Skip to content

Are there any Differences between getting NWN:EE from Steam or Beamdog?

Bonus', restrictions, anything different from getting the game from one or the other?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,722
    You should choose whichever place suits you more. Some people prefer to have all the games on Steam, others are not against supporting developers directly. When you buy from beamdog.com you get a Steam key, so in this regard (Steam features) it's the same.
  • Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    Go with Steam for sure. It's a much more polished streaming service. Beamdog client is extremely clunky.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Beamdog client lost my NWN install twice.
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138

Go with Steam for sure. It's a much more polished streaming service. Beamdog client is extremely clunky.

The GOG client is better, but the BD client doesn't recognise BD games on it, which can lead top much confusion.

• dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    Same as Proleric for me though I'd like to add that I wanted BD to get the money and not Steam, they have enough of mine already.
  • GrymlordeGrymlorde Member Posts: 121
    @Proleric is spot on. All of those issues are why I no longer use Steam.
  • Ugly_DuckUgly_Duck Member Posts: 181
    Well, crap.. I ended up getting the Steam version. Is there any way to switch to Beamdog?
  • Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    By default, Steam runs on your PC all the time.

Usually several dozen applications run in the background of a pc all the time. The bigger question is what is the CPU/GPU resource cost of any given application.

It's a bit different, but I've not had much trouble finding things with the Steam install... the toolset for one. I've noticed that the hak folder is gone but that was a Beamdog change that has nothing to do with Steam.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,280

By default, Steam runs on your PC all the time.

Usually several dozen applications run in the background of a pc all the time...
    ...and savvy users know what they are and kill unnecessary ones like Steam. Some people are fine with sharing their entire life with Big Brother, others aren't. Personally, given the recent track record of the big players, I'd say, don't trust anyone, ever, and never grant permissions or share information unless there's no alternative.