Skip to content

Status of the PST IP / Legal Rights ?

Can anyone direct me to (what they feel) is a good summary of the current status ?

After just completing my first run, I am of course wanting a whole lot more PST ;)

And would like to know the actual chances of more CRPG games being published in this setting.

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited April 2018
    The Planescape setting is owned by Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro. They can license developers to make further Planescape titles, although they can't be called "Torment".

inXile has the rights to the "Torment" title, but they don't have a license to the Planescape setting. So Torment: Tides of Numenera is billed as a "spiritual successor" to PST. However, inXile has called sales "disappointing", so I wouldn't count on a sequel.

EDIT: And Beamdog is not working on a new Planescape CRPG... https://www.pcgamer.com/beamdog-says-its-not-working-on-a-new-planescape-project/
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    Thanks for the information Astro.

It's sad when good IP and programming resources are all tangled up in messy contracts etc ....

I'm playing TTON and enjoying but it does not seem that many other deep RPGs such as these are available or on the horizon.

From what you've posted however it seems that BeamDog could possibly publish more Planescape releases working with WOTC - but are choosing not to (at this point).

I guess games such as these just don't have the sales potential of other projects.

That's unfortunate.

I would, for my part, be willing to pay a higher price for what then might be considered a "niche" product.