Skip to content

NWN Mods on Steam Workshop

2»

Comments

• Savant1974Savant1974 Member Posts: 303
    Not sure where else to mention this, I've encountered a bit of an issue with EE on the steam workshop @JuliusBorisov. When I subscribe to an item on the workshop, it downloads it into the steamapps/workshop directory just like other workshop items. But the steam version still seems to be looking at documents/neverwinternights for all of its files, so I have to copy things over from the steam directory for them to work in the steam version.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    No steam does a double duty thing. Best way to explain is it, is to make a simple module then move the module to another folder that not connect to NWN at all and then upload it to steam from there(it package with hakpak etc.. it keep it all pack together. Start up steam and make it hidden for you own testing. Subscribe to it in Steam NWN EE and it will look in both and but only display one or display one that are in the module folder and one subscribed. when you go into play the module through steam version(not beamdog client). It a system so people can play a subscribed module and then unsubscribe and try another. I sure some of the others who have upload their modules can explain it better.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,282
    edited March 2018
    If you start with nothing in documents, then upload a module and its haks to a Steam Workshop item, in my experience Steam will play the module and find the haks in its own folders.

However, if a file exists in both documents and Steam, it will find both versions. For example, if a module is in both folders, it will appear twice in the module list when you start a new game in Steam. If there are two versions of a hak, I'm not sure which one takes priority, but you have to copy the latest content to both places to ensure success.

As I understand it, when you run a module in Steam, it pools the files in documents with those in the Steam folder for the module, plus overrides from every subscribed Steam Workshop item.

To reduce confusion, I prefer to archive documents before working with Steam, then unsubscribe from Steam and restore documents.
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266

So I'm planning to put the Aielund Saga onto Steam Workshop, and I think I've figured it out, but I needed to check something. Basically, I need to put all of the files a mod needs into the directory that's going to get uploaded, so the module files themselves, and all hakpaks it needs. Is that right? I mean... what about CEP? What about extra community content? All of it? That would mean that every mod that gets put on there that uses CEP gets its own version of CEP on there too. My series needs the Real Skies hak, that's 1.2gb. It'll basically duplicate big community content packs for each and every mod. That sounds horribly inefficient! Am I doing something wrong or is that really how this is going to work?

@Savant1974 if you still have problems loading the mods on the workshop look at my illustrated guide, it helps you a lot and I tried to explain every single step:

Yeah I figured it out a while ago thanks :) Real Skies Lite is up there, and I'll put the saga online when the necessary hak files appear.
    Say, how does one go about publishing an update on steam workshop with nwn? Is it just the same WorkshopUpload command or is there another process?
    It's exactly the same as the initial upload. You have to upload a folder containing all the files, not just the ones that have changed. If you omit a file that was uploaded before, it will be deleted from the Workshop Item.

I may be wrong, but updates seem faster than initial loads, so perhaps Steam detects which files have changed to save bandwidth.
    Except that it seems to make a separate entry to the original, not updating the first.
    Unfortunately it uses the folder name to generate the title of the work. If you subsequently change the title using the Steam Workshop editor, you must also change the name of your upload folder to match exactly. Otherwise, the next upload is considered to be a new work.

I hit this problem because I thought Steam wouldn't like blanks in the path name. I called my folder c:\riding_academy, then changed the title to Riding Academy. Wrong. The command I use now is

##WorkshopUpload "c:\Riding Academy"
    Ah, that solved it! Thanks muchly :smile: