Skip to content

Q: What Determines Extraordinary Strength?

AshielAshiel Member Posts: 254
So I've noticed that only the warrior classes can gain 18/xx Strength scores. If say a Cleric or Thief raises their Strength to 18, it just displays an 18 with no % bonus thereafter. I haven't been able to find a 2da file that governs which classes have access to this feature, so I was wondering how it was enabled/disabled.

Anyone here know?
It seems useful in general for modding, and in my particular case I've removed exceptional strength from the game with a mod project I'm doing, but the classes are still stuck with the (now irrelevant) "/xx" designation, and I'd much rather it simply display 18, as with a Cleric, Thief, or Mage.

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Hard-coded to only apply to the Warrior classes (Fighter, Ranger, and Paladin).

While other characters can have extraordinary strength (the stat doesn't just vanish), I don't believe that they use it for anything.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    It can but to my knowledge it doesn't actually do anything... I could be wrong though. @kjeron would know.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Any character can have and benefit from exceptional strength, it is only at character generation that warriors are any different.
    A warrior cannot be created without exceptional strength, if they have 18 strength. They roll 1d100, so it cannot be 0.
    Any character can display just "18" strength in-game - it just means they have 0 exceptional strength.
    You can use NI/EEkeeper or
    C:Eval('ChangeStat(Myself,STREXTRA,0,2)')in the console over your character to set their exceptional strength to zero, so it will display without any "/##".
  • AshielAshiel Member Posts: 254
    edited March 2018
    Hey thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.
    kjeron said:

Any character can have and benefit from exceptional strength, it is only at character generation that warriors are any different.
    A warrior cannot be created without exceptional strength, if they have 18 strength. They roll 1d100, so it cannot be 0.
    Any character can display just "18" strength in-game - it just means they have 0 exceptional strength.
    You can use NI/EEkeeper or
    C:Eval('ChangeStat(Myself,STREXTRA,0,2)')in the console over your character to set their exceptional strength to zero, so it will display without any "/##".

So this means if I set the exceptional Strength of NPCs with EEK/NI to 0 it will simply display as 18 on their sheets? That's half the battle right there, thank you. EDIT: Yes, thank you, I just tested this and happily found that it set the character sheet to simply "18".

Should I assume there's no practical method to simply remove the display of exceptional Strength scores for the PC automatically then? This wouldn't be the end of the world, since it's going to be purely an aesthetic issue with my mod. I'm doing an overhaul based on a lot of old revisions I started when I was playing BGII and BGTutu back in the day, and one of the changes is removing exceptional Strength's influence on the game (among many tweaks).

I was just hoping there might have been something I was overlooking that would automatically disable the /XX portion of a warrior's strength on their character sheet. Thank you guys so much for getting back to me so quickly, I really appreciate it. ^-^