Skip to content

Playing BG for the first time, after BG2, some thoughts.

I was totally new to these games a few months ago, but I regularly saw BG2 being cited as a GOAT contender for video games/RPGs. I eventually took the plunge and bought/played through BG2, which was SPECTACULAR, and it's been interesting now visiting BG1 after the fact...

Firstly, BG2 really does throw you right into the middle of the whole D&D ruleset/universe with little or no tutorial! I had to watch many a youtube video to wrap my head around the specifics of combat/spellcasting etc. In this respect I really wish I had played through BG1 first, which takes the player through the basics.

Secondly, it seems to me that BG1 simply has more... wandering around built into the game. That is to say, open forest environments where there may, or may not, be something to see and do. This gives the game a kind of expansive charm, but I found the overall artwork & environmental diversity in BG2 to be more interesting. Similarly, the dungeons themselves in BG1 are often rather maze-like and generic in their appearance, compared once again to the diversity found within BG2.

Finally, who knew (now playing BG1 after BG2) that I'd be so excited to find a long sword +1. My impression has been that the items really leap forwards in strength & value in BG2...

Anyways, what has been most impressive to me is that both BG1 & 2 really feel like one seem-less game. I see little value in drawing comparisons as BG1 transitions so effortlessly into BG2, I noticed a mod that actually constructs a sort of meta-game out of the two, which seems like a great idea.

Comments

• brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    It is and best RPG ever, better to start BG1 to BG2
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Yay, another convert, welcome. :)

I can't imagine playing BG2 first.

I think BG has the heart, BG2 has the thrills.
    BG2 maybe a better game, probably is.

But for me, it's BG that causes you to fall in love with the games.
    The investment in the character and the whole saga is created and cemented in BG. You care so darn much for your charname and party at the end of BG. The start of BG2 is a real sucker punch (brilliant writing and concept).

But by the end of BG2 you are a bit worn out, a bit been there, done that, OMG there's more?
  • GaelicVigilGaelicVigil Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2018
    Great analysis. I prefer BG1 far more to BG2 for too many reasons to list here, but a big one is the theme. BG1 feels like a grown-ups RPG since it deals with solving an iron shortage and, later, political corruption. It also has more of a rugged "Conan" vibe to it (including the music) where you're battling thieves and bandits and solving small-scale problems like rescuing women (Dynaheir) or grave robbing (Firewine, Ulcaster).

In BG2, on the otherhand, it feels much more fantastical where you're battling weird monsters and plane jumping every 5 minutes. The battles also seem to become much more micromanaged and tedious to me. I also dislike many of the maps in BG2 because they are either difficult to visually navigate and/or too "artsy", if that makes sense. In the planar maps, especially, I often wonder what I'm even looking at.

But, yeah, taken as a whole, the series is amazing all the way through Throne of Bhaal. My favorite series of all time. I can't get enough of these games.
  • BleriotBleriot Member Posts: 31
    ihcob said:

I was totally new to these games a few months ago, but I regularly saw BG2 being cited as a GOAT contender for video games/RPGs. I eventually took the plunge and bought/played through BG2, which was SPECTACULAR, and it's been interesting now visiting BG1 after the fact...

Firstly, BG2 really does throw you right into the middle of the whole D&D ruleset/universe with little or no tutorial! I had to watch many a youtube video to wrap my head around the specifics of combat/spellcasting etc. In this respect I really wish I had played through BG1 first, which takes the player through the basics.

Secondly, it seems to me that BG1 simply has more... wandering around built into the game. That is to say, open forest environments where there may, or may not, be something to see and do. This gives the game a kind of expansive charm, but I found the overall artwork & environmental diversity in BG2 to be more interesting. Similarly, the dungeons themselves in BG1 are often rather maze-like and generic in their appearance, compared once again to the diversity found within BG2.

Finally, who knew (now playing BG1 after BG2) that I'd be so excited to find a long sword +1. My impression has been that the items really leap forwards in strength & value in BG2...

Anyways, what has been most impressive to me is that both BG1 & 2 really feel like one seem-less game. I see little value in drawing comparisons as BG1 transitions so effortlessly into BG2, I noticed a mod that actually constructs a sort of meta-game out of the two, which seems like a great idea.

The one game approach of the EET is today the perfect way to enjoy the extended (+SoD) trilogy.