Skip to content

Public Server List (Improvements)

nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
Hello,

we're hard at work improving multiplayer server listing/finding. Specifically, we're looking to make the process much easier, without having to mess with port-forwarding or the dreaded static-NAT issues. That's why you might be seeing some chaff in the coming weeks regarding that. So, sincere apologies if this causes trouble.
Also, we're aware that LAN discovery is flaky, and it's being looked into.

Check out our new interface here:

https://nwn.beamdog.net/

* You can browse servers online (but clicking the IP does not work yet).
* There's a JSON api you can query (but we make no guarantees that it will remain as-is, as it's still under development).
* NAT punching (udp hole traversal, STUN) works for all servers advertising with our list.
* We offer relay services for servers that cannot punch through their enemies players NAT.

Of particular interest may be the "me" page, which will show you (when called from your IP) why a server won't list publicly: https://api.nwn.beamdog.net/v1/me

Please ask questions if you have them.
Post edited by niv on
SymphonyJuliusBorisovShadowMFlashburnCablefishDrakonricoyungDerpCity

Comments

• sippelmcsippelmc Member Posts: 45
    edited December 2017
    Thanks! I love the snow. Glad to hear server browser is getting love!

My only comment is that it would be nice to opt-out of publicly displaying my IP address on a webpage, especially once its more visible to the world at large e.g. everyone on Steam. I mean, especially if you have to ban people and they are kiddie level griefers, or just add a bit of security via anonymity, whatever.
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    @sippelmc Not sure I'm following. You are requesting the server to show up publicly (in the server browser), by telling the app to do so. You want people to be able to discover it, right?

Or are you asking specifically to not list on the web, but keep listing in the game browser? Because the game browser hands out your IP as well, for obvious reasons.
  • sippelmcsippelmc Member Posts: 45
    edited December 2017
    No, I'm not asking to opt out of being in browsers/listings. Just would prefer to not show my IP address in human readable format for the world at large (esp the Steam world). I don't think I'm alone in that I don't like my public facing IP address being waved around willy nilly. I get that no security should depend on it being private. I generally consider my public ip address semi-public info, and I know its not hard for someone to get with minimal effort. However anytime an ip address is just plain out in the open like that, it raises a level of interest in trying to hack/grief. Thanks for your response and bringing back NWN =)
  • Barry_1066Barry_1066 Member Posts: 77
    How are the server's ordered in that list? It is not alphabetical as in the GameSpy - so - looking at the list it whooshes over my head as to it having any order. Is there order and I am missing it?
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    You can click the columns to reorder. The default is current players online. There's room for improvement!
    JuliusBorisovricoyung
  • Barry_1066Barry_1066 Member Posts: 77
    Thanks niv.
  • OmnipsiOmnipsi Member Posts: 31
    Any chance there's plans to include a module details string for each each server, so we can put forum/website addresses and other information there?

+ If done, it would be fantastic if the descriptions could be as long as we wanted, and they'd just be truncated with a nondescript "Read more." in the list by default. New players could then be exposed only to the list, and potentially browse for a specific world with more detail than otherwise.

Comparing to the old Gamespy browser too, some facilitation for a centralized, visible "Chat" button may be helpful too (again, for advertising/networking, new players in particular). Even just a link to a semi-official Discord or similar would be convenient, considering a full rebuild of the old chat feature/separate chat interface is probably a project of its own.
    Phenomen
  • omedon666omedon666 Member Posts: 48
    After an evening of ramming our heads against a seemingly solid brick wall of nonexistent server connectivity, this restores my faith! Keep up the great work!
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    Omnipsi said:

Any chance there's plans to include a module details string for each each server, so we can put forum/website addresses and other information there?

+ If done, it would be fantastic if the descriptions could be as long as we wanted, and they'd just be truncated with a nondescript "Read more." in the list by default. New players could then be exposed only to the list, and potentially browse for a specific world with more detail than otherwise.

