Skip to content

I cannot get the PRC to work with EE

Hey there,

Both the installer EXE and the utility included in the .rar to patch to modules don't work with the freshly released NWN Enhanced Editions. Both utilities look for a Neverwinter Nights install, which NWN EE isn't, and so the utilities shut down before doing anything. Is there any way to force the utilities to recognize the EE or any hope of them being patched to better play along with the EE?

Thank you!

Comments

• clansunstarclansunstar Member Posts: 33
    I have not yet released or completed an update for the PRC yet. I an the only one working on it at the moment. The only version that works is for the 1.69 version. O will be working on a version for the EE but it will take me some time to finish it.
    ronaldoShadowolfXIIIshadguyJuliusBorisov
  • omacronomacron Member Posts: 6

I have not yet released or completed an update for the PRC yet. I an the only one working on it at the moment. The only version that works is for the 1.69 version. O will be working on a version for the EE but it will take me some time to finish it.

I had no idea it was even being maintained in any capacity, so just knowing someone's working on it is great!

If anyone has any way of jury rigging it to work with the EE I'd love to hear it
  • ShadowolfXIIIShadowolfXIII Member Posts: 5
    That is indeed very good news knew it will take long time but once you have it updated can you let us know?
  • krusk2krusk2 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    Hi,
    firstly, i find it great, that the PRC ist being updated to the EE version! The missing PRC is the ONLY reason, which keeps me and a friend of mine from using the EE version! We simply love the PRC stuff, especially the news skills like jump, cllimb, craft poison etc. more than the ee-versions´s graphic update.

The possibility of the new poisons is absolutely great! And while the crafting of poisons works, I'd like to draw attention to a BUG, which occurs with self crafted poisons and ALWAYS applies the Nightshade poison to a weapon, even if I used a different poison on the weapon:
    Example:

1) I craft "giant bee" poison via the PRC-craft item menu -->The Poison appears in the inventory.
    2) I apply giant bee poison to a weapon --> there is no check roll and the message in the feedback window reads: "You have coated your weapon in NIGHTSHADE."
    3) I attack an enemy--> the enemy saves vs Fortitude DC: 10, which ist NIGHTSHADE, though I applied "Giant Bee poison" on the weapon.

I guess, that theres an script or Index error concerning the poisons indices, when applying the poison.
    I used the PRC 3.5 and called the "Module updater". I tried it in the original campain and XPs and always got the same result.

I was hoping, that this bug might get fixed in the EE update, for the poison use is one of the things, among the cool rogue skills like jump and climb (which offer totally new tactics as we found out!!), which makes
    the rogue classes (assassins, etc) even more interesting! :):)

With kind regards

Steve

EDIT:
    btw: I use the 1.69 Diamond version with critical rebuild and PRC 3.5. With the community patch 1.72 I got the same "poison bug". Maybe one could reproduce this bug or give me a hint? :)
    Cool looking forward to it I never got the okay neverwinter my rige is so new that the poor old but awesome game has so many issues when I tried running it with windows 10 that I gave up why the we version is a must for me I can actual play it and have a old mod upgraded forivt be cool as everyone says it awesome.
  • fasthd97fasthd97 Member Posts: 34
    I bought ee thinking they would be opening up adding prc spellbooks /custom classes right away.Very thankful somebodys working on this. I really want to play the old modules but would like to play as an EK or something fun to play. I think SD is the only one in the base game I have ever played.
  • HillyanHillyan Member Posts: 22
    If you had prc before of ee, i am converting my pw to ee, without prc problems...it works with ee
    Hillyan said:

If you had prc before of ee, i am converting my pw to ee, without prc problems...it works with ee

Thank you, I was hoping someone would tell me if they got it to work with EE. Your using Linux? Or did they get the nwnx functions working for windows?
    krusk2 said:

Hi,
    firstly, i find it great, that the PRC ist being updated to the EE version! The missing PRC is the ONLY reason, which keeps me and a friend of mine from using the EE version! We simply love the PRC stuff, especially the news skills like jump, cllimb, craft poison etc. more than the ee-versions´s graphic update.

The possibility of the new poisons is absolutely great! And while the crafting of poisons works, I'd like to draw attention to a BUG, which occurs with self crafted poisons and ALWAYS applies the Nightshade poison to a weapon, even if I used a different poison on the weapon:
    Example:

1) I craft "giant bee" poison via the PRC-craft item menu -->The Poison appears in the inventory.
    2) I apply giant bee poison to a weapon --> there is no check roll and the message in the feedback window reads: "You have coated your weapon in NIGHTSHADE."
    3) I attack an enemy--> the enemy saves vs Fortitude DC: 10, which ist NIGHTSHADE, though I applied "Giant Bee poison" on the weapon.

I guess, that theres an script or Index error concerning the poisons indices, when applying the poison.
    I used the PRC 3.5 and called the "Module updater". I tried it in the original campain and XPs and always got the same result.

