Skip to content

Running the EE Keeper with Android (can't find android saves on my PC)

7r1ky7r1ky Member Posts: 5
Hello, I wanted to use the EE Keeper to modify saves from Baldurs Gate: Enhanced Edition that I play on Android phone so I connected my phone to my PC, but it doesn't find the game's files. From what I've read, they should be in sdcard/Android/obb/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition, but on my PC it's just an empty folder. Do you know how to get my computer to read it properly? I'm using Windows 7 and Huawei Honor 8, if that helps. Thanks a lot!
Post edited by 7r1ky on

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited March 2017
    G'Day 7rlky,

Editing your game saves from an android game will depend a number of things from what is it you actually want to edit (just attributes or add items?) and what version of BGEE you are running on your PC. If you don't have the same version (v1.3.x) you may need to setup the right environment first. For this, I suggest you look at https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43990/how-to-install-mods-on-android. Even though that is looking at adding mods to the android game but it setups up the environment that allow EEKeeper to search for the right type of contents (items, spells, efffects etc).

If you have the same version on your PC, you only need to copy your saved game to your saved games folder, which in Windows should be in your documents folder under \Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save.

You can try and edit the game using different versions (2.x on your PC) but I would be careful about adding items and effects that are new to SoD... Have't tried it myself but it might work if you only want to adjust something basic like CHARNAME attributes, race, some proficiencies...

Your saved games on the android platform should be found in sdcard/Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/files/save (not in /obb, that is where game content is).

Hope that helps...
    Gus

• WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Because beamdog are too lazy to update there games the main solutions is revert your pc version to 1.3 to avoid different version issues or if u have Intel based android device use eekeeper via crossover app.
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    Wesboi said:

Because beamdog are too lazy to update there games the main solutions is revert your pc version to 1.3 to avoid different version issues or if u have Intel based android device use eekeeper via crossover app.

Come on, man..

The guy asked a question, the later half of your post would have sufficed as a proper answer. No need to bash Beamdog.

At the defence of the guys and girls over at Beamdog, in case @7r1ky doesn't keep up with things (which can be hard at times), the lack of mobile updates has a lot more behind it than them being "lazy."

They've got a recently announced PST:EE in the works, with hopes for an April release. Along with that, they're working on getting SoD on mobile devices, which is proving to be a challenge with apple's 4gb app limit.

There's also rumours of a "large" project in the works. I'm not sure how much truth there is behind that, though.

Either way, Beamdog is a small company, it's not like they have Blizzard numbers in their office. They need time to work through things.

Updating the games on all platforms will come with time. Bashing them on an online forum is going to do nothing to speed up the process, however.
    Papa_Lou said:

Wesboi said:

Come on, man..

The guy asked a question, the later half of your post would have sufficed as a proper answer. No need to bash Beamdog.

At the defence of the guys and girls over at Beamdog, in case @7r1ky doesn't keep up with things (which can be hard at times), the lack of mobile updates has a lot more behind it than them being "lazy."

They've got a recently announced PST:EE in the works, with hopes for an April release. Along with that, they're working on getting SoD on mobile devices, which is proving to be a challenge with apple's 4gb app limit.

There's also rumours of a "large" project in the works. I'm not sure how much truth there is behind that, though.

Either way, Beamdog is a small company, it's not like they have Blizzard numbers in their office. They need time to work through things.

Updating the games on all platforms will come with time. Bashing them on an online forum is going to do nothing to speed up the process, however.
    At least I provide support can't see many solutions in your post. So keep it on topic.

@7r1ky don't bother installing crossover on any android device what's not Intel or it won't work period.
  • 7r1ky7r1ky Member Posts: 5
    Thanks a ton guys, I appreciate your support, but I've already done my research on how to do this (I don't have EE on my PC, only the original game, so I was going to setup the environment first), but the problem is, in every thread that I've read, people say to just copy the files from the android device, and my PC can't see them.
    Gusinda said:

G'Day 7rlky,

Your saved games on the android platform should be found in sdcard/Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/files/save (not in /obb, that is where game content is).

Unfortunately I don't have a folder like that (at least my PC doesn't show it), the only Baldur related folder I can find is sdcard/Android/obb/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition (which is an empty folder).

What am I doing wrong? I don't think it's a driver issue, because apart from that I can read my phone on the PC just fine.

Also, sorry for being so uninformed :/
    Try using a file Explorer on the target android device
    edited April 2017
    Hi 7r1ky,

Not sure what you can see on your end so I am going to suggest/ask a few things. I think your prob may be that you are looking at the wrong SDCARD on the phone.

As Wesboi has suggested, have a look at the folders themselves locally on the phone. This can be done using the app 'My Files' (if you have it as part of the base install), or any other File Explorer. I use 'ES File Explorer' but any of them should do the job. I am reasonably sure that none of the BG files/folders are .hidden on the phone...

If you can see the files/folders locally, then it is likely we just need to make the PC see them. Can you see other files/folders in the SDCARD/Android/Data folder? You need to be looking at your SDCARD (internal to the phone), not the EXSDCARD (or whatever it may be called under the Huawei environment). The EXSDCARD would be the card that you may have put in yourself for extra storage. The Android system creates a few shadow folders on the EXSDCARD that are mostly empty...

In the sdcard/Android/obb/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition folder there should be 2 obb files. In the sdcard/Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/files folder you should see baldur.ini and your saves and maybe a portrats folder where you can place some custom portraits.

