Skip to content

NWN2: Tales of Moonsea server

BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
Does anyone have any experience with this server?

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    I saw it and was interested but haven't tried it yet.
    BelleSorciere
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    edited March 2018
    I used to be a long time member there, and for a while, I loved it. Best server I've played on for along time. I know many of the players by name, and have even met some of them irl. I still keep in touch with them on Skype/Discord. Talk to Mapolq if you need help getting started, he's a good friend of mine and is always happy to help new players.

I haven't played recently, mainly due to time constraints (I just don't have the time to dedicate to NWN2 anymore) but I would definitely recommend it to anyone wishing for a proper RP style experience. We are all RP heavy players and really enjoy that part of the game, so we all try to encourage it. They're always happy to have new members - player counts have been traditionally low, mainly due to the hardcore play style - death punishments used to be crazy-harsh although I think the new GM team has relaxed that a bit - but in a way this is a good thing, as the GMs can dedicate more time to individual players' interests.

There are a few active GMs who run events, or just throw encounters at you, and will encourage players to pro-actively pursue plot interests, helping out by possessing characters and interacting with you. Also, they often try to give long-running characters a lasting legacy. A few retired characters have become NPCs, and some deceased characters have graves in the graveyard. If you have a plot interest that you want to start, you can message one of the GMs, either IG or on the forum, and so long as it's not ridiculous ("I want to dominate the whole of Phlan in two days!!") they'll usually help you get stuff happening.

It's a very different server to the average NWN2 server, so you won't normally be able to rock up with a level 20 monk/sorcerer/RDD, we try to keep things reasonably believable (or at least as believable as we can in a world with goblins, magic and dragons!), and you might find that, at low levels at least, even kobolds can be a threat if you run into combat alone. There's a lot of custom content and a lot of changes to the rules, so you might want to check the forum for specifics, but there's no requirement for joining... just jump in and wander around looking lost, and you'll soon have somebody coming along to help. ;)

ETA: while there's no hard cap, there's sort of a soft-cap of around level 10. Levelling is done mainly by quests and GM run events, with little to no XP for combat. The quests all have party/level requirements, and are designed so that the first 3-4 levels are easy to get, and they get progressively harder, to the point where levelling beyond 10 is pretty much going to take forever, so high level characters are quite rare. The quests are all on a timer, so you can repeat them after 24 hours of real time.
    BelleSorciere
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited March 2018
    Thanks much for the insight. :) I'll check it out when I have the chance.