Skip to content

Stone of Recall mod request

If this has already happened, please delete this. I can't find it if it does.

The Stone of Recall is used in NWN to teleport you back to certain areas and keep your place on the quest at the same time. Perhaps we can obtain one for BGII as well? Maybe we even have to set up where the "safe place" is for that part of the portal.

It would also be a good one to base a quest on.

Comments

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    There's a teleporting stone thingy in the stuff for mages mod I think.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I'd love some implementation of the teleport spell, even if it was just "travel to an outdoor area like normal, but without the travel time." I mean, by the end of ToB you can technically have a party full of arch-mages, and you need to walk everywhere? Really?
  • ShadowcranShadowcran Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2018
    Let's not forget horses, caravans, etc..yeah, having to hoof it everywhere seems really silly at a lot of points. "Oh no, all our inventory is full and all my bags are busting at the seams, well time to abandon this quest midway(knowing all the good stuff is yet to come)and make the long trek to a store/merchant/whatever. Hope I can get back into the groove/RPG of it again"

I am something of an inventory nutbar in some respects. I've certain things I try and teach others like "Try to always sell your stuff at the same place as you never know if you'll want it again later" or "First thing, grab every available gem bag and scroll case you can find at the merchants as soon as you're out in the world". After that, the game gets more immersive as you don't have to trek back often. However, there are several looooong quests where even 2 treks might be necessary.

Edit: and of course, I would recommend that the portal be placed near a familiar merchant.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    If it's purely a case of inventory management then:

C:CreateItem("bag31")

Assuming the console is enabled of course :)
    Given the buggines of the games, EE or Vanilla, the console should always be enabled. Because it's not cheating if you're working around a glitch.
    I don't like using the console commands for anything. I prefer the finding(especially bags of holding which are a priority playing these). That's why I suggested the Stone of Recall being maybe a beginning quest once you're free to roam. If someone is ambitious, they could make it a "around the realm" type so you have every place outside the city used as well as many inside. It could be like a traveling tutorial.
    Malicron said:

Given the buggines of the games, EE or Vanilla, the console should always be enabled. Because it's not cheating if you're working around a glitch.

Agreed. In the past the bugginess can sometimes be "quest breaking". I forget the Lich name, but at one point the game made him "unkillable" and I couldn't get the item he had(which is the main reason for doing that quest). Yes, it was a glitch. Heartbreaking too as collecting as many items as I can is a passion of mine.

As to inventory control, I could teach lessons in it. One container I think should be more available near the beginning is for Ranged bolts, arrows and the like. ...typing this inspired a question:

Is there a mod with a container for quest items. I'm not talking about quest items that actually can be used, but a container specifically for all items that are only related to a quest? Yes, I even collect those. Books? I just find a handy bookshelf and store them all there after quest completion. I store those in the scroll cases so there is already a specific container for them then unload later.

btw, thanks for all the feedback so far. Finally, an intelligent forum. I also play Eternal, the card game, and there is such a lack of intellect trying to discuss that game with people it often just galls me to be there. Don't get me wrong, the game is excellent(best CCG out there), it's the people on their forums who tick me off(and some of those are intelligent too, they just avoid the forums like I do). btw, Eternal is the most generous ftp game out there and you'll actually only pay real money to support it when you don't have to.
    Balrog99
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

To some extent the "pocket plane" in TOB serves this purpose.
    But, the drawback is that the game becomes less immersive.

I didn't realise for years and years you could use the pocket plane mid dungeon, still had to chance resting where I was.
    Now I'm not a no reload kind of player, so if I was attacked I'd reload.
    But that still doesn't break the feeling that you are taking a risk whereas the pocket plane takes me out of the game.

I sympathise with your feelings about inventory management, but for myself, I enjoy messing around trying to figure out how to carry as much of the loot as possible, having to decide which things to leave, who can carry what weight wise.
    For me it's actually an aspect of "gameplay", just as slogging back through Durlag's is if I need to resurrect someone, exiting WK and resting/selling outside ect.
    For me, it's more immersion breaking that you have mages teleporting all over the place, and have Elminster say he's scarred of how powerful you are, yet you still can't cast a basic 5th level spell.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Mantis37 said:
    Oh, I already have it. I've just always wished it was in the vanilla game. Either that, or that damn near every other magic user you encounter didn't teleport every time they needed to travel more than ten feet. I get it, you can teleport and I can't! Stop rubbing it in!

To some extent the "pocket plane" in TOB serves this purpose.
    But, the drawback is that the game becomes less immersive.

I didn't realise for years and years you could use the pocket plane mid dungeon, still had to chance resting where I was.
    Now I'm not a no reload kind of player, so if I was attacked I'd reload.
    But that still doesn't break the feeling that you are taking a risk whereas the pocket plane takes me out of the game.

I sympathise with your feelings about inventory management, but for myself, I enjoy messing around trying to figure out how to carry as much of the loot as possible, having to decide which things to leave, who can carry what weight wise.
    For me it's actually an aspect of "gameplay", just as slogging back through Durlag's is if I need to resurrect someone, exiting WK and resting/selling outside ect.

Not to mention the imp making great objects out of your collected junk...

Have you tried resting under Sanctuary spell? It's not 100% but improves your chances of not getting attacked. I don't know if that was intended or not.

I tend to put my main inventory manager in the middle of the pack of 6. They get the scroll cases devoted to papers, notes, etc. while one each(depending on how many I have) with each spellcaster for spells. I also put the gem bags on same one in the middle as well as bags of holding. I keep them on the main character(if leader) and when full, transfer to the middle. That one in the middle gets the "next" str. enhancer after the fighters get them(usually the third one) for weight management as well.