Skip to content

For a Sorcerer: Vitriolic Sphere or Mordenkainen's Force Missiles?

Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
So I've been playing a Solo Dragon Disciple run of IWD:EE, and it's turning out pretty well. I've got access to the Level 4 spells, and tried out both Mordenkainen's Force Missiles and Vitriolic Sphere (by changing them using EEKeeper, of course, I'd never take two same level spells of the same type for a Sorcerer) as the general offensive spell for that level. It appears to me that Mordenkainen's Force Missiles takes a lot of time to scale upto the proper power level, while Vitriolic Sphere gives you a high damaging option almost as soon as you get it.

The spells are provided below within Spoiler tags for ease of reference:

Vitriolic Sphere

(Conjuration)
Level: 4
Range: Visual range of the caster
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: 9-ft. radius
Saving Throw: Special

This spell conjures a sphere of glowing emerald acid that the caster can direct to strike any target within range. When it reaches its target, the sphere explodes and drenches the victim in potent acid. The victim suffers 1d4 points of acid damage per caster level, to a maximum of 12d4 points of damage. After the initial damage, the victim must make a Saving Throw to avoid more damage. If unsuccessful, the victim continues to suffer acid damage in the following rounds, sustaining two less dice of damage each round. For example, an 8th-level wizard inflicts 8d4 damage with this spell on the first round, 6d4 on the second round, 4d4 on the third round, 2d4 on the fourth round, and the spell ends on the fifth round. Each round after the first, the victim is entitled to a Save vs. Spell to avoid further damage.

The vitriolic sphere also splashes acid in a 9-ft. radius around the primary target. Any creatures within the splash radius must save vs. Petrification/Polymorph or suffer a splash hit that inflicts 1d4 points of damage per every five levels of the caster. Splash hits do not cause continuing damage.

Mordenkainen’s Force Missiles

(Invocation)
Level: 4
Range: Visual range of the caster
Duration: Instant
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: 5-ft. radius
Saving Throw: Special

This spell creates a brilliant globe of magical energy that streaks forth from the caster’s hand to unerringly strike its target, much like a Magic Missile spell. The wizard creates one missile at 7th level and an additional missile at every third level after 7th—in other words, two missiles at 10th level, three at 13th, four at 16th, and so on, to a maximum of seven missiles at 25th level. Each missile inflicts 2d4 points of damage to the target and then bursts in a 5-ft. radius concussive blast that inflicts 1 point of damage per level of the caster—for example, a 12th-level wizard could conjure two force missiles, each of which strikes for 2d4+12 points of magic damage. Creatures taking damage can attempt a Save vs. Spell to negate the concussion damage, but the impact of the missile itself allows no Saving Throw. The 1st-level wizard spell Shield will absorb the force missiles harmlessly, including the concussion damage.

If you were to choose between one of them, which one would you take?
  1. For a Sorcerer: Vitriolic Sphere or Mordenkainen's Force Missiles?20 votes
    1. Vitriolic Sphere
      35.00%
    2. Mordenkainen's Force Missiles
      65.00%

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    When in doubt, take the spell that scales better.
    RaduzielMirandel
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    sphere without hesitation.

not only it takes cares of trolls but it's also gigantic burst dmg.

force missiles only shine in IWD2 if i remember right
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 999
    edited April 2018
    If I remember correctly, the "5-ft. radius concussive blast" of Mordenkainen’s Force Missiles will also hit party members / the caster if they are too close to the target and they fail the save vs. spell. I hate spells that can friendly fire, and thus I went for Vitriolic Sphere. In my mind, Vitriolic Sphere is pretty much an upgraded Acid Arrow, just with a lot higher damage; it's nice and reliable single-target spell that almost always works, no matter the situation.

Edit: I just read that apparently Vitriolic Sphere also has splash damage :s, though I've never experienced it first hand; disregard that point. I don't really know which to pick now, as they both have very similar damage output when maxed out. I would probably still pick Vitriolic Sphere, as it maxes out its damage much earlier than Mordenkainen’s Force Missiles, and it has the chance of lingering damage, which would put it ahead of Mordenkainen’s Force Missiles in overall damage output.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I don't think there's a "wrong" answer here. Both spells are quite good, and I've always had a fondness for acid type spells from a flavor standpoint.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I don't like the idea of a relatively powerful spell like MFM being stopped cold by a shield spell.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Can't go wrong with either honestly.
    ThacoBell
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    ThacoBell said:

When in doubt, take the spell that scales better.

I'll second that and add: when in doubt, go for the magic damage.
    Quartz
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Well, well, after some more play-testing, I found out that for Mordenkainen's Force Missiles you need to make a separate Save for every missile's concussion damage. Anyways, I would like it if someone can confirm this fact.

This is because in certain cases, the Save vs. Spell statement doesn't appear at all in the message box, and in those cases, the opponent takes NO secondary concussion damage at all, although the missile was targetted directly at him. Strange.

Now, if the separate save for each missile is true, then Mordenkainen's Force Missiles is undoubtedly better than Vitriolic Sphere. (Wish it was in BG2 as well, since there's no decent level 4 offensive spells there.)