Skip to content

Custom tileset compatibility

PW owners might like to take advantage of EE-compatible versions of the following popular tilesets:

Aztec Interior
RL Gothic Interior
Modern Office Interior

Normally, custom tilesets work perfectly in EE. However, a few of the above-mentioned tiles contained scribble, which was miraculously ignored by 1.69 but crashed EE. The corrected versions work on both platforms.

These are the only problems I'm aware of (I have checked the rest of Chandigar's work, with his permission). It looks like the issue had something to do with 3ds max plugin export of lighting animations for interiors back in the day. If anyone else experiences similar crashes, I can probably help.

Comments

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Are these always crashes, or do they sometimes manifest in a corrupt screen but still running game? There is an issue with the project Q override of City Interior in some cases, but I haven't been able to narrow it down yet. Sometimes it crashes, and sometimes you get this.

Any suggestion how to check?
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    edited December 2017
    My examples crash very reliably when the area load progress bar reaches about 20%.

EDIT the bad tiles had compiler errors (or occasionally warnings) owing to corrupt animation names in the newanim and doneanim directives. Your problem might be different. There is a technical discussion here in which I include a moneo script which creates an instance of every tile. In the worst case I guess you could binary chop that area until you find the bad tile(s).
    Post edited by Proleric on
    edited February 2018
    There's a related issue with Legacy of Ilmara and Barry the Hatchet forest and rural/forest tilesets - see bug report.

I have a fix, which I'll upload to the vault if the original authors have no objection.

In this case, I had to resort to a binary chop to find an instance of the bad tiles - thank goodness for Moneo.

(I should emphasize that, in the scheme of things, these are very minor compatibility issues, which we have the means to fix easily, so this has no bearing on any wider discussion of EE compatibility).
  • thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    edited February 2018
    (I see that tileset includes some of Chandigar's work* too, so I guess that makes sense.)

(*which I love, so I didn't mean it that way. I didn't know anyone else made use of the Aztec buildings, I could use more of that in my life. :) )
    @thirdmouse might be a coincidence - the new issue is with forest tiles, not buildings, and the corruption is at end of file, rather than in the torch animations. The connection might simply be that gmax was a bit buggy back in the day when all those guys were creating and sharing.

No blame, if course. You could work with the tiles in gmax forever without seeing these bugs, because they're only visible in a text editor.
  • thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    Ah, fair enough :) Baseless speculation on my part, sorry for muddying your report with it :P
    I posted fixes for the Legacy of Ilmara and Barry the Hatchet forest and rural/forest tilesets, as I haven't heard from the original authors.

If other builders have issues with derived tilesets, those pages list the tiles that were corrected.
    @zunath provided a fix for the Barry the Hatchet Forest tileset, which (as it turns out) is different from those mentioned in my last post.
  • zunathzunath Member Posts: 92
    @Proleric Laputian Bird has some additional fixes he's going to be sending for that tileset. One of us will send it your way when that's done!
    @zunath OK
  • zunathzunath Member Posts: 92
    @Proleric https://www.dropbox.com/s/50m2ikw4cg83p5g/BTH_LaputianFix.zip?dl=1

I haven't done thorough testing, but it seems to work. Interested to hear if you come up with any issues.
    Done.

I was able to re-test every tile in my moneo-generated module. Seems fine to me.
    edited April 2018
    Symphony posted a fix for Steamworks . Though it's not a custom tileset, I mention it here for the record.
    ...also a fix for Castle Rural...