Skip to content

Request - boot reason

This should be a fairly easy one to implement.

It would be nice, when booting a player if we could pass a reason, and have that reason show on the pop up.

Comments

• NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    This can be done via whatever script you use to boot the player. Simply send them a message with a delayed boot time. Give em like 5 to 10 seconds to read it or what not. Even shout it across the server to shame them if they did something bad. lol.
  • TimendainumTimendainum Member Posts: 24
    This is not an effective solution. I want to boot players on login, based on some condition. Each client has different load times. So not everyone will see the message.

The good news is, the NWNX plugin Administration.so provides the functionality for a boot reason.

So, we may not need it in the base game. I have not tested it yet.
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339

This is not an effective solution. I want to boot players on login, based on some condition. Each client has different load times. So not everyone will see the message.

The good news is, the NWNX plugin Administration.so provides the functionality for a boot reason.

So, we may not need it in the base game. I have not tested it yet.

I totally get what you're saying. The NWNX plugin seems more "surefire". However a lot of people, myself included, still don't like messing with NWNX much or have taken a very long time to "dip their toes in the water". As far as client load times, this is usually circumvented by making sure the client is fully entered by using a trigger (if you have a consistent start location) or in an areas OnEnter event (if you use persistent locations). It would still be a nice feature as you originally suggested though.
  • zunathzunath Member Posts: 92
    Keep in mind that the NWNX boot reason requires you to specify a string reference in the TLK. Providing custom reasons requires a custom TLK.
  • RutgerMaFerRutgerMaFer Member Posts: 2
    Send the person to some prison somewhere first. Let them sit there for a period of time. If they don't log out, boot them.
  • zunathzunath Member Posts: 92
    The ability to show a boot reason was added in the latest update.

BootPC(object oPlayer, string sReason);

is the function you need.
  • FinalStandFinalStand Member Posts: 87

This doesn't seem to be working :

Code:

[code]void main() {
    object oPlayer = GetPCSpeaker();
    BootPC(oPlayer, "test");
    }[/code]

Client:
    https://i.imgur.com/TiOQseZ.png

This is using lastest version in Beamdog Client: Digitial Deluxe - Head Start
  • BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    That happens for me as well. You might want to enter it as a bug since I took a quick look through the first several pages of public bugs and didn't see a mention of this problem there -
    https://support.baldursgate.com/projects/nwn-ee-public-bugs