Skip to content

Taking ideas from NWN2

I'd love to see a couple of things that NWN2 did brought into NWN.

* Cut scene dialogue options that are easy to implement.
* Maps that have extra area that isn't accessible that makes the world appear to continue beyond the edge.
* The ability to change placeable heights in the toolset with the Page Up and Page Down buttons.
* Two kinds of area map, one in the corner and a larger version to look at.

I'm sure I could think of more.

Comments

• TrinitalTrinital Member Posts: 59
    Of all the amazing things NWN2 did.

"* Maps that have extra area that isn't accessible that makes the world appear to continue beyond the edge."

Has been one of the most annoying and silly things to deal with. There's nothing stopping module makers from doing their own background tiles - enforcing them on every single exterior area was a very silly thing.

I wish Obsidian never did that.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    I liked the overland map in Storm of Zehir. Like in the goldbox games.

You got a true feeling of exploration, secret locations, random encounters... it increases the scope of the world beyond the actual areas that have been built.
    PaddyMaxson
  • InflatableFriendInflatableFriend Member Posts: 57
    I thought the same about the map edgers, then Sherincall (I think) just said make your areas 1 or 2 tiles bigger and use the extra size as edges. Seems sensible.

I'd still like hybrid tiles (tiled terrain deformable with height maps), toolset visible paintable, cutable walkmesh, NWN2s lighting.

I'd also like a modified version of their appearance system... But that's coz I'm weird.
  • ProphetSwordProphetSword Member Posts: 43
    The problem with making your own edges (which I've done), is that sometimes players can slip over into them, which isn't possible when it's made inaccessible by the toolset. Blocking them with objects or invisible walls is a lot of work, and sometimes a glitch can throw you over the invisible wall.

Honestly, I'd like that option, even if it's one that designers can turn on and off for individual maps (so you don't have to use them if you don't want to).
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387

Blocking them with objects or invisible walls is a lot of work, and sometimes a glitch can throw you over the invisible wall.

Best do it with a large trigger painted around the walkable area.
  • PaddyMaxsonPaddyMaxson Member Posts: 28

I liked the overland map in Storm of Zehir. Like in the goldbox games.

You got a true feeling of exploration, secret locations, random encounters... it increases the scope of the world beyond the actual areas that have been built.

I believe with a mix of scalable character models/placeables and scripting, this would absolutely be doable in NWN:EE. Might be a bit complicated but I can think of ways to do this stuff. You could literally make an area that's the "world map", scale and slow the movement of the characters on it and do the rest with a bunch of triggers.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    It's essentially possible to do a similar overland map even without EE, some pw's already supported scaling and then it's just a matter of scripting and painting triggers and waypoints.
  • ProphetSwordProphetSword Member Posts: 43
    I think what some people might be missing with these suggestions is that while there are ways to do these things, it would be nice to have easy options built into the toolset to do them that don't require as much work.
    cherryzero