Skip to content

New Capes and Cloaks: animations or physics? Clipping?

So, I wonder whether, for new content, especially capes, we'd have to attach them to an existing animation set or we'd be let off the hook by assigning physics to them and let the engine do the rest. After all, the game does feature them, to a limited extent (see: Aribeth's boobs).

I also can't help but notice that the godawful clipping issue of robes / armor and capes is still present. Perhaps the updated models will help about that?

Comments

• InflatableFriendInflatableFriend Member Posts: 57
    Danglymesh isn't really physics though, it just inteprets where the model was, where it is now and adds a dash of wind value (I think, someone please correct me).

It doesn't deform around other objects in the way you'd want something to to get rid of cloak clipping.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992

Danglymesh isn't really physics though, it just inteprets where the model was, where it is now and adds a dash of wind value (I think, someone please correct me).

It doesn't deform around other objects in the way you'd want something to to get rid of cloak clipping.

oh dear. So all these years I've believed I lie?
  • dafenadafena Member Posts: 74
    Danglymesh just moves the vertices around in a determined space (I think).

Capes works like robes, you put the model and skinmesh it, the thing is that you need to make as many phenotypes you have. So, let's say you want to add a new cape to everyone? That means a male, female, as many phenotypes you have on your module and every race. Something like 10 x Y. If you want it only for the two default phenotypes (Normal and Large) that's 20 different models.

And yes it might clip :pensive:
    dafena said:

Danglymesh just moves the vertices around in a determined space (I think).

Capes works like robes, you put the model and skinmesh it, the thing is that you need to make as many phenotypes you have. So, let's say you want to add a new cape to everyone? That means a male, female, as many phenotypes you have on your module and every race. Something like 10 x Y. If you want it only for the two default phenotypes (Normal and Large) that's 20 different models.

And yes it might clip :pensive:

My life has been a lie until now!
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    I prefer the old animations before cloaks even using the new cloaks. Some minor clipping bothers me less than the stick up the butt animations that cloaks forced on us.
    dTd said:

I prefer the old animations before cloaks even using the new cloaks. Some minor clipping bothers me less than the stick up the butt animations that cloaks forced on us.

oh come on, I remember I was so happy to discover cloaks were finally in-game!
    I was happy as well, but I disliked how they took over everything, so much so I persuaded thrikreen to give an invisible appearance for those who didn't want them. On The Badlands PW there are 2 versions of every cloak, one is invisible :)
    dTd said:

I was happy as well, but I disliked how they took over everything, so much so I persuaded thrikreen to give an invisible appearance for those who didn't want them. On The Badlands PW there are 2 versions of every cloak, one is invisible :)

Ah, how to complicate stuff.
    edited March 2018
    It may seem complicated but we had been online for years and the player base had factions gear which contained capes in the neck slot as well as a lot of CEP content. Making invisible copies of a few robes seemed much easier than throwing out all the custom gear.