Skip to content

Dynamic DNS for servers?

As with many residential services, public IP addresses change periodically.

Will NWN servers support Dynamic DNS for users to join a server hosted at a residence? Considering spinning up a server but haven't worked with one privately (am a Service Engineer at a NOC professionally).

Comments

• EdhelEdhel Member Posts: 6
    The older NWN supports this. So I can't see them removing this feature.
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    edited December 2017
    You can use something like NoIP. It's a decent service that will function across the board for all games you host.

Linky: https://www.noip.com/
  • ZuzubofZuzubof Member Posts: 9
    I would like to follow-up on this as I'm a bit of a noob at this sort of thing. I hope you'll bear with me.

In the early days of the old NWN, I created a world, put it on a computer in my den, and arranged with my provider (Comcast? Verizon?) for that computer to have a set IP address for my few players to use to log in and play. Then the provider changed to dynamically changing and that destroyed everything. I never got around to buying a host, etc., and loading my game there as it just wasn't....right.

So with this new version, and what I think I'm understanding from the thread, I can get the new version, put it on a stand-alone computer to run it, and then use NOIP to somehow work the same as I did with the original "non-changing" IP? My players connect to the NOIP IP and it forwards them to my computer (which is somehow now connected to NOIP)?
    edited March 2018
    Zuzubof said:

I would like to follow-up on this as I'm a bit of a noob at this sort of thing. I hope you'll bear with me.

In the early days of the old NWN, I created a world, put it on a computer in my den, and arranged with my provider (Comcast? Verizon?) for that computer to have a set IP address for my few players to use to log in and play. Then the provider changed to dynamically changing and that destroyed everything. I never got around to buying a host, etc., and loading my game there as it just wasn't....right.

So with this new version, and what I think I'm understanding from the thread, I can get the new version, put it on a stand-alone computer to run it, and then use NOIP to somehow work the same as I did with the original "non-changing" IP? My players connect to the NOIP IP and it forwards them to my computer (which is somehow now connected to NOIP)?

Pretty much. You will get a hostname (which you choose yourself) from NoIP, which is what you will use to connect to. The hostname never changes so will always work - and the IP IT points to will automatically update whenever your IP changes, so it always points to the correct place. It's a great service.
  • ZuzubofZuzubof Member Posts: 9
    Jimbobslimbob : Thank you so much. I will definitely be looking into that, then.

Here's something of a follow-up. If I buy the package for myself, on "My" computer. I use the toolset to create the world, etc., then move the files to my server-computer. Does *it* need a Steam account in order to host / run the game? (Because I plan to then use my own computer to play / DM with the players when they're on.

Thanks for bearing with me.
    edited April 2018
    Zuzubof said:

Jimbobslimbob : Thank you so much. I will definitely be looking into that, then.

Here's something of a follow-up. If I buy the package for myself, on "My" computer. I use the toolset to create the world, etc., then move the files to my server-computer. Does *it* need a Steam account in order to host / run the game? (Because I plan to then use my own computer to play / DM with the players when they're on.

Thanks for bearing with me.

You're welcome. The server files can be downloaded separately in the sticky thread on this very forum. You can also download the files through Steam if you want - you can run the server client from a Steam install and still play the game from the same account. This gives you the added advantage of being able to detect and automatically download updates via SteamCMD if you wished.
  • FinalStandFinalStand Member Posts: 87
    For the most part, you don't need static IP if you are a public server. You just set '-public 1' and it registers your current IP with server browser. Anyone that uses your server browser can find and connect (if ports are open).

If your IP changes, it will update server browser. So for most users using server browser, they don't know or care that it's not static.

Having said there, check out : https://www.duckdns.org/