Skip to content

Premade modded Graphics Pack?

I don't suppose this exists at all does it?
I'm new to the modding scene and not very good or technical so I was hoping to download a premade graphics enhancement pack that I can just drop into the relevant folders and off I go?

Welcome any help for an older player :)

Comments

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Not sure what you are asking for here. If you want to just play with the graphics, how does a little thing I made that lets you create thousands of variations on shield designs sound, just to get your feet wet? You don't need to know anything about modelling to make use of it. Also if you use the recommended graphics program (no you don't need to draw anything either) you'll have a gentle introduction to manipulating images too.

Hope that helps.

TR
  • PrismvPrismv Member Posts: 26
    Sorry I probably wasn't clear. I was wondering if the is an existing collection of graphic improvement mods that I can just download and dump into the game to improve the look of everything?

I really don't understand how to mod and improve this version sadly
  • WrathPhoenixWrathPhoenix Member Posts: 4
    There's an override mod collection on steam that's a start. And the Community Expansion Pack is good.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The Community Expansion Pack is only needed for custom modules or PW's which make use of it. It doesn't do anything about vanilla game graphics though.

Project Q is probably something you will enjoy quite a bit. It is bssically a mod which replaces lots of NwN's models with high quality models. My favourites are project q's orc and lizardfolk models.

You may also find this article to be of interest.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Ah, in that case try @Zwerkules Neverwinter Nights facelift haks. Take a look at the pictures on the project page to see if that is how you want your game to look. Also if you have any trouble getting them to work, just come back here and holler :)

TR
    I've still yet to figure out how to get Project Q to work. I think it has to use a 'userpatch.ini' except no such ini existed and i've no idea how to make it myself. Properly , at least.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Okay here is a userpatch.ini and it goes into your C:\Users\YOU_NAME\Documents\Neverwinter Nights directory.

[Patch]

PatchFile000=q_vfxgui
    PatchFile001=q_tilesets
    PatchFile002=q_sounds
    PatchFile003=q_robe3
    PatchFile004=q_robe2
    PatchFile005=q_robe
    PatchFile006=q_race2
    PatchFile007=q_race
    PatchFile008=q_portraits
    PatchFile009=q_placeables
    PatchFile010=q_items
    PatchFile011=q_creatures
    PatchFile012=q_2da
    PatchFile013=q_!tilesets
    PatchFile014=q_!tilereskins
    PatchFile015=q_!fightingsfx

Then make sure you have all of projectq haks in the \haks directory and its tlk in the \tlk directory and anything else for other directories.

In the same directory where you put the userpatch.ini file you edit the nwn.ini and put a patch line in like this

PATCH=C:\Users\YOU_NAME\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\hak
    [Video Options]

When you want to add more things like heads or whatever else to add as a patch hak you edit the userpatch.ini and just add new lines like this

PatchFile016=another_hak
    PatchFile017=head_hak
    PatchFile018=robe_hak

etc.
    Thanks everyone this is just what I was looking for. So I grab the files and copy them into my enchanced edition override folder and that it?
    edited April 2018

The Community Expansion Pack is only needed for custom modules or PW's which make use of it. It doesn't do anything about vanilla game graphics though.

Project Q is probably something you will enjoy quite a bit. It is bssically a mod which replaces lots of NwN's models with high quality models. My favourites are project q's orc and lizardfolk models.

You may also find this article to be of interest.

Right I followed the guide and made a patch file but I'm not sure if I have copied everything in the right place. Is there a surefire way to check I have it working correctly please?
    Im unsure if I am copying the contents of the Project Q folder to my C:NVN or my C:user/NVN?

Okay here is a userpatch.ini and it goes into your C:\Users\YOU_NAME\Documents\Neverwinter Nights directory.

