Skip to content

How old were you when you got BG?

ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
I remember I was 19 back in 1998 and didn't know a thing about Baldurs Gate. Went to a PC shop in my 1st year at university and randomly picked up BG, little did I know how fantasic it would be! Oh to have so much spare time to play BG endlessly again...

Comments

• roboticsunroboticsun Member Posts: 42
    edited September 2012
    I got into it when I was in college back to 10 years ago. It's funny that at that time I was addicted to warcraft series, then my roommate told me that Baldur's Gate series is similar to warcraft; In the game, you control a group of people killing monsters in a fantasy world (it was a lie) and eventually he convinced me to play with him.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Nov. 30th 1998 was the release date? If so then I would be 8. My Dad probably picked it up around 1999. I obviously didn't know anything about BG, let alone AD&D. All I can remember back then is my Dad getting pissed at Tarnesh killing him in front of the FAI. :)
  • benighted_starlightbenighted_starlight Member Posts: 31
    edited September 2012
    It was given to me as a birthday gift (by my english teacher of all people) around 2001-2002. The game was a very very beautiful release which bundled BG I and TotSC together. I was 12 at the time and already into gaming. I remember looking at the game dumbfounded, speechless. I'd just read my first Salvatore novel and Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring and here was this game that visualised it all for me, right in my monitor. Its atmosphere and setting, the graphic design of the ambience, its music, all proved to be a journey to me which I never forgot.

Imagine my joy when I found out there was a SECONG BG.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I was 11 , and gained it as a birthday gift , too - I had to choose between BG2 and Diablo 2 - reason won the day!
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I was in that age where you heavily get drunk while clubbing
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    I was only 102.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    I was 266 in dog years.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I'm not sure how old I was when I first played it, but I remember that I had bought some weird demo version that just contained the first 2 chapters. I don't think I liked it the first time I tried it (probably had alot to do with not understanding any of the game mechanics) but a while later I gave it another shot and found it alot of fun and ended up buying BG1+2 and expansions. I think I bought them in 2004 or 2005 (I think I was around 13 years old).

Also I think I may have seen the non-interactive demo back from 1997, although the memory is really hazy because I would have only been been like 6 or 7. I think I remember not understanding why I couldn't control the characters. Thinking back, it's kinda weird that the demo would even be on my home computer because no one else in my family plays video games.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I was 5. LOL
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I was 33.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I was around 25
  • civian1991civian1991 Member Posts: 57
    edited November 2012
    I remember I was 8 or 9 when my brother and I got it, he would hog the PC and I would try to persuade him to let me loot the bodies of the gibberlings he killed lol
    Post edited by civian1991 on
  • TuckerTucker Member Posts: 16
    i got bg free with a pc my parents bought it was a dvd copy im sure it was 99 so a year after release i try'ed like mad to play the game i was only 11 at the time but it was quite buggy on the pc i had, it started to auto pause all the time and i couldn't get into it. i don't mean auto pause on attack i mean like i was rapidly slapping the space key and the game was very juttery.
    Maybe 6 months later i was trying to play again and i found if i held the shift key down the auto pause didn't happen a little inconvenient but hey i could start out on the adventure. It turned out once i had a party member it no longer bugged out and i could play the game un-effected so after about 30 restarts i finally figured out proper character creation and the directions i should be taking and started to really enjoy the game.

I now play bg1 and 2 as well as all the expansions and a lot of the fan based mods at least once a year its funny to think that back in 99 it took me easily a year to actual begin and complete bg 1 and now im 24 and can complete it in no time flat i still find little odds and ends iv not discovered before.
    I very rarely find that drive in new games where i want to find every little think apart from fallout NV that's probably the only game i try to find everything, good connection to fallout 1 and 2 in terms of the games lore.
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    Yeah I remember my PC at the time struggling with scrolling over the map and the mouse curser lagging over the screen jumping from place to place. After I upgrading to [insert old graphic card] it was so smooth in comparison!
  • alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    I got my first taste of Baldur's Gate 2 in a demo disk that came with my Dad's subscription of PC Gamer. I don't remember what date or issue number it was. But we had to delete almost all the other demos on the computer to install the demo of BG2. I was hooked ever since. (I was born in '89 so I don't think I was much older than 10. If that.)
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Just beyond the half-century mark IIRC....
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    I was around 16 years old in that time and still didn't get girlfriends , Now , i have a family with my wife and my 1 years old lovely daughter , it really likes a dream,
  • FrostikenFrostiken Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2012
    I honestly don't remember, it was that long ago. All I remember was the glue was bad on my 5-CD-holder-thinger and one of the CDs had glue stuck to it and was unreadable, and attempting to get the glue off left a nasty scratch. I was devastated... one of my friends had a CD polisher and it took the scratch right out!

