Skip to content

No constitution score: simulate, ignore or supersede?

In the original game, there is no mechanism to allow for scores that don't exist, such as constitution for the undead. I am uncertain that abilities exist which actually take this into account, but still.

In the EE, what will be the best way to take this into account?

- simulation via script, even if I don't have a clue how
- ignore altogether, perhaps via some workaround?
- supersede, like D&D 5th did, by assigning a constitution score.

Comments

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I think it will depend on some other features first. Such as customizable UI allowing the correct representation and scripting function like SetAbilityScore or LockAbilityScoreAtValue, also some kind of SetMaxHP to simulate dice changes.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    edited March 2018
    So, ultimately, which fix would you believe it's best to apply? ignore the situation, give a simulated constitution score or simulate via script?

FYI: the game is a bit inconsistent. It tends to apply a mixture of ignore and 5e inspired rules.
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141
    edited March 2018

So, ultimately, which fix would you believe it's best to apply? ignore the situation, give a simulated constitution score or simulate via script?

FYI: the game is a bit inconsistent. It tends to apply a mixture of ignore and 5e inspired rules.

In PnP I believe no score was treated as a score of 10 where it was relevant. So I'd just suggest giving all undead and constructs 10 Constitution. Then a script or a new ability to make them immune to Constitution bonuses.
    Proont said:

In PnP I believe no score was treated as a score of 10 where it was relevant. So I'd just suggest giving all undead and constructs 10 Constitution. Then a script or a new ability to make them immune to Constitution bonuses.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#nonabilities

I thought the discipline was more complicated than this?
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141

Proont said:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#nonabilities

I thought the discipline was more complicated than this?
    The modifier of +0 is the same as for a score of 10. The most common non abilities are Strength, Constitution, and Intelligence if I recall. In the toolset you can manually remove feats and skill points to simulate 0 Int. A Str of 0 can be simulated by Str of 10 and Weapon Finesse in all attack forms the creature possesses. A Dex Nonability is mostly the domain of hostile plant creatures. I think you can already make creatures immobile then just set the Dex to 10. I've already discussed Constitution. I don't remember if Immunity: Ability Drain protects against temporary penalties too. Although it would be annoying to make any creature with a score of 0 immune to all ability drain.

Scripts could be used to make creatures auto-fail ability checks when important. I don't think NWN uses ability checks though. Ability checks are mainly used for skill checks when the player/npc/monster doesn't have the correct skill, such as a Str check for trying to swim or climb. I don't believe that's in the base game.

I think most nonabilities can be simulated in the toolset right now. If Beamdog wants to add them into the game I'd be fine with it.

Also, as a sidenote, it's been awhile since I've played in the toolset or PnP so I could be misremembering some things.
    Maybe it could be possible to select which abilities are protected from ability drain?