- 6 AC Best Possible for Viconia?

Un-modded EE version on iPAD:

Ankheg Armor
Large Shield + 1
Sword and Shield style
Ring of the Princes
Dex - 4

Just talking base (not missile etc) and without spells etc active

Anything more possible to make her base AC even better?

Comments

• SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Sword and shield style doesn't boost base defense, it only increases AC vs. missile attacks. It's by far the weakest weapon style, so it's generally not considered worth boosting unless you just have extra points and nowhere to spend them.

Also, while Ankheg Plate and Full Plate have the same *base* AC, Full Plate is much more protective overall thanks to bonuses. Full Plate has -3 AC vs slashing, -2 vs. piercing, -2 vs. missile, and 1 vs. crushing, for an average of -1.5. Ankheg Plate has -2 vs. slashing, 0 vs. piercing, 0 vs. missile, and 1 vs. crushing, for an average of -0.25. Full Plate is, on average, a full point better than Ankheg Plate (though both will produce identical "base AC" numbers on the character screen, if all you care about is the number on the character screen). Note: to equip full plate, you'll have to give Viconia the gauntlets of ogre power.

Beyond that, here are items that can further boost her AC:
    The Guard's Ring (Ring of Protection +2) instead of Ring of Princes gives you another +1.
    There's a Large Shield +2 at the bottom of Durlag's Tower for another +1.
    Helm of Balduran is another +1.
    Claw of Kazgaroth is another +1, but it's cursed and will lower Viconia's HP by one per level (unless you give her the constitution tome).

That will get you to -9 on the character screen, (-10 with the Claw of Kazgaroth, too), not counting whatever other bonuses you might be getting from your gear against specific attack types, (like the Full Plate vs. Ankheg Plate bonuses).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Another item to boost AC is the Cloak of Balduran (-1 AC), which is stackable with the Guard's Ring.
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    All excellent advice - thanks !

What's the max you've seen for her on Missile modifier ?

I have her at - 15 now.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    edited April 2018
    Let's see:
    You can also use Potions of Mind Focusing and DuHM to get her to DEX 25, for an additional -2 AC. Cloak of Displacement gets another -4 bonus vs Missiles, Senses of the Cat gets another -5, Shield of the Falling Stars instead of Large Shield +2 is a net +1 vs missiles, Sword and Shield style gets another +2, Elf's Bane gets another +3, the Claw as mentioned above nets another +5 vs missiles. Shield Amulet grants an additional +2.

All together:
    Potion of Defense: 0
    Full Plate bonus: -2
    DEX bonus: -6
    Cloak of Displacement: -4
    Senses of the Cat: -5
    Shield of the Falling Stars: -5
    Sword and Shield style: -2
    Elf's Bane: -3
    Claw of Kazgaroth: -5
    Guard's Ring: -2
    Helm of Baldurun: -1
    Shield Amulet: -2
    (Maybe cheating but why not): Defensive Harmony: -2
    So recorded AC of -14, and AC vs Missiles at -39. -12 and -37 if Defensive Harmony's not allowed. This can get even higher if Improved Invisibility from a Mage is also allowed.

This is obviously severe overkill, but if you hate SCS Diarmid THAT much, this is doable.
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    All very nice - thanks. I am pounding my way through Durlag's atm and soon will hit my level cap.

After that, I am looking to max out my team with items / training / tomes etc before taking on Sarevok and his merry band.

I like throwing Viconia out there as a AC Tank and then having hasted Dorn and Shar-teel come in on the flanks to cause heavy damage.

Baeloth in the back slowing our targets down ...

Even though it may be overkill as mentioned above - it will be fun trying to make her into an excellent AC Tank.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited April 2018
    Can also use Potion of Absorption and DUHM

and the belts

and the cloak of blur
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Neverused said:

Let's see:
    You can also use Potions of Mind Focusing and DuHM to get her to DEX 25, for an additional -2 AC. Cloak of Displacement gets another -4 bonus vs Missiles, Senses of the Cat gets another -5, Shield of the Falling Stars instead of Large Shield +2 is a net +1 vs missiles, Sword and Shield style gets another +2, Elf's Bane gets another +3, the Claw as mentioned above nets another +5 vs missiles. Shield Amulet grants an additional +2.

All together:
    Potion of Defense: 0
    Full Plate bonus: -2
    DEX bonus: -6
    Cloak of Displacement: -4
    Senses of the Cat: -5
    Shield of the Falling Stars: -5
    Sword and Shield style: -2
    Elf's Bane: -3
    Claw of Kazgaroth: -5
    Guard's Ring: -2
    Helm of Baldurun: -1
    Shield Amulet: -2
    (Maybe cheating but why not): Defensive Harmony: -2
    So recorded AC of -14, and AC vs Missiles at -39. -12 and -37 if Defensive Harmony's not allowed. This can get even higher if Improved Invisibility from a Mage is also allowed.

This is obviously severe overkill, but if you hate SCS Diarmid THAT much, this is doable.

i believe armor modifiers cap at -20 not matter how much your bonus is
  • stu-kstu-k Member Posts: 30
    and if you cast bless before a major battle +1 to all attacks and - to all enemy attacks. in effect lowering AC and your Thac0 by 1
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314
    Bless only has a positive effect on you, i.e. it doesn't help your AC. Chant does work both ways round, so may effectively give you an AC benefit (though it only effects enemies that were in the radius at the time the spell was cast and some enemies have magic resistance or immunity to the spell).