Skip to content

NPC Mods for playing other NPCs in SoD

I am a little confused, so I'd really appreciate a little help here. How exactly would I find and install a Mod for Xan in Siege of Dragonspear? Please be as specific as possible. Does Big World have some sort of magic that lets you play with all the BG NPCs in SoD? I have Xan installed for BGEE2, isn't there a standalone mod for making him available in SoD?

Comments

• BleriotBleriot Member Posts: 31
    BWS has no magic to add to the game what has not been developed. There is no Xan mod for SoD and there is no vanilla Xan in Sod, so unless some modder feels the inspiration to create it, there is no Xan in SoD.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited March 2018
    @Skarose

I can tell you how to put Xan in your SOD game, or in fact any other BG1 NPC in your SOD game, but you will need to know how to: 1) Activate the Clua Console, and (for best results), 2) Use EEKeeper.

This wall of text may seem a little daunting, but the process is quick and easy, in fact, and it'll become second nature in no time.

If you can do Option 1): Use the Clua Console, you can use it to put A Xan in your game.
    Simply activate the CLUA console and enter C:CreateCreature('Xan')
    This'll get you Xan as he was when you picked him up in the mines. He won't have any equipment, but his sword f'rinstance can be created by entering C:CreateItem('SW1H13')

If you can do Option 2): Use EEKeeper, you can put YOUR Xan, the one you had in your party at the end of BG1/the first dungeon in your party in SOD. This requires a few more steps:

HOW TO MAKE YOUR BGee PARTY AVAILABLE IN SOD

The point here is to make your BGee party available as it was when you left Korlazs' dungeon - without having to level them up, reassign items and re-learn spells, etc.

0) Install EEKeeper, open your save game.
    1) Make characters exportable in EEKeeper (check a box under the Characteristics tab), save game, load this new edited save-game in SOD.
    2) export characters in-game (option appears on the character sheet o each character);
    3) CLOSE THE GAME (or it won't update to know about the new files you're about to make);
    4) open EEKeeper, choose option Edit Character, save as CRE file (under Tools drop-down menu: save as CRE);
    5) give the file a unique name (e.g. Xana) to avoid messing up your next game (or you'll get a level 8 Xan when next you meet in the mines);
    6) start the game anew;
    7) use the console to summon each critter - C:CreateCreature('Xana'), for instance;
    8) CTRL-Q to make them join your party (or talk to them, but you'll get their BG joining dialogue);
    9: ENJOY SOD with Xan!

Once I had the process down, it took me about four minutes to complete for my entire BG party. Time well spent, methinks.

Proof of concept:

Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
    Skarosebooinyoureyes
  • BleriotBleriot Member Posts: 31
    If you install EET you can do that with a single MoveGlobal command...
    but the fact is that you just get a BG1 Xan walking around in SoD, It's not that this makes any deeper sense or enhances the game in any way, so what.
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    edited March 2018
    I've played SoD Good, Neutral and Evil, for replayablility I need different NPCs, other wise I'll just be skipping SoD on future BG series runs, because I've been there and done that so many times. One of the best parts of BG is all the different party combinations, SoD is so Limited. I wish the developers had realized this when creating SoD. I don't need a lot of content for all my NPCs, I've played all your NPCs, now i want to try other NPCs I've grown attached to in BG, also the other NPCs force different playstyles which creates a different game experience. (Especially Xan as my Party Mage, Enchanters: No Stoneskin, No AoE damage spells etc, makes for a different game.)
    WarChiefZeke
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited March 2018
    Skarose said:

I've played SoD Good, Neutral and Evil, for replayablility I need different NPCs, other wise I'll just be skipping SoD on future BG series runs, because I've been there and done that so many times. One of the best parts of BG is all the different party combinations, SoD is so Limited. I wish the developers had realized this when creating SoD. I don't need a lot of content for all my NPCs, I've played all your NPCs, now i want to try other NPCs I've grown attached to in BG, also the other NPCs force different playstyles which creates a different game experience. (Especially Xan as my Party Mage, Enchanters: No Stoneskin, No AoE damage spells etc, makes for a different game.)

I hear you. I was sad to find that Tiax wouldn't assist me in SoD. So I put him in my game through the process above.

Did you know you can make one of the NPCs your Charname? Makes for more options.

Either;

1) do steps 1-4 of the process above but save as CHA and import Charname to a new game as you would normally; BE the NPC from Candlekeep onwards (kill the NPC when you meet it in-game; clearly, it is a doppelganger!)

Or;

2) Kick out your Charname and let a NPC become your Charname! I summarized the discovery (which is not mine) here, and added some field testing. See my post towards the bottom of the page.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/29289/did-you-know/p81
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
    Skarose