Skip to content

Constitution and dual classing

klezkiklezki Member Posts: 2
I have a lvl 9 kensai with 19 con, so i already got all d10 hit dices and con bonuses. I dual him to mage so i need to reach lvl 10 to start gaining xp as a mage. On lvl 10 i should gain 4 hp from hit dice (max hp per lvl on) and 2 from constitution, but i only get 4. So it seems like 2 hp bonus from con is missing.

I have tested this on fighter(9) > thief(10) and still i got only 6 hp, no bonus. If i dual him at lvl 8 i get 2 hp con bonus on 9 and 10 lvl as a thief, so all the bonuses are in place.

I know this is just 2 hp but i just cant see the reason why they are missing. Could this be a bug?
The game is BG2 EE

Comments

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,351
    @klezki
    This is no bug, but how it is. In Bg2, ToB and Bg2:ee there is only a capped HP per level up (but its not a dice, bit a fixed sum). After the ninth level characters only get the following HP:

Fighters, paladins and rangers: 3 HP,
    Priests, druids, bards, monks and thiefs: 2 HP,
    Mages and sorcerers: 1 HP.

I cant recall which mod that changes the above. Some give less HP than the above stated, but none give more as I recall..
  • klezkiklezki Member Posts: 2
    According to this wiki page wizard and rogue class group get antother dice and con bonus on 10 level
    http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Constitution
    klezki said:

According to this wiki page wizard and rogue class group get antother dice and con bonus on 10 level

So the wiki says. Sadly the game begs to differ - even in vanilla
    @klezki
    Come to think about it. I believe the excellent CD tweaks adds the possibility for HP rolls untill level 20.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297

klezki said:

So the wiki says. Sadly the game begs to differ - even in vanilla
    No, it seems to be correct at least for Mages. I just create a Mage in unmodded ToB-EE. He started out at Level 16 with 66 HP. This is 6 (max roll of 4 + 2 con bonus) x 10 + 6 x 1.

Also, the fact that OP gets 4 hp at level 10 instead of 1 hp is interesting. If it was just the high-class behavior of fixed HPs it would have been 1 hp.

Given that con boosts retroactively boost your HP I would assume that it is calculated separately, and has some weird behavior when dual-classing. My guess would be that it is something like

1. Calculate the Con boni HP for first class
    2. If first class level is below max level with hp boni, continue with second class
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    I can confirm that mages normally get a constitution bonus at level 10 - this was P&P and vanilla behavior as well as EE.

I think @Ammar is correct that the reason why you're not getting it in this case is that you had already reached the maximum level for which you could get constitution bonuses as a fighter. This is a reasonable interpretation of the P&P rules for 2nd edition - see this extract from the Players Handbook