Skip to content

Is there any MOD that allows non-thief classes to "Disarm" Traps? [BG, BG2 and IWD]

Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
edited February 2018 in General Modding
I've always found it very annoying that the power of Disarming Traps is entirely exclusive to only the Thief class in BG 1 & 2 and IWD. There are substitutes for stealth, open locks, detect traps and illusions, that are available to at least one other class, but there's no spell or ability that disarms traps or removes them. This makes playing without a thief very inconvenient, as even with extreme meta-gaming, it's not possible to remember the location and type, and avoid the effects of all traps, and moreover, summons too cannot be used for triggering traps. Many a times, I wished to solo with a non-thief character, but the problem of Traps always discouraged me from it (I'm just an amateur gamer, not a highly experienced veteran).

So, is there any MOD to allow non-thief classes to somehow Disarm Traps?

I've tried using opcode 279 [Button: Enable Button] to enable Thieving Skill Button, but it simply doesn't work!

Any spells, any items, any way, to disarm traps...without a Thief?

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Not without some form of a thief.

You could summon monsters that have the Thief class to unlock them, or change your character's class to Thief temporarily (there was a mod that did this for Bards), but nope. Can't do it otherwise.

I've toyed with the idea of an item (Thiefs tools) that does something similar, but I suspect it would feel far too hacky for most people's tastes... even by my standards.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited February 2018

You could summon monsters that have the Thief class to unlock them...

Monsters like what? Can you please give me an example, @Aquadrizzt?

I've toyed with the idea of an item (Thiefs tools) that does something similar, but I suspect it would feel far too hacky for most people's tastes... even by my standards.

Did you succeed in making it (the Thief tools)? I definitely agree it'd be considered cheating by most people, but I'd gladly use it as a "convenience" utility (I really hate triggering traps, and I like to loot all the chests). Maybe something like a wand or staff of Disarm Traps, with limited charges per day? How about it?
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    you won't like this answer but CTRL + 4
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited February 2018
    If you are able to cast familiar, you could probably add some disarm traps skills (edit through EEKeeper) to the thief style familairs like cat, rabbit and ferret. Never tried it but I can't see why this wouldn't work. They seem to have all the appropriate icons. Will give it a bash and see what happens.

Gus

Post edited by Gusinda on

you won't like this answer but CTRL + 4

@SirBatince That's more like otherworldly intervention. :D

I'd like convenience, but not something like that. Something that the character does, not I as an outside agent.
    Gusinda said:

If you are able to cast familiar, you could probably add some disarm traps skills (edit through EEKeeper) to the thief style familairs like cat, rabbit and ferret. Never tried it but I can't see why this wouldn't work. They seem to have all the appropriate icons. Will give it a bash and see what happens.

Gus

@Gusinda I thought they could only detect traps. I don't know if they have that Thief Skill button (with the Infinity loop shape) in their bottom hotkey panel, for I never tried playing them. I'd tried adding that button to my player character, and it didn't work, so unless they already have it, I'm not sure if it will be activated. But if anything would work, I think this has the greatest chance. :)
    edited February 2018
    @Rik_Kirtaniya, it requires editing with EEKeeper/NearInfinity to allocate the points...

Created a Chaotic Neutral Dwavern Fighter and gave him the Beastmaster Find Familiar as an innate skill. Cast and received a cat. Gave the cat some skills in Find Trap and Open Locks. The cat was able to find the trap in Winthrop's Inn and disable the trap.

Edit: Just out of interest, also created a Cleric and gave the innate Familiar and no probs. All worked well.
    @Gusinda Wow, that's just brilliant! Exactly the thing I was looking for! Just a quick question, after editing the Cat familiar, did you just save its .CRE file directly in EEKeeper, or did you have to extract it to the Override folder? And the file name is FAMCAT, right?

And thanks a lot! You've just helped a young adventurer on his way to glory. I shall remember this act of benevolence. :)
    edited February 2018
    Just to inform you, it's working perfectly! I chose a rabbit over a cat because rabbits are cuter, then edited the FAMRAB.cre file and put it inside the override folder. This was just excellent, @Gusinda! Thanks once again. :smiley:
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

chose a rabbit over a cat because rabbits are cuter

Blatant LIES!
  • CandleBesideCandleBeside Member Posts: 38
    Hi, I am sure that I haven't installed any mod for the familiars, but I just realized, that my cat of my dualled Thief->Mage can actually disaram traps! (IWD:EE)
    Is that a bug? Or is it because the familiar is bond to the master, and now the cat knows how to disarm traps too? ^^
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Are you guys aware of any mod that allows summons to activate traps?
    @CandleBeside, just tried and it didn't work for me (a number of times)... Also looked at the famcat.cre file and the cat has 0 skills points. Would you be able to open you famcat.cre and have a look (you can do this EEKeeper, FILE, open CRE).

@Raduziel - Depends on what is meant by activate. I haven't tried to set traps with a summons, but just did a quick test on the cat familiar, gave it Inate Set Snare, and it was able to set a trap (if that was what you mean). If by activate, you mean to set the it off, I think the summons would need to go red... Tried with a bunch and couldn't get them to set it off. Not aware of any mods that would do this.

Gus
    @Gusinda I meant the second option. And not set off the party's traps, but the hostile traps.

Thanks!
    edited March 2018

Hi, I am sure that I haven't installed any mod for the familiars, but I just realized, that my cat of my dualled Thief->Mage can actually disaram traps! (IWD:EE)
    Is that a bug? Or is it because the familiar is bond to the master, and now the cat knows how to disarm traps too? ^^

Hello there, @CandleBeside! I think it's probably due to the cat's Dexterity bonus that it's getting a small number of bonus points in Disarm Traps (even though the base is zero). It might be that the particular trap that the cat was able to disarm had a low traps skill requirement (each trap has a definite value, so some can be disarmed more easily than others), so the cat could disarm it with just the points that it received as a Dexterity bonus. I think that explains the apparent mystery. :)

EDIT:

Here's the un-modded Cat Familiar's stats from EEKeeper. Look, it has got an effective "Find Traps" skill value of 5, due to 18 Dexterity. That might just be enough for a few small traps.
    Post edited by Rik_Kirtaniya on
  • CandleBesideCandleBeside Member Posts: 38

That might just be enough for a few small traps.

Yes, I opened the file and it looks exactly like yours.

@Gusinda Perhaps those traps were really a very easy to find and disarm, as @Rik_Kirtaniya said. I was at the third level of Severed Hand Tower:

Anyhow, I think its very nice that they can actually do it. :smile:

I'm trying to imagine how do you disarm a trap without opposing thumbs.
    Raduziel said:

I'm trying to imagine how do you disarm a trap without opposing thumbs.

It's all magic... ;)