I think I still have that obnoxiously large cardboard monstrosity somewhere.

I don't even remember why I got it or why I was excited for it. I never to this day put much interest in game journalism (lol)... I just knew I had to have it.

Based on when it came out I'd peg my age at around 12 or 13.

Oh and I remember deleting tons of shit randomly off the computer to make room for it.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited September 2012
    I've only known the game for about 5 years, so I must have been 36 or somewhere near.

Which makes me an exception, so it seems. The only 30-something together with BelgarathMTH.
    +1 for the over 30s here too :-)
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Eight years old, back in 1998-1999. Didn't speak English until I was 14 so I had a hard time playing. Luckily when I was 10 I got an Italian version, which is my second mother tongue (being in part Italian). Even though some parts were horrible (like Spider Bane's description used to be a dialogue option if I am not mistaken)
  • SouldancertnSouldancertn Member Posts: 45
    I was a sophomore in high school. My friend let me borrow BG1. I was pretty ambivalent about it but it came with a pretty detailed map so I figured it was worth a shot. I knew nothing about AD&D and didn't know anything about the game. Once I installed it I was sucked in immediately. I made a bard that specialized in halberds (thought it sounded cool, haha) and when the game screen came on with your character in front of the inn surrounded by fog of war I strained over the hand drawn map of Baldur's Gate (the city) trying to find where I was, not realizing that I was in far away Candlekeep...
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251

Eight years old, back in 1998-1999. Didn't speak English until I was 14 so I had a hard time playing. Luckily when I was 10 I got an Italian version, which is my second mother tongue (being in part Italian). Even though some parts were horrible (like Spider Bane's description used to be a dialogue option if I am not mistaken)

Interesting

I was 8 as well, and owned a Traditional Chinese version of the game.

Baldur's Gate was how I picked up English, in fact, and, man, am I glad to learn English the most awesome way.
    edited September 2012

I've only known the game for about 5 years, so I must have been 36 or somewhere near.

Which makes me an exception, so it seems. The only 30-something together with BelgarathMTH.

Had you read my post and done some math you'd see there's another even older than you ;-/....moi.

As the Werewolf philosopher in my game said(it will never see the light of day but i've been working on my own mmo for a few yrs now) "You are all puppies!! suckling on the teat of my wisdom" taken out of context it might not make sense and i actually don't know why i included it here other than feeling old thanks to this thread lol

Had you read my post and done some math you'd see there's another even older than you ;-/....moi.

Well, wasn't familiar with what a 'dog year' is. Just now I checked Wiki, it says it equals 1/7th of a year. Actually, the math doesn't go any further than telling you were 38 when you got Baldur's Gate. You're post doesn't say when you got BG. There's an untold presumption perhaps, you got it when it came out? Than you're indeed older!

• Agent_WAgent_W Member Posts: 4
    13 years old, the best age to actually know what a really good RPG is imo. Some of today's RPGs just don't hit the mark like BG does.

Well, wasn't familiar with what a 'dog year' is. Just now I checked Wiki, it says it equals 1/7th of a year. Actually, the math doesn't go any further than telling you were 38 when you got Baldur's Gate. You're post doesn't say when you got BG. There's an untold presumption perhaps, you got it when it came out? Than you're indeed older!

Sorry if that sounded rude, i didn't mean it to :-). I was teasing. Yes i bought the game the day it came out and was 38 at that time which makes me...ancient now hehe.

Sorry if that sounded rude, i didn't mean it to :-). I was teasing. Yes i bought the game the day it came out and was 38 at that time which makes me...ancient now hehe.

Don't worry. I actually worried about the same thing, if my reply sounded more offended than I really feel.

Nice to see someone over 50 enjoying the game. Venturing out into territory where people usually only play Spider Solitaire, though perhaps it is unfair to pit you into one group with people like my parents (71, playing Spider, I had quite a laugh when my father worried about getting a good videocard for his new PC, when the only game he plays is spider).

Out of curiosity, what was your first ever computer-game?
    Wow! memory test here...my 1st game that i can remember playing was a little gem caled "Garden Wars" on my old Vic 20 lol.
    Wow that beats my 'frak' on the bbc :-)