Skip to content

Greater DM on-the-fly content creation

I've often done an event for players and had something unexpected happen and wanted to reward these players with a unique item right then and there so as to not cheapen it for them. If I could from the DM client create an item in a similar fashion as I can create one in the toolset and give as a reward, that'd be incredibly helpful.

In the same manner, being able to change existing items would also be pretty dang rad, as sometimes I've wanted to make a dead body or the like as an item and I've had no bodies around. As an example.

Comments

• MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    I feel a little bit sad that nobody seems to have really looked at this forum since I made these threads. Do I kill forums or something?
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    I absolutely agree with you. I think that a modifiable GUI is the solution so that we can create exactly what we want.

I think that a look at modern games with DM clients (Sword Coast Legends and DOS2) would give a good idea of what ease of use could look like in a well designed DM client. Combine that with the power of NWN and it would be truly awesome.

One thing I REALLY liked about NWN2 was the ability to create my own DM buttons rather than creating wands or DM feats.
  • EchoDMEchoDM Member Posts: 4
    Resman is a nwnx extension that allows DMs to dynamically load content into the module without requiring a reset - and also without filling up the module with extra blueprints. It's a pretty cool tool and there are many times when it is useful. **You will need an ftp client like Filezilla.

• ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    Like everyone else , I would love a UI for you create custom items in-game with your DM. As of now I only got a DM craft conversation that let you do it. Here hoping with custom UI work we can get this. :smile:
  • dunahandunahan Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2017
    I used resman with NWNX a thousand times, but it will not work right now with my server compiled to EE. It isn't ported right now for Win and I don't know much about that...
    So a in game solution would be great. Still, some things could be added by script (use a scriptset, don't remember the name right now, for small things like that).
  • GM_ODAGM_ODA Member Posts: 177
    We have a scripted method for doing this in 1.69 (custom items on the fly). I love demonstrating it too, one clever fellow thought he'd stumped us when I asked him what two powers would he like any of his PC's mundane items to have. He asked (since he was running a druid) if his cloak could give him Barkskin 3xday and transform him into the form of a tree 1xmonth. I left our Lead Scripter to whip-up the item (she is awesome) and by the time we were done walking thru the tutorial area, the requested item was issued to the much-bemused player.

The point is NWN can do this, all by itself with just a scripted system. NWN is an utterly amazing engine and we've had great fun pushing the envelope over the last decade and a half. :D
  • FaerûnFaerûn Member Posts: 39
    I came to the forums to suggest the same thing as you, @Mordaedil!

I have no doubt that this can be done through scripting (I've seen plenty of crazy DM widgets), but having the feature built into the DM_Client would be wonderous. That said, can anyone recommend an easy way of implementing this into a NWN:EE persistent world?