Comparing to the old Gamespy browser too, some facilitation for a centralized, visible "Chat" button may be helpful too (again, for advertising/networking, new players in particular). Even just a link to a semi-official Discord or similar would be convenient, considering a full rebuild of the old chat feature/separate chat interface is probably a project of its own.

You can do this already - you need to create a text file named "ServerDesc.txt " in the same folder as the ini file, containing the text you wish displayed with your server.
    dunahanshadguy
  • FinalStandFinalStand Member Posts: 87

You can do this already - you need to create a text file named "ServerDesc.txt " in the same folder as the ini file, containing the text you wish displayed with your server.

Is that different than the "module_description" set in the module ?

• L30L30 Member Posts: 10
    Hello guys.
    Anyone knows where I can find the tlk for "The Last Jedi"PW?
    I'm interested in playing a Star wars nwn clone.But I can't find their website.
    Plz?
  • L30L30 Member Posts: 10
    Some pws can't be found that easily on site.
    I wish to download haks and tlk for Baldur's Gate Nights.
    Does anyone know the address?
    An interesting idea would be showing such address for each server.
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    L30 said:

Hello guys.
    Anyone knows where I can find the tlk for "The Last Jedi"PW?
    I'm interested in playing a Star wars nwn clone.But I can't find their website.
    Plz?

Sometimes if you click on server details in the list of PW selection screen it will tell you.

The website is www.tljnwn.com
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    Since the 8186 update, I've noticed a few things that I think both the casual and the avid EE fan would like to have back:

Return the Ping Rate column (it's missing).
    History/Favorites -- this is no longer persistent. Allow this to be saved. It use to work but it seems busted
    Allow greater depth for the server descriptions. As it stands, it allows for about 4 short lines of text.
    GM_ODAricoyungdTdDrakon
  • DazDaz Member Posts: 125

Since the 8186 update, I've noticed a few things that I think both the casual and the avid EE fan would like to have back:

History/Favorites -- this is no longer persistent. Allow this to be saved. It use to work but it seems busted
    Allow greater depth for the server descriptions. As it stands, it allows for about 4 short lines of text.

The ping column was never really useful since it was Server <-> Master Server and not Client <-> Server
  • ricoyungricoyung Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2019
    Daz said:

The ping column was never really useful since it was Server <-> Master Server and not Client <-> Server
    I always found the ping cloumn very useful; if it was over like 190-200, for me the server would be way too laggy to play (Aussie servers mostly). alternately if the server ping was 60-125 it would be ideal...no lag, that's the way it's been for a long time and as far as I know that hasn't changed except for the removal of the ping column.
    It's not like the internet speeds are homogeneous throughout the world so user experience may vary
    depending on your and the server location...or has that changed?

Personally I think it was "replaced" by the sync maybe due to UI limitations? (not enough room for both)
    and maybe it can be included after the UI improvements? idk

But for sure the favorites/history should be fixed asap.
    Also I would like to see a Re-log option when quitting PW's , it would imo be a huge bonus for multi-players with "stables" of toons that needs to flip. ;D fast fast fast baby!

And Bonus++ @niv for this Master list :) and for everything else to boot! arrgghh
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    I'd like to be able to order them by the sync, that's the thing I want to know before checking out a server most.
  • Maleficents_KissMaleficents_Kiss Member Posts: 36
    edited October 2021
    It would be really nice if there were genre listings again such as Action, Role Play, Arena, etc. This way action servers and RP servers wouldn't all be in the same exact list. This also makes it easier to find servers that are of the play style you're looking for.

latest?cb=20051203185137

TarotRedhand
    Just wanted to bump this for possible consideration by the devs. Bringing back the game type list would be very helpful.
    It would be really nice if there were genre listings again such as Action, Role Play, Arena, etc. This way action servers and RP servers wouldn't all be in the same exact list. This also makes it easier to find servers that are of the play style you're looking for.

latest?cb=20051203185137

Wanted to give this another bump since it had been a while. This could be very helpful for distinguishing what servers cater to what content when people are looking for specific game types.