I was hoping, that this bug might get fixed in the EE update, for the poison use is one of the things, among the cool rogue skills like jump and climb (which offer totally new tactics as we found out!!), which makes
    the rogue classes (assassins, etc) even more interesting! :):)

With kind regards

Steve

EDIT:
    btw: I use the 1.69 Diamond version with critical rebuild and PRC 3.5. With the community patch 1.72 I got the same "poison bug". Maybe one could reproduce this bug or give me a hint? :)

Thank you for the bug report. I will be creating a place where people can go and post them so I don't have to search across a number of sites to find all the ones that have been reported.
  • BehindflayerBehindflayer Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2018
    @clansunstar
    I have a couple of fixed spells, abilities, psionic powers (for example Crisis of Breath has been bugged for mind spell immune creatures that aren't vermin, undead or constructs where they automatically are inflicted 9999 damage without save) that I could submit for a new PRC release if you are interested.

@clansunstar
    I have a couple of fixed spells, abilities, psionic powers (for example Crisis of Breath has been bugged for mind spell immune creatures that aren't vermin, undead or constructs where they automatically are inflicted 9999 damage without save) that I could submit for a new PRC release if you are interested.

Would you possibly have any interest in joining a team to update the PRC? I am assembling a team to get the upgrade out faster and to help create new content for the PRC.
    Well, if I can be of help, I would gladly join. My programming is amateurish but I have become somewhat decent at finding and fixing scripting errors.
  • PlokPlok Member Posts: 106
    Is there an EE fork of this yet? I finally bought the EE today and I'm now playing around with the prc source code trying to get it to at least build for the EE.

I've got as far as getting scripts to compile by swapping out the nss compiler with this and fixing up the make templates to use it. I hate doing build scripts and tooling so I'm starting to run out of steam a little.

I'm working off of master from SVN http://svn.code.sf.net/p/daprc/code/nwn/nwnprc/trunk/
    Not as of yet we are now just starting to form a team to accomplish that.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited April 2018
    If anyone is interested, I've got the PRC to produce all of it's hak files from source with EE now. Code is hacked up a bit, is currently Windows only (although it should be simple to duplicate my changes for mac/linux) but you can run the make.bat and all the haks will be built and placed in your My Documents/Neverwinter Nights/hak directory.

Code is available here: https://bitbucket.org/SpitefulBerk/nwn_ee_prc. Yes, it's git rather than SVN. No, I'm not sorry - I hate SVN with a passion. It's on bitbucket rather than github because apparently I'm locked out of my github account.

It spits out a heap of warnings because I've changed the compiler to the one in my last post and it picks up bugs in NWN's own .nss scripts (ticket open here).

There's also a few errors I've fixed in the PRC code to do with function prototypes and implementations having different default arguments. I've put the implementation versions into the prototypes to fix this - I'm now suspecting that this may be the wrong way around but I currently have no way to test this.

My config.make is the following:
    NWN_DIR =C:/Users/User/Documents/Neverwinter Nights/ EE_INSTALL_DIR =C:/Games/00785 PRC_VERSION = 33g PRC_INSTALLVERSION = 3.3g NSSCOMPILER = tools\nwnsc
    Replace the directories with appropriate paths.

--EDIT--

Replaced the support ticket with a redmine link. Turns out I don't know how to report bugs. Herp derp.
    Post edited by Plok on
    Behindflayer
    edited April 2018
    I suppose the next hurdle is the hak installer. Anyone up for migrating a Visual Studio 2005 C#.net 2.0 project into a version you can actually acquire? Because I really, really don't want to have to do that. ;)

It's in the source if anyone is interested under tools/HakInstaller/
    Behindflayer
    edited April 2018
    I've had a quick poke around the hak installer. It seems that the main thing that needs fixing code-wise is NWNInfo.cs.

The good:

Each directory path the program uses (e.g. $install_dir/modules/, $install_dir/haks) is a seperate method so only this file needs to be updated to affect the whole program.

While the code makes assumptions about there only being one of each directory (bad), it isn't actually a problem. The modules would be a problem but thankfully it's is split into two methods - NWMPath (for campaigns/premium modules) and ModulesPath (for custom modules). You could just have one read from the game install and the other read from your Documents/Neverwinter Nights/ directory.

The bad:

It's a singleton - aka a set of global functions that can't be mocked, extended or composed. Making it work with both standard NWN and EE will either be if/else spaghetti or gutting the class into a useless wrapper for an actual Object Oriented Programming solution (like having a seperate class for standard NWN and EE).

As previously mentioned, it's a VS 2005 C#.net 2.0 project. Getting it to even compile will be fun (in the dwarf fortress sense of the word).
    Post edited by Plok on
    OK, so I think I might try tackling the HakInstaller. I've had a go at getting it into Visual Studio 2017 express edition and it's been pretty painless so far.

There's one key question I need answering before I can really crack on with it; how do you work out the NWN EE install directory? I can find no mention of it in either the Windows registry or the .ini files inside My Documents.

Also, whats the story with setting up the prc on non-windows systems? As far as I can tell the module patcher is very much windows only. Are people running it in wine or are they using an alternative module patcher or what? Theoretically the HakPatcher could be ported to Mono or .net core and be made to work on Linux/Mac by someone who knows what they're doing (not me).
    Sorry I not very smart program wise it the link you posted pork is that a working PRC NWNEE download or somthing else again I am surprised when it comes to this crap else I be helping.
    @ShadowolfXIII It's not a working PRC. The link is for the PRC's source code - it's not something you can install and play.

