Skip to content

MTR file format and textures

I recently added MTR file support to neverblender and I have some concerns about texture/material data being spread out across three file formats (MDL, TXI and MTR). It's easy to lose track of parameters and textures and loading the files becomes tricky if no care was taken creating them.

My somewhat counter-intuitive request is to add more parameters to MTR file. That way we could put all values into the MTR, if need be.
So far we only have the textureX parameters overwriting the values if the MDL file. I'd like to have the following fields: (also overwriting the corresponding values in the MDL)
  • alpha
  • renderhints (NormalAndSpecMapped) - do we need this?
  • shininess - needs a TXI file to work afaik
  • ambient
  • diffuse
  • specular
Although the last four are probably not all that important. Most models use (1.0,1.0,1.0) for ambient and diffuse and (0.0,0.0,0.0) for specular. Not even sure how well all these work with the new shaders, especially if people use custom ones.

Comments

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    I went looking to try to find out what exactly MTR is. No luck. Google sucks. On the plus side I did stumble across a program that uses that format and is free to use for non-commercial stuff. It is called TetGen. I don't know if you've got a use for it but I thought I'd post the link so you could take a look anyway. Apparently it is
    A Quality Tetrahedral Mesh Generator and a 3D Delaunay Triangulator
    whatever that is.

TR
  • symmetricsymmetric Member Posts: 57
    I was referring to the 8159 patch notes. mtr is a new file format used for materials and can be referenced by mdl files by adding a line materialname myMaterial

In retrospect my post may look a little like the rambling of a madman, especially without any context.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited March 2018
    I missed that. Then again my eyes have sort of started glazing over with all the technical updates. They sort of lost me after normal and specular maps. Having read that I get the impression that txi files are going to become obsolescent as far as new graphics are concerned.
    my post may look a little like the rambling of a madman

He, he. Join the club.

TR
  • zordren3742zordren3742 Member Posts: 207
    edited October 2019
    Post edited by zordren3742 on