Skip to content

Adding in game text to custom voice sets

GarrusN7GarrusN7 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 155
I downloaded Arthas voice set and seriously like it even as a non good character. HOWEVER, how can I add text when the voice set is played? I'm on Android device.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i dont know how it would work on a phone ( i assume that is what android is? ) but on a pc what you need to do is A ) add dialogue strings in the dialogue.tlk file then B ) you have to into the .2da file CHARSND and add the appropriate string references to the appropriate lines ( SNDSLOT.ids has all the info on which line means what in CHARSND.2da )

so by the sounds of it, it is going to require some phone hacking wizardry, but... if you can get access to these files and edit them, these are the ones you need to edit
  • GarrusN7GarrusN7 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 155
    sarevok57 said:

i dont know how it would work on a phone ( i assume that is what android is? ) but on a pc what you need to do is A ) add dialogue strings in the dialogue.tlk file then B ) you have to into the .2da file CHARSND and add the appropriate string references to the appropriate lines ( SNDSLOT.ids has all the info on which line means what in CHARSND.2da )

so by the sounds of it, it is going to require some phone hacking wizardry, but... if you can get access to these files and edit them, these are the ones you need to edit

Ah....dammit...that's gonna be a piece of work....hmph...does this string edit work in multiplayer?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    GarrusN7 said:

sarevok57 said:

Ah....dammit...that's gonna be a piece of work....hmph...does this string edit work in multiplayer?
    when you edit the dialogue strings from your dialogue talk file and play multiplayer, it will work for you still, but unless your multiplayer chums have the same dialogue talk file then it wont work for them
  • GarrusN7GarrusN7 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 155
    Ah...that's stupid....I wish BD added some sort of an extension on all modable platforms. Would make this whole business easier.
    sarevok57
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited March 2018
    Hi @GarrusN7, @sarevok57 is correct for the PC version but unfortunately you wouldn't be able to do this in the Android version as the dialog.tlk is locked away in an Obb file. There is an easier method but it still wouldn't work on the MP game unless others have it installed as well (and all the same version etc) . Essentially what needs to occur is to edit everything outside of the Android environment, then copy a modfile back. This also requires access to a PC to be able to create the modfile which would hold your modified 'dialog.tlk'.

First, have a look at this discussion, which is the Awesome Soundsets Mod, and you would find a shell to edit and add your custom in-game subtitles. Once that is done, the resulting mod would automate editing the dialog.tlk etc during its install.

Next, you would need to look at this discussion, which details how to build a modfile for Android mods. It might look a bit intimidating but it isn't. It just needs the procedure to be understood, then it is relatively easy.

If you want to go down this path, I can assist and try to answer any Qs that may arise. If you don't have access to a PC, we still might be able to do something. You haven't mentioned what you want install it onto; BGEE, BG2EE, IWDEE, or any of those but the beta versions. I am guessing only BG2EE (since that is the discussion). I can't help with the beta as I haven't downloaded them, but I am guessing that the procedure will be the same.

'Sounds Good'
    Gus
    sarevok57JuliusBorisov