Skip to content

Giving a player DM abilities?

Hello all. Is there a way I can give a player DM (specifically console) powers? I plan on playing through some of the campaigns with some friends, and I like to hand out rewards for general wackiness. Does the NWServer program or anything have this kind of ability?

Comments

• BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    Maybe the closest you can get is implementing SIMTools, and then setting up player CD Keys in it to specify them as DMs. This will give them access to a number of DM voice commands.
  • mrprmillermrprmiller Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2018
    That seems a like something that wouldn't terribly difficult to implement. Right now, there's no way for the campaign leader to play along with his participants. I'd like to see this implemented in some limited capacity.

For example, Minecraft allows for "opped" characters who have access to the console commands. Basically, players with the ability to admin from within while remaining players in the game. When my son and I play, we're in standard Survival mode, but every once in a while we think of something and need to jump into Creative mode. And then, I can quickly jump back to Survival within a few keystrokes.

For NWN, it would be nice for players to not have to log out of the server, log back in as a DM, take care of the problem/reward/whatever-needs-to-get-done, and then log out, and start back up in a normal client and log back in. :smile:

Another implication would be the an admin playing in their own PW, but seeing someone cheating/exploiting/etc. and needing to be banned. This would give them the capacity from within the engine, rather than ALT+TABing out, etc..

Or another situation: let's say I've built a scripted model, but forgot to unlock a mandatory door that resists all our damage, can't be picked, and has no key. "Hold on, everyone. I can fix this, but it'll take about 5 minutes. I need to unlock it... wait while I quit out, reconnect, destroy it, quit out, reconnect, and then we can connect." Or, ::opens command console, kill, clicks on door:: "Whoa! Something happened!"

There are probably lots of ways this would help.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Hmm. It'd maybe be easier to allow for DM possession of a PC. That way, you could log in as DM, and then possess your PC to play with your friends. If you needed to, you could unpossess and do DM things. It'd mean that while possessing the PC, you would not have any DM powers, except the power to unpossess.

-JFK

But, one could have two clients open, one logged in as DM, one as player. That way you could play, and switch to DM in an instant, without having to change anything.
    mrprmiller
  • mrprmillermrprmiller Member Posts: 3
    JFK said:

Hmm. It'd maybe be easier to allow for DM possession of a PC. That way, you could log in as DM, and then possess your PC to play with your friends. If you needed to, you could unpossess and do DM things. It'd mean that while possessing the PC, you would not have any DM powers, except the power to unpossess.

-JFK

But, one could have two clients open, one logged in as DM, one as player. That way you could play, and switch to DM in an instant, without having to change anything.

I actually like that solution quite a bit; it's a clever, with the PC possession... the way it works now, the leveling system might be a problem, but implementing both might be more work than just giving some PCs DM/admin privileges within game.

The second one is a solution I've been landing on. Am I able to connect to the same server under the same CD-key with the DM-Client and the main game? My instincts tell me no, which means, buying a second copy. :/ I may end up doing this... I won't like it, but I'd do it.
  • mlkent22mlkent22 Member Posts: 41
    Easily done via the DMFI wand package.
  • MermutMermut Member Posts: 44
    You could also script a widget to have a custom on Use ability to access a bunch of the DM abilities via script/conversation/etc
  • Carlo_OneCarlo_One Member Posts: 77
    This is now part of the latest development patch: https://steamcommunity.com/games/704450/announcements/

Relevant portion:

Player Dungeon Master Mode

Players can now acquire and relinquish DM privileges during normal play, assuming they know the DM password. A player DM will have all of the normal dungeon master ruleset amenities: Their player character will turn invincible; they will be able to cast any spell they wish, and their skill checks will always be made against max.

However, player DMs will not gain features specific to DM characters: Their feat list will not include all the DM abilities, and they will not walk any faster. They will also not join the DM party/faction, so they will not be able to see all player parties.

Dedicated servers can turn this off in configuration.

To enter player DM mode, you can use the console commands (`dm_login <pw>` and `dm_logout`), or you can use the debug UI.