Skip to content

[Mac OS] Crashing when loading new area

I've submitted a ticket to support.baldursgate.com and another one to beam dog, but I figured with it being Easter weekend that the support teams will be off work. Does anyone have any solutions?

Comments

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    No, but I (and others) have encountered this, too. If you can add the save game to the support ticket, and if possible the OS X crash data. Those things can really help pinpoint the bug, uncaught exception, etc.
    TheMarsBear
  • TheMarsBearTheMarsBear Member Posts: 7
    Have you been able to get a response/continue playing?
  • LiquidPantherLiquidPanther Member Posts: 5
    I'm having the same issue, I had some luck with changing the graphic settings at random and once in a blue moon it works. (I had a lot of issues in Act 1 with the temple Aribeth was in, disabling "shiny water" fixed it for me but didn't for other area's.) I was also wondering if it had to do with the resolution, I'm playing on a 15" MacBook.
    I'm also very disappointed with "technical support" sending me an automated answer and saying that I need to make a new account and entering the information I already gave.
    This should really be given attention, as the game is unplayable.
    TheMarsBear
    edited March 2018
    I disabled "Shiny Water" and it let me through the Stables, but now I'm stuck in the Sanatorium. I've tried decreasing the graphics to the minimum and the resolution to the minimum, yet it still won't let me pass. You'd think they'd solve this in Beta.

I'm on a 13inch MacBook Pro, mid 2014
    Yes, you'd think. I already addressed this issue in the Headstart version. Weirdly sometimes zooming in on you character and then going into the area it doesn't crash. Might be me getting lucky. I was able to play through the original campaign but HotU is impossible to play...
    So far it has been going well, but some shops in City Core crash the game. Leaving the city takes 2 tries, first time crashing. No response from Beamdog
  • KaltripKaltrip Member Posts: 19
    Maybe possibly related. I use the mac client and I've noticed that if I have an AoE spell active (Storm of Vengeance for example), I can reliably crash when going through a transition. If the AoE isn't active then most times I go through the same transition without crashing.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    There is a problem with area transitions in the Infinity engine related to sound drivers. I know NWN is a completely different engine, but if it inherited the sound-driver bug, you might try turning off all sound effects and background music, and seeing if that helps. If it does, try turning things back on slowly, to see if it is a specific cause, I think it was just the background music caused problems for the BG series.
    TheMarsBear
    I'll try tonight to see if turning off (some of) the sound. I would be nice to at least have some acknowledgement from Beamdog and address this issue.
    I just updated to the most recent version of Mac High Sierra, because I was having consistent problems with trying to re-enter Beggars Nest. Still crashed, so its not a matter of having the most recent version of the computer's software.

2nd try on trying to enter did what GreenWarlock said to do, and I turned all my sound options to 0%. Entered just fine!

Conclusion: I either got lucky, or sound options are a temporary fix to this problem
    Yeah it's the sound. Tried it works perfectly. Anyway to fix this?
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Has anyone reported the sound connection on Redmine yet? I don't own the game, so it won't be me!
  • HorriganHorrigan Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone been able to fix this properly yet? Any responses from Beamdog?
    I just bought EE and on my Macbook it is crashing every time I load a quicksave, and sometimes for other reasons. Reported already.