Skip to content

Enhanced...graphics?

So is it just me, or did the latest update release from yesterday change any of the graphics to match the screenshots? Is there something obvious I am missing? Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just confused. Thanks!

Comments

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    It's probably just you. The last update was from last week with the patch notes listed here, I don't believe they released a different version on Tuesday this week without releasing new patch notes.

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/03/neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition_23.html
  • bloodstripesbloodstripes Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the reply. I thought it was just because I was still playing on the Head Start version, but after downloading the retail version I am still having the same issue. Very odd.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Which screenshots do you mean?
  • TheAmethystDragonTheAmethystDragon Member Posts: 86
    If you mean Aribeth and the temple tile group screenshots, those are basically proof of concept work that can be used as an override after you download it from the Steam Workshop. No big graphics updates yet (that will be a time-consuming endeavor).
  • Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96

If you mean Aribeth and the temple tile group screenshots, those are basically proof of concept work that can be used as an override after you download it from the Steam Workshop. No big graphics updates yet (that will be a time-consuming endeavor).

Was probably a mistake to have made those screenshots. People generally don't want to bother with overrides, haks, etc.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    edited March 2018
    I can see where the people complaining about the lack of enhancements are coming from.

NWN: EE really needs an expansion with all new assets badly. Most players, and potential new players especially, just want to see tangible enhancements. A complete expansion looking like the enhanced Hall of Justice with high poly character models would satisfy that crowd. It's a lot of work, but it's also precisely what NWN: EE needs.
  • ildaronildaron Member Posts: 52
    @TheAmethystDragon
    Proof of concept does not add value. Something that may be done, which is not does not enhance the use of a product and this goes for any product not simply NWN: EE. I am not ignoring the fact that Beamdog does not have unlimited resources. They have finite amount and I believe they loves this game more than anyone else. I believe a good way to show case what their enhancements can do is a contest.

Bring on people who will create brand new tile sets, characters, and things which could be used for the campaigns. Create design specs which must be adhered to so everything is uniform. Then Beamdog chooses which ones are used. The community enhanced could than be the default with the 1.69 original remaining the retro download available on command.

Note: I am not mentioning the legal things which would need to put in place to make this to work, yet you could rightfully assume lawyers and contracts would be involved on the backend.
  • NWN_TömlNWN_Töml Member Posts: 90
    edited April 2018
    Not sure what you mean by contest but believe me...some poeple come out of shadows creating stuff blowing away your mind and winning every contest. ? Why you ask.

NWN is also my game!

I dont and never thought that bioware is more capable of creating stuff better then WE...the commmunity memebers who kept this game alive. And i dont think different now. I alone have more stuff created then NWN is big in size. My name is maybe not known...

SORRY good people...i was pretty drunk yesterday and had a very bad day! ALl good, so sorry for my rant :)
    Post edited by NWN_Töml on
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Potential new players aren't going to bother with haks and overrides. They are just going to judge the game on how it looks out of the box. And to prosper the EE needs new players. Or returning players who left because of the dated look.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248

Potential new players aren't going to bother with haks and overrides. They are just going to judge the game on how it looks out of the box. And to prosper the EE needs new players. Or returning players who left because of the dated look.

NWN looked 10 years out of date the day it launched.

Anyone who was in it for the graphics left in 2002.
  • superfly2000superfly2000 Member Posts: 76
    edited April 2018
    Actually...I don't agree there, the graphics where quite good at release and far beyond it as well. There is more to graphics then polycount..and NWN had the whole "picture".

The only problem is it might not look the best today.
    I don't think this was the original discussion...

However I agree with superfly2000 that the graphics are comparable to other games from the time and don't look really look much like the Eye of the Beholder series which was released about 10 years prior to NWN. Exaggerations can get a bit tiresome when they're often repeated and so can misinterpretations of something spelled out black and white. Unfortunately discussion of NWN has always been fraught with a lot of these issues because it attempts to do something no other game until very recently has ever really tried to do.

In terms of NWN as a product I think it would be much more appropriate to view it as more similar to RPG Maker than it is to Baldur's Gate or Elder Scrolls. In that sense tech demos do have an added value because it inspires and gives examples of the kind of content that the product is able to display and develop. Also the expansion packs both came as a leap forward into further developing the content creation and showing creators how things could be done.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i'm just happy the movies work properly and the transparent tool bar issue is gone. now i can acually play the game.
  • bloodstripesbloodstripes Member Posts: 8
    I was a bonehead and saw the shots of the temple without realizing that those were what "modders could have done". I'm trying not to feel let down, but to some extent I do.
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    To be honest I was hoping for a little more by release date for an "enhanced edition" too. I don't know. Right now everything feels pretty much the same as before. Maybe it should just be called NWN:Fixed Edition. I know there was quite a bit done and a lot of hard work put into it but it feels pretty subtle. I was hoping for a bit more fireworks. I'll just wait and see and hope for what's to come in the future.
    I find when you approach products without any hype then you're less likely to be disappointed. For what it's worth Beamdog listed the main features and the screenshots on the product pages are all of product that was released. The screenshots of engine tech demo materials were not used for promotional purposes and the company has not made any statements that could give a different impression.

Unfortunately Beamdog or any other company for that matter can't be held accountable for fans that misinterpret or misrepresent statements and screenshots as optimistic evidence for fulling their wishes. My personal policy is that you're only guaranteed to get what is on the box or in this case what is listed as a product feature, and what is listed in release and patch notes of course.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    I can understand the feeling though. I hope (and believe) that there will be some community modules released very soon that take advantage of the new capabilities. Once that happens, players will be able to see 'a whole new game' almost, and excitement should build. I wish we could have had something like that ready to go at release, but such is life.
    Myself, I believe great things are coming for this game -- things we would never have gotten without the 'Enhanced' part of the name.

Here's hoping!

-JFK