on him unless very high level, not sure what his casting level is but wouldn't be surprised if it's as high as 30. I know i have slowed the Shadow Dragon with FoA before, but it is possible it doesn't work on Firkraag, or maybe SCS/Mods add some more immunities.

Love Armour of faith, once you get a few uses of Hardiness it's so nice to stack up the mitigation, much needed for melee's that don't have access to spells that can make them immune.

Congratz on the Sword, it's definitely one of the hardest fights solo.
  • GarrusN7GarrusN7 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 155
    I may have cheated myself while fighting him, since...well, Warrior Thief Mage with Any Item on start and inherited Carsomyr...but hell it's worth it. Though even while "cheating" Firkraag is one tough son of a bitch to kill. Almost as hard as the back Dragon with poison lol. Either way, it's fun.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,428
    edited February 2018
    You can also make him a statue. You'll need the sewer key right before him, and fetch the Wand of Wonder from the Temple District Mind Flayer base. There's some difficulty in getting it, but with it you can petrify many hard opponents, like all dragons and Chromatic Demon.

OrlonKronsteen
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    I like to at least double the hp of all dragons with SCS, it really makes you think hard about taking them on pre-Spellhold.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • marc5477marc5477 Member Posts: 19
    Not sure if this will help, but he is not immune to poison. I did a number on him with thief snares. Not sure if a pally has any access to poison though.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • WitchfinderWitchfinder Member Posts: 26
    I got so pissed off at fighting him that I tried to reload maybe 100 times to see if a harm spell would work. It procced once, but I couldn't kill him afterwards. And the one time it worked was the first or second try. It almost felt like the game "learned from its mistakes" and suddenly changed the rules so that harm would be useless.
    I found a disintegrate scroll in my pack which I then reloaded 10 times until it worked. I had set my game so that items don't disappear on disintegration though ...
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    in my experience the vanilla firkraag is easily doable for a party, at least it becomes easy when the player has already some competence and experience, i perfectly remember how he was hard in my first runs...

soloing and with a modded dragon the things change, it is still possible, but it needs more competence and the proper use of all the resources that the party/solo charname as access to.
    ie some potions, beyond the ones that haste and protect from fire, can give a real advantage to the warrior classes.

but imo the purpose of soloing the game and to play it with difficulty enhancing mods is to test our skill in playing the game, when vanilla is no more a challenge for us.
    so if i see multiple reloads to try different approaches and tactics until we find the right one completely legittimate i can not see any sense or reason in using the reloads to cheat with the probability of some save or else spells working.
    we all know that a lev 10 mage can turn to stone every dragon and win the battle with a single spell, cromatic orb, but the odds that it actually happens, that the spell is not stopped by the dragon's MR and that he does not save are very very little.
    reloading enough times you always win the battle with that single spell, without reolads to trust only on that spell is a suicide 99.9% of the times.

so i ask to myself what is the proud of winning a battle that we know we are not still capable to win in a fair way abusing of the reload.
    ok, i killed the dragon, solo and hard modded, but only because i abused of reload, i reloaded enough times that something that has little odd to happen finally happened.
    without any effort to improve myself as a player, planning and experimenting different tactics, without the actual skill needed to actually fight that battle, only cheating in an immense luck by abusing of reload.
    i would not feel any proud at all doing it, only for the possibility to brag "i have killed the mighty firkraag, solo and hard modded, with my low level charname".

even if i believe in the freedom that each player has to play as he likes, in the way that gives him fun, i strongly suggest the players to avoid this use of the reload. much better to slide down the difficulty, wait to have some more levels, use mods that are less challenging or solo less difficult to solo classes until we are up to that challenge.
    there is so much fun, pride and personal improvement in fighting in a fair and proper way on less hard settings then into beat the hardest ones only because and abuse of reload is used.
    and don't get me wrong, my purpose is not to be judgmental towards the other players, only to suggest to them a way that will make their gaming more satisfactory.

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited March 2020
    I got so pissed off at fighting him that I tried to reload maybe 100 times to see if a harm spell would work. It procced once, but I couldn't kill him afterwards. And the one time it worked was the first or second try. It almost felt like the game "learned from its mistakes" and suddenly changed the rules so that harm would be useless.
    to use harm a toon must be a cleric.
    as cleric did you use, before harm, the spell that sets the MR at a value equal to your levels?
    used offensively, against an enemy, it allows no save and unless the cleric is at a super high level sets his MR at a very low value, compared to the original one.
    and did you use doom so the chance the dragon saves against harm is lowered?
    finally did you properly buff your cleric? holy power, righteous magic and duhm, you have to cast them in this exact order for the best result, greatly improve a cleric's thac0, damage and hp.
    you can pre buff and use some summon to gain the time to cast the spells that prepare the dragon to the harm, and the summons will also take the dragon's dispel magic, send them one by one as a single dispel magic or buffet can kill or throw away them all if you don't.
    this way, and having at least a couple of harm spells memorized, 3 are better, it is very likely that harm works.
    it is a very powerful spell, but has to be used in the proper way, you have to create the conditions lowering the enemy's chance to save and rising your chances to hit when you try to apply the harm and after it to kill (also a spell or item can be used for that, you need only to do 1 single damage, the ring of energy or the ring of the ram are perfect for that).

the point of reloading 100 times, that is fine, should be to try to understand each time why the proposed tactic (in this case using harm) did not work and to try to improve it, not to try many times something that "as it is" seems to don't work, without trying to change something to make it work.