Skip to content

Freescape Skill-based Leveling System - Looking for Feedback

2»

Comments

• ValgavValgav Member Posts: 25
    I love your concept and it's very similar to something I wanted to build but I have one question. Why not use regular skills and haks? I know it's possible to do everything with variables but it would be much cleaner for players to have everything on character sheet. Also I see that only open part is java as there's no nwn side of it. Do you plan to release at least demo presenting that or you treat that as your internal private knowledge how to hook it up? ;)
    zunathAtrophiederic
  • zunathzunath Member Posts: 92
    edited March 2018
    @Valgav We didn't want to create more of a barrier to entry than we had to. It took a lot for me to even decide to use CEP, to be honest. We might consider using haks if/when the auto-download is implemented.

The specific problems I have with NWN-style skills is that they're really finicky. There are places where the skill ID is hard coded so if you want to replace it, the replacement skill will still function like the original did. Then there's a lot of black box stuff where you have to know under which situations a skill will increase/decrease based on the character's attributes. All of this can be worked around but it's a real pain.

Another problem is you can't display arbitrary data in the character sheet. So players would need to go to a separate menu to view their XP for each individual skill anyway. Then there's the Perk menu which is a separate piece from your character sheet as well.

Basically it comes down to NWN limitations and the convenience of being able to update the skills on the fly as needed.

We have a module we're specifically building for use with the skill system so I won't be open sourcing that piece. However, I have plans to document the set up process and how to adjust things. When we release, balance, and test the thing I'll most likely release a base module for people to use. But it's so premature right now it's not even on my radar :)

Until then, if you're interested in playing with it feel free to pop on Discord and join our alpha when the time comes! https://discord.gg/q38r3gw
    AtrophiedericProont
  • AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    @zunath

that's all good to know, thank you very much for 'splaining! Tinkering with github is a bit beyond my skill level/comfort zone at this point, so i'll just lurk in the background! I do look forward to a base module coming on your radar, and i am a very patient person!

also, I never answered the question - i have multiple versions of the CEP installed on my machine, so no problemo there!
    zunath
  • AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    Congrats on the progress, those shots look super coolio!
    zunath
  • loudentloudent Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2018
    You might want to consider checking out Legends of Aria. It allows you to build custom worlds and it already has a built in skill based system. It's also much more customizable as just about everything except the graphics engine itself is open to change. Just FYI. I believe it's still in alpha but can be played.
    loudent said:

You might want to consider checking out Legends of Aria. It allows you to build custom worlds and it already has a built in skill based system. It's also much more customizable as just about everything except the graphics engine itself is open to change. Just FYI. I believe it's still in alpha but can be played.

Sounds like a cool game. We're pretty close to leaving Alpha soon, so we probably won't switch games (plus our team only has experience with NWN - we'd be starting from scratch if we went to LoA).

Do they have similar client/server/toolset offerings?
    voidofopinion
  • loudentloudent Member Posts: 38
    zunath said:

Do they have similar client/server/toolset offerings?

The ease of use of NWN1 is unparalleled but yeah, they have similar offerings. The toolset is basically Unity. The entire game is written in LUA and is open to modding. It's still in Alpha so some things are kind of rough. There are already some Player built PWs that you can play on (in addition to the official server)

zunath
    edited April 2018
    Hi all,

http://freescape.pw/

I wanted to drop a link to our new website. It's still going under revisions (especially on the storyline/lore page).

But I wanted to give those of you who have been tracking the project a sneak peak. Please have a look around!
    AtrophiedericProont
    Hi all. Sorry for the long absence. I've had some RL stuff come up in the past few months which I had to deal with.

I've spent the past few days doing a conversion of the code over to C# as well as cleaning up some things, fixing bugs, etc. It's in a really good place right now and ready to be used.

Unfortunately, I don't think the skill system will be used for the Freescape project. In my absence, the creator of that project decided to go on a different route.

I'm now looking for a home for it because I really want to see it used.

With the coming release of NWSync I was interested to see if anyone would be interested in playing a sci-fi server that used this as its core? I've written up some storyline / background information for the world. You can check it out here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n-uObA5AJ5Ly9g3TPab-8tc6sD-10HOMCzHZB2XyPYg/edit

In a nutshell, the world I have in mind is a mix of Phantasy Star, Star Ocean, and Firefly. There aren't any lightsabers or blasters in this universe. :)

Looking for constructive feedback. Thanks!
    Hi all,

This will be my last post for the Freescape skill system as I've moved on to working on a Star Wars server called Star Wars: Legends of the Old Republic. You can find out more about the project here: http://starwarsnwn.com

I will be using a modified version of this skill system there and invite you all to come check it out!

Thanks for continuing to follow the project and I hope to see some of you there. You can find our Discord here: https://discord.gg/MyQAM6m