[Patch]

PatchFile000=q_vfxgui
    PatchFile001=q_tilesets
    PatchFile002=q_sounds
    PatchFile003=q_robe3
    PatchFile004=q_robe2
    PatchFile005=q_robe
    PatchFile006=q_race2
    PatchFile007=q_race
    PatchFile008=q_portraits
    PatchFile009=q_placeables
    PatchFile010=q_items
    PatchFile011=q_creatures
    PatchFile012=q_2da
    PatchFile013=q_!tilesets
    PatchFile014=q_!tilereskins
    PatchFile015=q_!fightingsfx

Then make sure you have all of projectq haks in the \haks directory and its tlk in the \tlk directory and anything else for other directories.

In the same directory where you put the userpatch.ini file you edit the nwn.ini and put a patch line in like this

PATCH=C:\Users\YOU_NAME\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\hak
    [Video Options]

When you want to add more things like heads or whatever else to add as a patch hak you edit the userpatch.ini and just add new lines like this

PatchFile016=another_hak
    PatchFile017=head_hak
    PatchFile018=robe_hak

etc.

Thank you so much! I couldnt figure out what if anything i was doing wrong. I'll try it after work.

IT's been a LONG time since ive worked with NWN - but it's probably a leading reason i work in the field i do so im so happy to see BD take it under their wing like all my other favorites.
    I just can't get this to work.
    What do I call the userpatch.ini
    At the moment it's called "nvnpatch.ini" and it's in my main game directory

I don't know where to put the tlk files?

It seems the instructions on this page https://lilura1.blogspot.com.es/p/nwn-utility-visual-mods.html differ to the enhanced edition?

I'm tearing my hair out here wondering why it won't work?
    Does the TLK from Project Q go in my local folder or the main game file please?
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    There should be a TLK folder that it goes in.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    You create it with a text editor like Notepad. Name it "userpatch.ini" without the quote marks. Put it into your Neverwinter Nights directory (C:\User\YourUserName\Documents\Neverwinter Nights).
    In that same directory is a file called nwn.ini and you open it with Notepad or whatnot and put the Patch stuff in there, as shown in Sylvus_Moonbow post.
    For any tlk files, you may need to go to that same directory we've been talking about and if there's no folder named "tlk" just create one there named "tlk" and drop the tlk files in it. If it's already there, just put the files into it.

Good luck.
    Just wanted to say it worked. Thank you guys. I put all haks and tlk files etc in the appropriate folders in the neverwinter nights directory under 'my documents'
    Is it possible please to check that Project Q has been installed correctly? I don't actually know what to look for to see if I've done it right?
    Sure is.

So navigate to your C:\Users\YOU_NAME\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\hak directory.

These are all the hak files from Project Q location.

q_!armoury.hak
    q_!fightingsfx.hak
    q_!tilereskins.hak
    q_!tilesets.hak
    q_!vd_build.hak
    q_2da.hak
    q_creatures.hak
    q_items.hak
    q_placeables.hak
    q_portraits.hak
    q_race.hak
    q_race2.hak
    q_robe.hak
    q_robe2.hak
    q_robe3.hak
    q_robe4.hak
    q_sounds.hak
    q_tilesets.hak
    q_vfxgui.hak

go back a directory and enter the \tlk directory. Make sure you have this in there

projectQ.tlk

Now I don't know how you downloaded Q but if you did it by manually opening up an archive file you would have just dragged and dropped the files into its specific directory anyway.
    Thanks sorry what I mean is how do I check I have it working correctly in the game? I'm not sure how to check within the game if the Project Q is active
    Well you will notice the weapons and armor look different, placeables and tilesets look updated. Like some tilesets will now have ceilings, and monsters will have been updated their look too.
    Well it's just not working for me. I have followed all the instructions above and have double checked everything but it won't work.

The userpatch is in the right place and configured so is the nvn.ini

I have the Community 1.72 patch working and configured correctly so I just don't get it?

Also the folders from the Prokect Q zip are in my local directory as well.

