Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

We need your feedback on the new forum text editor switch.
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Help on Firkraag on Scs!

ariakas2ariakas2 Member Posts: 43
I am playing scs with solo cavalier and i am confronting firkraag. I am lvl 16 currently. I drink lots of potions and use the simulacrum from helm but he is dispelling all my protections with dispel magic. I can take his 2 stoneskins until i die. How can i beat him?

Comments

• BorekBorek Member Posts: 461
    You're likely gonna need one of the wands with Breach and perhaps abuse the zone in/out point to negate his Dispel Magic. By this i mean when under the effects of Haste you *should* be fast enough to zone out when he casts Dispel Magic, but before it lands on you, then you can zone back immediately and fight with your buffs up. Please note that IMO you are highly unlikely to beat him without breaching his defenses.

If you come back at higher level with HLA's you can perhaps use a Deva to keep him busy and some other HLA's can be useful, but bottom line is you need to dispel his defenses somehow. You may need to wait for HLA's, stacking physical resistances via defender of easthaven and Hardiness gives you a huge advantage. Other options may be using attacks that debuff him, like the -2 THAC0 2h sword from underdark, every time you hit him he gets a stacking -2 to hit, lol, which applies on hit not damage, so every stoneskin "ping" lowers his chance to hit you, meaning before long he'll be needing 20's and you can easily get the upper hand.

OrlonKronsteen
  • ariakas2ariakas2 Member Posts: 43
    edited February 23
    oI need carsomyr to dispel his buffs:D

ThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
    edited February 23
    i killed him with zone in zone out tactic. Ty :D

Borek
    ariakas2 said:

oI need carsomyr to dispel his buffs:D

Yeah, for sure, it's why it's such a pain of an encounter, not only is he a tough fight, but he holds the loot you need to make such fights easier haha. Sadly you can't even use the Staff of the Magi as a Cavalier.

If i was forced to come up with a strategy that didn't involve coming back later with HLA's i would say cheese out his dispel magic is detailed above, then use Defender of Easthaven + Flail of Ages to take the edge off his damage and slow him, use the Helm to make a Sim so you have 2x the attacks/slow chances and to hopefully get him wailing on the Sim. Once his Stoneskins are down change to Peridan Main hand + Belm, leave the Sim, if it's alive, with FoA/DoE so it keeps him slowed and knocks off 20% damage.

Not 100% sure how SCS changes things but i'm fairly sure he only casts his remove magic at the beginning of the encounter, so assuming that is the case i think you have a chance, but you may need a few tries because how quickly FoA procs at least 2 slow effects is likely to determine the success chances :wink:

OrlonKronsteen
    edited February 23
    He spams dispel magic randomly so it is hard to guess when it will come. I started with simulacrum and me hitting him. He casted breach instead of dispel magic this time so it was lucky for me. After i overcome second stoneskin, he forget to cast his 3rd for a while so i could hit him until he is injured. But my simulacrum died meanwhile and my hp was less than half. So i zone out and used troll form of cloak of sewers to get my hp back. I reapplied haste and fire immunity with potions then attacked him again. This time his haste buff expired and I managed to kill him after his third stoneskin with drinking 6 health potions or so. I used FoA and Defender of Easthaven and armor of faith to mitigate damage.

I hit him with FoA the whole encounter but he wasnt slowed once. I think he is slow immune. Dispel magic wasnt useful either. It was a hard fight but my paladin is able to walk proudly now:D

OrlonKronsteen
    ariakas2 said:

He spams dispel magic randomly so it is hard to guess when it will come. I started with simulacrum and me hitting him. He casted breach instead of dispel magic this time so it was lucky for me. After i overcome second stoneskin, he forget to cast his 3rd for a while so i could hit him until he is injured. But my simulacrum died meanwhile and my hp was less than half. So i zone out and used troll form of cloak of sewers to get my hp back. I reapplied haste and fire immunity with potions then attacked him again. This time his haste buff expired and I managed to kill him after his third stoneskin with drinking 6 health potions or so. I used FoA and Defender of Easthaven and armor of faith to mitigate damage.

I hit him with FoA the whole encounter but he wasnt slowed once. I think he is slow immune. Dispel magic wasnt useful either. It was a hard fight but my paladin is proud to walk now:D

Yeah you're unlikely to get a Dispel Magic to work on him unless very high level, not sure what his casting level is but wouldn't be surprised if it's as high as 30. I know i have slowed the Shadow Dragon with FoA before, but it is possible it doesn't work on Firkraag, or maybe SCS/Mods add some more immunities.

Love Armour of faith, once you get a few uses of Hardiness it's so nice to stack up the mitigation, much needed for melee's that don't have access to spells that can make them immune.

Congratz on the Sword, it's definitely one of the hardest fights solo.

• GarrusN7GarrusN7 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 131
    I may have cheated myself while fighting him, since...well, Warrior Thief Mage with Any Item on start and inherited Carsomyr...but hell it's worth it. Though even while "cheating" Firkraag is one tough son of a bitch to kill. Almost as hard as the back Dragon with poison lol. Either way, it's fun.

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 755
    edited February 25
    You can also make him a statue. You'll need the sewer key right before him, and fetch the Wand of Wonder from the Temple District Mind Flayer base. There's some difficulty in getting it, but with it you can petrify many hard opponents, like all dragons and Chromatic Demon.

OrlonKronsteen
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 733
    I like to at least double the hp of all dragons with SCS, it really makes you think hard about taking them on pre-Spellhold.

OrlonKronsteen
  • marc5477marc5477 Member Posts: 19
    Not sure if this will help, but he is not immune to poison. I did a number on him with thief snares. Not sure if a pally has any access to poison though.

OrlonKronsteen