Skip to content

How to extract .PNG images of .ARE files with Auto-map notes visible on the images?

Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
I'm using NearInfinity to extract the .PNG images of the .ARE files to add them to the Icewind Dale Wiki. I enabled Automap Notes under the Layers section of the right-hand-side menu of the Area Viewer. So far it's okay, and I can see the Automap notes visible on my desktop. Now, when I'm trying to Export the Map Image as a .PNG file, the Automap Notes layer is not getting included in it. And that's the problem. Can anyone please tell me how I can include that Automap Notes layer in the extracted .PNG file?

And yes, if anyone wishes to help in building up the Icewind Dale Wiki, I shall be very glad and most grateful. For that purpose please see this thread first, and then pay a friendly visit to the Icewind Dale Wiki! :smiley:

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Thank you so much @Bubb! That worked brilliantly! This proves to be very helpful for me. :smile:
    Bubb said:

I believe? I am allowed to post this here (I'm pretty sure the license allows this as long as I include the source), though I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I'll remove this if I am indeed breaking some rule, or if argent is displeased with me redistributing Near Infinity here.

As for the license thing, although I'm not very experienced in these matters, but this is what the GNU Lesser General Public License (which is the license of NearInfinity's Source Code) says:
    ......"When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom of use, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for this service if you wish); that you receive source code or can get it if you want it; that you can change the software and use pieces of it in new free programs; and that you are informed that you can do these things."
    "For example, if you distribute copies of the library, whether gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that we gave you. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. If you link other code with the library, you must provide complete object files to the recipients, so that they can relink them with the library after making changes to the library and recompiling it. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights."

"We protect your rights with a two-step method: (1) we copyright the library, and (2) we offer you this license, which gives you legal permission to copy, distribute and/or modify the library.".....
  • TIndell6466TIndell6466 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all
    I have a question regarding Near Infinity and Exporting ARE maps from BG2:EE, as they include water, anims etc.. I downloaded Bubb's NI file from above, and every function including exporting as PNG files is working quite nicely. However, some of the biggest maps, like the City Docks, cannot load and give the error message "Not enough memory to load area." Just wondering if there is a solution, in Near Infinity, Java, or Windows 10 itself. Even some of the Huge TIS maps cannot load or export either with same message.

Regardless, thank you all for the aforementioned posts to help gamers capture some incredible artwork!
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    I'm pretty sure all this functionality have already reached the official NearInfinity builds so there's no point of using the builds from this topic.

The official NearInfinity builds also include information about the currently used Java runtime, including memory values. You might want to install one of the newer x64 runtimes.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    Hello all
    I have a question regarding Near Infinity and Exporting ARE maps from BG2:EE, as they include water, anims etc.. I downloaded Bubb's NI file from above, and every function including exporting as PNG files is working quite nicely. However, some of the biggest maps, like the City Docks, cannot load and give the error message "Not enough memory to load area." Just wondering if there is a solution, in Near Infinity, Java, or Windows 10 itself. Even some of the Huge TIS maps cannot load or export either with same message.

Regardless, thank you all for the aforementioned posts to help gamers capture some incredible artwork!

As mentioned above, the requested feature already exists in the official Near Infinity. You can enable it in the Area Viewer options ("Include layer items when exporting map as graphics").

The insufficient memory issue is a strong indication that you're using the 32-bit version of Java to run NI which uses terrible memory settings by default. I would recommend to download and install the setup version from the latest release to install Near Infinity. It already includes the right version of Java and associates the "chitin.key" file from the games with Near Infinity, so you can run Near Infinity simply by double clicking on the file in the file manager.
  • TIndell6466TIndell6466 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the speedy replies and advice/suggestions--- Turns out that the issue was using an older 32-bit version of Java, as by using the newer version, I had no problem viewing and downloading any of the larger Area maps/.are files (Docks etc.) after using the latest release.

Appreciate the help with troubleshooting! :)