Skip to content

DM reminders on map

NotsagTelperosNotsagTelperos Member Posts: 9
edited April 2018 in Dungeon Masters
This is probably something common, but does anyone know how to put a placeable on the field that only the DM can see, like a flag, so i could read something i wrote down on its comments, like narrative stuff or some sort or reminder.

it would help a lot (i would love to know what i was thinking last night when i put a naked halfling called Johnsie in the middle of an orc camp, im sure it was hilarious at the time)

Edit: Just in case, im asking in the Nwn editor, sometimes i put down stuff while preparing an adventure and then forget why i put that there, or think of a nice narration for a place but then, when i get to play, i forget what i was going to narrate in that exact place, so DM notes would be amazing.
Post edited by NotsagTelperos on

Comments

• JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Hmm. Could you put that sort of notes in the Notes area of your DM's Journal? You could put a map pin on with a name, and then name the Journal entries as a sort of 'key' to your notes?

Or do you mean something else?

-JFK
  • NotsagTelperosNotsagTelperos Member Posts: 9
    Just found out i can do this with triggers, a generic trigger is invisible to the players but visible to the Gm, so that way i can put a trigger in the map and write whatever i want to remember on the comments of the trigger, but it would be nice to have a more easily identifiable way.

The map pin idea is a good one too, but i think the trigger one would work better for me at least.

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    edited April 2018
    1. Clone placeables.2da into your override folder and edit it
    2. Find a placeable appearance you want this to look like, for you (pick something that doesn't block movement)
    3. Clone that row into a new/free row, change the name so that you can identify it.
    4. In the toolset, make a custom placeable using this "new" appearance, edit its description or whatever, mark it useable
    5. Place it in the area
    Because the players don't have this row in their version of placeables.2da, they will not see the model (it will be invisible and unusable to them), but you will see it. You can even extract the model/texture from some hak and use that so it totally stands out from the rest of the scene - maybe the new CEP waypoint models, that are typically invisible but can be made visible for this.

The downside here is that if players know what you are doing, they can put their own placeables.2da in the override and see the same thing you see. But if this is a close group of friends, that shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT: If you're using haks that already modify placeables.2da, you'll need to put your version in the top hak instead of override
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited April 2018
    Just make a placable non-target, non-usable, with no walkmesh, no mesh, there some basic placable in the stock assets that you could use. Make them plot(no fireballs destroying your notes. You can give your DM a dm power script that cycles all placables in area with you notes tag(script cycle check will find even static placables) and you can read off thier descriptions and update them, destroy them through a conversation cycle system. You could even have dm placable notes for every encounter and the pc will never know of them and cannot interact with them. I did most of this in the past, just testing cycles conversation system and static placable systems but never put it all together. I only need a single persistent notes system for my DMing and made that instead. Good luck getting your system together, maybe I make one later when I have more time. I like your trigger idea too. Could save local strings to custom trigger and use dm power targeted on the trigger to read and interact with it settings.
    Post edited by ShadowM on
  • NotsagTelperosNotsagTelperos Member Posts: 9
    Those are some awesome ideas, and should probably try them, but so far the trigger one is working wonders for me, thanks guys !