Skip to content

Baldur's Gate EE - Bizarre problem

generic_bunnygeneric_bunny Member Posts: 2
edited April 2018 in Troubleshooting
Okay, I have no clue how to start googling this one. I bought bgee & bg2ee on gog today. Installed bgee, had fun time figuring out how to get it work with the libs ive got installed, launched and technically it launched. My issue is that the first menu is in miniscule resolution and about none of the buttons work. When I click quit it takes me to bg main menu but the menu shows only half of the screen, formatted to the right side of my monitor. I cannot click any of the buttons (of the two that is visible, namely new game and options). At this point, I cannot do anything. I cannot use the menu to quit bgee and I cannot alt tab out of it or anything. I can use ctrl+alt+fx to move to another tty instance and use that to kill bgee but I cannot actually play the game or actually use it to any degree.

I have no idea how I would start to google this issue. I cannot give any terminal output nor screenshots about the issue since after launching the screenshot program won't work (I think bgee hijacks the prntscrn buttons functionality). The only thing I can give is hardinfo listing of my current setup: https://0bin.net/paste/DESGPZ5bAm6w7xBv#ctXwz8c2EeTrVTo3+-aGBc0jYIiTMNuS1O/VoR2FS5H

EDIT: One more thing. I can edit the screen options via the .lua file @ ~/.local/share/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition where I can turn the game into windowed mode. When the game is in windowed mode it works but any option regarding full screen does not work and yeah, I want this to be in full screen mode.

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Hello
    In-game screenshots should be stored in ~/.local/share/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/scrnshot but may show a "normal" view (e.g. of 50% larger 2880x1620 instead of 1920x1080 montitor size).

While in game, Alt/Enter should switch between Windowed and Fullscreen modes (it may take several attempts on Linux, bug reported). You shouldn't need to edit the lua file for switching modes.

Do you have anything like accessibility zoom enabled, that's what previous reports on Windows identifies as happening.
    JuliusBorisov
  • generic_bunnygeneric_bunny Member Posts: 2
    alt+enter simply turned the screen black. Anyways, in the .lua file I could turn the game from fullscreen to maximized which works fine enough. Now I just lack sound and there doesnt seem to be any reason why the sound doesn't work either.
  • little_ducklinglittle_duckling Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2018

My issue is that the first menu is in miniscule resolution and about none of the buttons work. When I click quit it takes me to bg main menu but the menu shows only half of the screen, formatted to the right side of my monitor.

Could be the window manager or compositing in X-Cinnamon.

I cannot alt tab out of it or anything. I can use ctrl+alt+fx to move to another tty instance and

Have you tried making a new X server without cinnamon running on it?
    Either run:
    > startx xterm
    or
    > xinit xterm -- :1
    Either command will put you on ctrl+alt+f8.

Then start BGEE in there.