The game starts fine but I see no changes at all?
  • Well, firstly Project Q was never meant to be implemented as a patch-hak. Although it can be done, you will be missing one key feature that cannot be used via patch-hak - the Project Q tlk file. No mater what you do, custom tlk files will NOT load through the patch-hak method. Thus, in reality its kind of pointless to try and use Q in this method unless you are only looking for limited functionality. Some of the limited functionality you'll see:

1. Expanded custom palettes will show blank text for new field names.
    2. No new creature, item, placeable, or tiles will appear in content not specifically designed with Project Q (this includes the OC, SoU, and HotU); although, overwriting content should appear.
    3. No ACP. The files are there, but without the scripts to enable it, you can't use it.
    4. No custom phenotypes. Again, the files are there but the content cannot be used unless the module you are playing was specifically designed to use it.
    5. etc. etc.

Secondly, Project Q has not been updated for EE. While it may work with it, I have little doubt that there will be issues with the EE that have yet to reveal themselves.

Thirdly, Project Q is a MODULE ADD-ON pack. That means, you create a module in the toolset, then follow the documentation in /docs/qDocs to install Project Q into the module (this documentation is included in each release notes txt file.)
    I just want to have the updated models, graphics and icons etc I still can't understand why it's not working for me?
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Well, the differences is if models, graphics, icons, etc., are set up to replace the existing ones that ship with the game, you'll see the difference in any modules that use those original resources. Like the Original Campaign (The Wailing Death): A goblin model that is designed to 'override' the original goblin model will be named the same, so when the engine displays it, it'll use the new one instead.
    ProjectQ, as Paul says, is designed to be used in creating new modules (or one could go back and update old modules), using the Toolset. Then, that module can be played by anyone who's installed ProjectQ, and they'll see all that new stuff in that module.

The solution for you, I think, is to install Zwerkule's Facelift as described above. Then install an overriding Creature Compilation the same way. Those models will take the place of the old models in The Wailing Death and other OC modules, and you'll see the difference immediately.

-JFK
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, that is why I like using Q as a patch hak because it overrides so much original content and makes it look really nice so I do not even have to be a builder to enjoy it or just play a module with Q part of it. Check out this picture of the same area, placeables, and monsters with and without Q. Using default old bioware character you can see weapons become different too and there are sounds of doors opening being different and when you drag and drop items in your inventory.

I do not know why it is not working for you @Prismv but once you have it working it is great!

before Q as patch hak

NO PQ
    NO PQ

after Q as patch hak
    WITH PQ
    WITH PQ

and I got info on what it does and looks like from a nwn blogger you can visit it here if you want.

But some more images of what patch hak in Q will do.

and difference in weapons and armors

Well I hope you get it working @Prismv because it is worth the trouble of downloading the haks and organizing them to a patch hak system so default nwn pops.

Ok thank you for this.
    So I think I have made some progress, I added the "PATCH" line at the top of my ini file. (not after the Video Options as someone else suggested on this post and I can see the amended weaponds icos as shown above) BUT I'm starting the campaign from new in the Prelude so will the Project Q changes not show up during this section?

I'm a single player so want to try and complete the official campaigns first, will the Project Q only work in later sections?

Thanks
    edited April 2018
    I started the campaign with a default made character druid and the prelude works just fine with Q as a patch hak. Here are some pictures to show you how it looks and just how you can check too. I show my characters inventory next to placeables that you can see have new looks to them and another picture shopping with some dwarf guy showing all the store weapons having new looks to them too.

So if you see it that way in your game too you are all set and ready to go and now that you know how to do this you can download other retexture packs and add them to your patch hak too like Q does.
    Thank you so much Sylvus I finally got it working and my screen is like yours.

So in addition to the Project Q are there any other haks I should download.
    Is there a better UI option?
    Is there a mod to make loot appear quicker or auto loot? It seems to take an age picking everything up lol
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited April 2018
    There's Stylish GUI, Baldur's Gate GUI, BG2 Themed GUI, Enhanced GUI and to a lesser extend also Custom Menus.

The only mod I know of that kind of makes loot appear quicker than default is Hyper-Gore Re-Revisited Edition. And that's only because bodies won't disappear into thin air anymore, making it possible to loot them as soon as you killed them. Not sure if that's what you're looking for tho.
    Thanks again for these, they are just what I was looking for. Much appreciated