Skip to content

Wardruna and similar bands - Sharing new bands

SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
Hello all.

Went to a Wardruna concert yesterday and had a blast. The only downside (if you can call it that) is that the quality on the album is very high and live they play it almost identically to the recorded songs, so this means the live experience is more of a visual experience. It was amazing to see them live.

Afterwards me and a mate talked bands in the genre (although the genre is a fluid one and hard to describe sometimes) and I thought that I could start a thread here and ask you guys what bands you listen to in this kind of genre? The genre then being "etno-viking-pagan-iron age-folk-ish-music", hehe.. or something similar.

Here's some of my findings on Spotify:
  1. Wardruna
  2. Forndom
  3. Kaunan
  4. Heilung
  5. Danheim
  6. Nytt land
  7. Osi and Jupiter
Can you add more bands that I can listen to? You can also link to youtube or similar if you want to.

Thanks!

Comments

• JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Not quite the same genre as Wardruna, but Garmarna and Gjallarhorn were the first ones I thought of. They base their music more on Scandinavian folk music from the medieval period, rather than the Viking age.

Garmarna - Varulven

Gjallarhorn - I riden så
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited May 2018
    Sorry for the late reply @JoenSo

Yeah, Garmarna I've listened to some but they don't really hit the spot for me. They have some good songs and some even great songs, but overall they are not "epic" enough to get the blood flowing.

I hadn't listened to Gjallarhorn before, so thanks for that tip. I'll check out their discography on Spotify. By the looks of it (your YT link) they too seem to more like "visa" music, but I'll surely find a couple of gems there for sure.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    edited May 2018
    Yeah, as I said, quite different genres even though they are based on some similar ideas. Still, I always think Garmarna deserve a mention!

This is the only song that I've been listening to lately that might fit the genre (though this one isn't too epic either). I've seen it float around on youtube with names like "Viking pagan folk song". It always annoys me a bit that people often seem to assume that music in this genre are actual folk songs from over a thousand years ago.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Thanks, yes I've heard that song and it's definitely right up my alley. It pops up in my suggested/radio feeds. I like it, but from what I've heard of the band they mostly make more ballad-esque music.