Skip to content

Linux Support from Beamdog Client

Hi,

I was about to purchase NWN:EE from the Beamdog site to support the devs, but it seems there is no Linux support listed for this game on the Beamdog store. There is Linux support on the Steam page, however.

I see that people are reporting Linux bugs from the beta, so I assume the Beamdog store version of the game must work on Linux. Is it not listed as such because there is no official Linux support from Beamdog? I would like to support the devs by buying directly from their site, but not if they will not sell specifically a Linux version.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Hello!

Our Beamdog version works on Linux, fine and dandy. We have a special linux-x86 folder in our Install Folder/bin. No toolset currently, but nwmain and nwserver.
  • meowmeowfuzzyfacemeowmeowfuzzyface Member Posts: 11

Hello!

Our Beamdog version works on Linux, fine and dandy. We have a special linux-x86 folder in our Install Folder/bin. No toolset currently, but nwmain and nwserver.

Thank you for confirming that it does indeed run on Linux. So why is Linux support not listed on the Beamdog store page?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    We'll look into it (the page information). Thank you!
  • VivienneLVivienneL Member Posts: 52
    It was a nice surprise to learn that the Beamdog version works on linux out of the box. I've been playing on Linux for years but using Wine as it seemed a hassle to make the Linux client work and so I always put off doing it as works so well in wine in its "windows version"
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    VivienneL said:

It was a nice surprise to learn that the Beamdog version works on linux out of the box. I've been playing on Linux for years but using Wine as it seemed a hassle to make the Linux client work and so I always put off doing it as works so well in wine in its "windows version"

You've missed out sadly, nwn plays so perfectly in linux native I prefer it over any other platform. All that needed to be done was to use the 1.69 critical rebuild and run the fixinstall.sh file to lowercase the filenames then it runs as flawlessly as any program I've ever run. Not so with EE, where the fullscreen is mucked up and no screen edge turning.
    edited March 2018
    dTd said:

Not so with EE, where the fullscreen is mucked up and no screen edge turning.

These are known problems and are being worked on.
    I know sir, wasn't meaning any slander :)
    I guess I've missed out then but I could try it now until the issues in EE get fixed. So the screen edge turning does work in 1.69?
    Absolutely.
    I would like to elaborate on the screen edge turning issue in Linux for NWN:EE.
    A couple of days ago, I updated both the Retail version and the Development version of Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition from the Beamdog client and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the screen edge camera is working now. I also noticed that Neverwinter Nights was starting in fullscreen mode whereas previously it was starting with the Ubuntu top bar still showing. I checked the nwn.ini file and saw that fullscreen was set to 1 like so: "FullScreen=1". I changed it to "FullScreen=0" and ran the game again and now the ubuntu top bar was showing and the screen edge camera stopped working again.
    So to solve this issue all we have to do is open up nwn.ini and make sure it says "FullScreen=1".
    Problem solved!!
    Hope this helps others who are having this problem.

I have posted the above on the bug page as well. I'm wondering if this was the problem all along and we just didn't realize it. This problem was so annoying to me that I avoided playing on Linux and the Ubuntu top bar showing up was annoying too. I didn't realize that the game wasn't in fullscreen.
  • BigdamHeroBigdamHero Member Posts: 2
    I downloaded the beamdog client on linux but I have never run any games on linux. How do I install it or what do I run?
    Sorry for a linux nober question.
    edited May 2019
    For Ubuntu: click on the Beamdog client and it'll ask if you want to "execute" the file and say yes. This will start the Beamdog client and you can proceed to install your games just like in the client for Windows. Another way to start the Beamdog client is to right click on it, select properties and in the permissions tab make sure the "allow executing file as program" is checked. This should allow you to click it and run it. Hope this helps.
    Now that the issue mentioned above is resolved the game is enjoyable in Linux.
    You could also try running it in "wine" which will also allow you to run the toolset. "PlayonLinux" or "Lutris" can be used to make the installation of wine easy or you can just install wine the regular way (google wine hq for complete instructions) and play Neverwinter Nights by clicking on nwn.exe in the bin folder of the Beamdog Library which is probably located in your home folder.
    I've been playing Neverwinter Nights in Linux using wine for years and found it more stable than Windows7 which had started giving me odd errors and not starting etc. Hope this helps.