Skip to content

Claw of Kazgaroth (MISC72.ITM) save penalty inconsistent; CON penalty not applied

IgneousIgneous Member Posts: 368
edited July 2012 in Fixed
Current behaviour: The Claw of Kazgaroth's (MISC72.ITM) penalty to save vs. death is inconsistent. Its item description states it confers a -4 penalty, while in actuality the penalty is -3 (as can be seen from the character sheet and in the ITM file). This issue applies to BG1, BG2, and BGEE. Furthermore, in BGEE (and only BGEE) the Claw's CON penalty is not applied when equipped.

Expected behaviour: The Claw of Kazgaroth's save vs. death penalty should be consistent with its item description, or vice versa. The item's CON penalty should be applied.

Games affected: BGEE, BG1/BG2 (partially).

Notes: I think there may be something wrong with BGEE's Opcode #10 (CON Modifier), because exporting BGEE's MISC72 resource into BG2 results in successful application of the CON penalty. Upon further investigation, by modifying a copy of MISC72 I've discovered that BGEE will apply the CON modifier effect when the increment value is positive, but not when negative. I also encountered this phenomenon when trying to use Opcode #6 (Charisma Modifier) to apply a penalty in order to test the CHA net negative wrapping fix.
Post edited by Bhryaen on

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited June 2012
    @Igneous is on an insightful roll!

Is it possible that the negative wrapping fix caused this collateral bug to appear? The plot thickens...

EDIT: The Claw of Kazgaroth appears to be a P&P item, though I cannot find its P&P stats on the internet. I have no idea whether its Baldur's Gate implementation is faithful to the rules, but from what I coudl gather it is not.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    I'll check this one out.
    I fixed the save vs. death penalty, it is now -4 which should appear as (+4) on your character sheet. The CON penalty is being applied at -2.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    On a broader note, wouldn't it make more sense for saving throw bonuses to be listed as -X, and penalties as +Y? It can get confusing to see a penalty listed as -4 appear as +4 in your character sheet if you're not acquainted with the rules.
    @AndreaColombo Well, I think it's because it's hard to comunicate that the number gets subtracted from your roll when the only number on your character sheet shows the number you have to beat.

@Cuv I'm gonna try the fancy new split plug-in to move your comment to its own thread in the bug section.