Gus

Edit: Forgot to mention the on Windows Explorer, the external SDCARD shows up as 'Card' and the internal SDCARD shows up as 'Phone'.
    Post edited by Gusinda on
  • 7r1ky7r1ky Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was looking at the right place since I don't have a memory card, only internal storage :p
    Anyways, I managed to do that using a different PC, so I guess something wasn't working on my computer. Still not sure what it was though, maybe I'll look into that later.
    Thanks to everyone who commented, even if I didn't manage to find out what was the problem, you made the procces much easier on that second PC!
  • ablorablor Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks. First time here. Fondly remember playing BG 1 & 2 back in the day on PC. Sadly never found the time to progress much in IWD or PT then. Things are worse now, but with the ability to get in a quick 20 mins on the phone, I am back with a chance.

So, playing IWD on Android (and much much thanks to you folks here for making this happen), I realized I made a mistake on a character choice at start. Reading that EE Keeper was still usable with Android files, I thought I'd fix it (not that I was ever a heavy Shadowkeeper user before, but...).

I am trying to follow the steps here. I copied over the obb files to the PC, extracted them to the same root folder (call it E:/IWDandroid). Note that I don't have IWD installed on the PC at all. Next, I copied over the contents of "characters", "portraits", and one of the save game folders (call it "N1") into folders within E:/IWDandroid that I named "characters", "portraits", and "save". Note that none of these folders existed in the extracted result of the Android files.

The "save" folder now contains 6 portrait bmp files, 1 baldur.bmp, 1 baldur.gam and 1 baldur.sav.

I have initialized EE Keeper to point to E:/IWDandroid, and the save folder to point to E:/IWDandroid/save, with "use custom..." checked.

EE Keeper is able to open the character browser and shows the default 6 character builds from IWD. However, when I try to open a saved game, the dialog box shows no choices. It's empty. What am I doing wrong?

I would really like to be able to correct my attribute choices to enable dual-classing and would hate to re-do the boring initial parts when it is hard to find time anyway. Your help is appreciated, and sorry for the long post.
    edited March 2018
    G'Day @ablor, welcome to the forum. Just to make sure I understand this correctly, I will outline what I believe your folder structure looks like.

With your uncompressed Obbs, the folder look like this:
    E:\IWDandroid
    E:\IWDandroid\data
    E:\IWDandroid\lang
    E:\IWDandroid\movies
    E:\IWDandroid\music
    E:\IWDandroid\override (might be there)
    E:\IWDandroid\scripts
    E:\IWDandroid\chitin.key (File only)

You then created a number of other folders:
    E:\IWDandroid\characters
    E:\IWDandroid\portraits
    E:\IWDandroid\save

If I read right, you placed your save game (the six files) into E:\IWDandroid\save. If this is correct, you need to copy them into your saved game folder which using the example you had is E:\IWDandroid\save\N1. Leaving your EEKeeper save folder set the way it is, it should pick up the saved game.

If you intend to use this long term, I would suggest that you change you structure a little bit. I would create another folder called E:\IWDandroid\1-Files and place you characters, portraits, and saved games into that. This way, all of your android device /IWDEE/files/ can be backed up and copied in one hit...

You would then end up with:
    E:\IWDandroid\1-Files
    E:\IWDandroid\1-Files\characters
    E:\IWDandroid\1-Files\portraits
    E:\IWDandroid\1-Files\save (<-- copy save game folders into here)...
    E:\IWDandroid\1-Files\save\000000001-N1 (etc..)
    E:\IWDandroid\1-Files\baldur.ini (or .lua ? version) (don't need it, just a backup if you edit it)
    E:\IWDandroid\override (might be there)

Reconfigure EEKeeper; uncheck use custom saved location (this will let your save game\chr file access to your portraits folder), set saved game folder to be E:\IWDandroid\1-Files\ and you should be set for editing your games. If you also want to edit a .chr file, you may need to navigate to the \characters folder when you first try to open with EEKeeper.

If you also want to add mods, you will also want to add some other folders but we can deal with that in a further post (if you want to mod).

If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I will try to clear up any doubtful areas.
    Gus
    Thanks Gus for the detailed and patient answer.

I did as you say (I think). This is what I have now
    E:\IWDandroid\characters
    E:\IWDandroid\portraits
    E:\IWDandroid\save
    E:\IWDandroid\baldur.ini (File only)
    E:\IWDandroid\baldur.lua (File only)
    E:\IWDandroid\engine.lua (File only)

EE Keeper installation directory points to E:\IWDandroid\

Save games are located in the folder:
    E:\IWDandroid\save\N1

EE Keeper save folder points to E:\IWDandroid\save, with "use custom save..." checked. I have also tried with the box unchecked.

In any case, when I open save game, still nothing shows up. If I figure out how to attach pictures, I will try to post a couple of snapshots.
    edited March 2018
    @ablor, no problems... What version of IWD are you using? If you have 2.x, then you wont need baldur.ini.

For this configuration, try EEKeeper saved games folder being set to E:\IWDandroid\ with 'use custom save...' unchecked.

I built the setup you have here and it works both ways. Unchecked, EEKeeper saved games = 'E:\IWDandroid\' and checked, it is 'E:\IWDandroid\save\'. Make sure you have the last \ in the path.

I do recommend though, to change the paths for those files that are in your device's "../android/data/IWDEE/files" folder. It makes it easier to manage in the long run. ie: 1-Files\save etc - or what ever you want to name the folder. I called it 1-Files to move everything to the top of the tree.

Hope that helps
    Gus

Edit: Forgot to mention that the saved game folder (N1) should look like 000000001-N1 (as it does in the saved game folder for the game).
    Thank you. That seems to have worked. I guess the mistake was actually that I had omitted the "0000...." stuff from the save folder name. For some reason, I thought the folder name didn't matter. Either that or my eyes glazed over when I saw 0000... and I thought it must be some Android craziness.