It currently makes the .hak files that make up the PRC but doesn't let you attach them to NWN modules. That's because the program that attaches them still needs updating. I'm working on it, however I'm currently blocked because I don't know how to work out where the EE is installed.
    Fun facts about the hak patcher:
    • It's multithreaded
    • It has multithreading bugs (the absolute worst kind of bugs)
    • Most of them are in the error handling code
    • I'm hitting the error handling code a lot
    • Apparently no one else has ever reached the error handling code (it requires a command line switch to override the directories it pulls from the windows registry to ever get here)
    • I'm not having fun
    I wrote a long, seething rant about these and a few other things but decided against posting it. It's really not on to attack the people who made it - they've clearly put a lot of time and effort into this and older versions of Visual Studio should not have allowed these to be.

Anyway, what I actually came to post about; the hak patcher uses a binary that's in the standard edition NWN but not the EE: clcompile.exe. I'm going to move it over to the same compiler I'm using for the rest of the PRC, but figured I should mention this is a thing because other projects probably depend on it.
    Behindflayer
    I'll admit this is a bit too advanced for me to really follow, but I am glad someone is taking one for the team. Thank you for that!
    I see I wish you luck becuase what your doing is no simple feet.
    edited April 2018
    Good news everyone! The code no longer shatters whenever there's an error! It's the prettiest code you've ever seen:
    class ThreadSafeProgressForm : IHakInstallProgress { private InstallProgressForm form; public ThreadSafeProgressForm(InstallProgressForm f) { form = f; } //forEach(method in IHakInstallProgress) public void SetMessage(string message, params object[] args) { if (form.InvokeRequired) { form.Invoke(new MethodInvoker(delegate { form.SetMessage(message, args); })); } else { form.SetMessage(message, args); } } //end forEach }
    To any programmer that may have to work with this in future; I'm so sorry.

My changes so far are up on the bitbucket account under the branch ee_hakinstall_upgrade. I'm currently working by hardcoding the paths I need into NWNInfo.cs (I've not committed this). It still doesn't work because the compiler needs swapping out.
    Behindflayer
    edited April 2018
    Success! Got the sucker to attach to pretty good character creator! Unfortunately loading the module causes the EE to crash. It unpacks the module fine, seems to be a 50% chance of crashing at character creation followed by a 100% chance of crashing when starting the game.

Now to open another redmine bug...

--EDIT--

Bug report available here: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/36509

I've still got to actually make the patcher work without hard coded paths which is actually looking like a decent chunk of work. There appears to be no way to programatically work out where the EE is installed so I'll have to code up a GUI to select the EE install path. I've also still yet to touch the command line version of the patcher, which I would imagine has a few bugs now.

Regardless of whether you're using the GUI or CLI you'll need this program to be in the same directory as the patcher.

All work so far is in ee_hakinstall_upgrade branch. You'll need to edit NWNInfo.cs to provide hard coded paths if you want to play with this. With that, I am goddamn done for the day.
    Post edited by Plok on
    Behindflayer

Is that GUI understandable to people (ignore Visual Studio in the screenshot backgrounds)? I've still got to hook it up to the rest of the program, which is more complicated than it sounds.

It will auto-search for whatever directories it can find and populate itself, validate that any directories actually are NWN installation directory (just looks for appropriate nwm folders currently) and will auto-fill the NWN documents directory with $current_user/(My )Documents/Neverwinter Nights. If the selected installation is a standard NWN installation it won't ask for the documents folder.

Also, the program now requires .net 3.5 instead of 1.0 because I'm too lazy to write code to filter duplicates from a list. The only way to get .net 1.0, 2.0 and 3.5 is via the .net 3.5 installer from Microsoft so I doubt this will be a problem. Also, .net 3.5 is 11 years old and available for all versions of Windows from XP onwards.
    Looks okay to me as long as it's clear when it's asking for the /documents/nwn folder and when it's asking for the installation path.
    So, I'm busy working on getting the GUI hooked up to the rest of the programming (surprisingly difficult job due to NWNInfo class being a singleton) and I've just had a thought; the Character Creator. That's yet another thing that will need to be updated.

I know it's written in Java (yet another programming toolchain to set up... urgh...), but does anyone know if the source code has a home anywhere? By virtue of it being a .jar file I can run it through winzip and get the source code but it would be nice to push my changes upstream.

If anyone feels like tackling it then by all means please do so. There's a copy of it in the PRC's source code in the tools directory. Just throw the .jar at winzip and poke around the .java files. How you get those .java files back into a working .jar is beyond my knowledge at present, but I'm sure google will provide.

Oh, and the license in docs/LICENSE.txt says its ok to update the program and distribute it's source code so long as you don't try and claim you made the program or remove the license.
  • RoiDesCreoles_NWnRoiDesCreoles_NWn Member Posts: 7
    is there a version that is compatible if i use my old nwn install to patch the files. or opened them in Aurora and added the PRC related haks and tlk into the modules by hand? or would that not work?