Skip to content

Monster Encounters In Single Player mods: Should they respawn or not?

So this Is something I've been thinking about and contemplating as I get to the point of working on encounters for my mod, In a PW, for me the answer Is pretty obviously, that encounters, should, without a doubt, respawn. But In a Single Player mod, should they? Do you feel that respawning encounters creates a loophole for players to power level through the mod, when It wasn't Intended to be played like that? or do you feel that It just gives the player an extra option to beef up a little, for example, In cases where a player Is playing as a slightly weaker class?

Thoughts, Ideas and suggestions are welcome!

Comments

• cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    I don't think there is a blanket answer, as it depends on the individual module itself.
    DerpCityAndarian
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    The exploit can be disabled by giving XP for achievements but not for kills.

While respawning is unnecessary in SP, there are pros and cons. Used sparingly, it can add spice to areas with an obvious source of reinforcement, such as deep forest, especially if new and unexpected foes appear on the return journey. Over-worked, it can easily become boring. Worst case is the killer dungeon, where respawns trap the player in the depths with insufficient resources to fight their way out again.

Making it fun is all that really matters.
    DerpCityPhantomizerThe_Guilty_Party
  • BalkothBalkoth Member Posts: 157
    Proleric said:

Wait, I've been building modules wrong the WHOLE TIME?
  • PhantomizerPhantomizer Member Posts: 76
    Proleric said:

The exploit can be disabled by giving XP for achievements but not for kills.

While respawning is unnecessary in SP, there are pros and cons. Used sparingly, it can add spice to areas with an obvious source of reinforcement, such as deep forest, especially if new and unexpected foes appear on the return journey. Over-worked, it can easily become boring. Worst case is the killer dungeon, where respawns trap the player in the depths with insufficient resources to fight their way out again.

Thanks for the Insight, my friend was saying something quite similar actually and I thought that I don't even necessarily have to go one way or the other, can always do both If It would suit the mod, like you mentioned.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited March 2018
    For me there is an obvious answer. Unless there is a very compelling reason (they breed like rabbits etc.) don't put re-spawning monsters in a sp module. To say that I loathe and despise them is an understatement. They do not add to the enjoyment and are just a cheap way of increasing the difficulty of a module where better writing should be employed to achieve the same ends. Personally I like an area once cleared to stay cleared and will mark down any module that uses them without a logical explanation.

In my book they are number 2 on my all time list of most hated features in a module.

TR
    PhantomizerZwerkulesDerpCity
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    edited March 2018

Personally I like an area once cleared to stay cleared and will mark down any module that uses them without a logical explanation. In my book they are number 2 on my all time list of most hated features in a module.

Which leads naturally to the question: What's number 1?

DerpCityvoidofopinion
    Not telling :p

TR
    DerpCityAndarian
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210

TR

TR

...which then of course propagates itself to the new question.

Guess what Is TR’s most hated mod feature!’ :)

(Congrats on the Tshirt!!!)
    TarotRedhand
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    MrDamage said:

...which then of course propagates itself to the new question.

Guess what Is TR’s most hated mod feature!’ :)

I'm guessing the use of Irregardless during romance scenes.

:D
  • FaerûnFaerûn Member Posts: 39

players to power level through the mod, when It wasn't Intended to be played like that?

For me you kind of answered your own question. Depending on the kind of mod (Action, Roleplay, etc.) and how you've chosen to structure the experience gain it could be inappropriate or unavoidable. If you don't intend for the player to be able to kill certain enemies multiple times for experience, then don't let those NPCs offer experience, or simply prevent them from respawning.
    Sweetness
    @voidofopinion Close but no cigar.

TR
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    Well at least I know it doesn't involve cigars!

;)
    MrDamageDerpCity
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    There should always be some kind of randomness in encounters to keep players on their toes. It can keep modules fresh for replaying too.
    @1varangian in PnP maybe but not in sp mods. Unless I find out that I've missed something that turns out to be obvious or the author has updated it, I virtually never feel the need to replay a mod. Why should I? There's well over 3000 sp mods on the vault. Move on to the next one. So I repeat, unless there is a really compelling story reason, don't respawn encounters.

TR