Skip to content

Tales of Maj'Eyal Expansion

ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
I know there are a few rogulike players on this forum, and I was wondering if anyone had tried the "Forbidden Cults" expansion for ToME.

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I was going to buy it, then I realized I am never going to have time for this game. I'll still probably buy it, but the amount of content, build choices etc etc in this game is almost unrivaled.
    ThacoBellMERLANCE
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, its the only Roguelike that I've REALLY gotten into. The crazy number of options is a major reason for that.
    The initial new class is strange. It seems that all of its standard abilities work in melee. With magic scaling. So you eaither are depending on passive procs and the occasional burst damage while being unable to kill anything normally. Or you build strength simultaneously, are able to actually wear some armor, and do damage with normal attacks, but the magic requirements are high enough that this gimps your ability progression. I love the flavor of the class, but I am dying a LOT early on. It got significantly easier when I could survive early on, getting what is essentially a companion with one skill tree. But the feels really unfocused.
    ThacoBell said:

The initial new class is strange. It seems that all of its standard abilities work in melee. With magic scaling. So you eaither are depending on passive procs and the occasional burst damage while being unable to kill anything normally. Or you build strength simultaneously, are able to actually wear some armor, and do damage with normal attacks, but the magic requirements are high enough that this gimps your ability progression. I love the flavor of the class, but I am dying a LOT early on. It got significantly easier when I could survive early on, getting what is essentially a companion with one skill tree. But the feels really unfocused.

I can't figure out what the hell is going on with most of the classes for hours at a time. Beyond that, so many of them are locked behind certain goals in the game......yeah. It almost seems like to get good at ToME, you would have to almost exclusively play this game, though I suppose the fact that you can play the new class without unlocking it is a bonus.
    ThacoBell
    There is a second one that needs to be unlocked, and hear that it is considered "unintuitive, but extremely powerful." This from a beta tester. I have no idea what to expect as a casual player.
    Okay, unlocking the second new race is going to be a HUGE pain. You have to save four npcs (at low health) from 3 high level necromancers that will happily stunlock you and kill all the npcs.

Also, TOME is MODDABLE!? Tell my family I love them...
    ThacoBell said:

Okay, unlocking the second new race is going to be a HUGE pain. You have to save four npcs (at low health) from 3 high level necromancers that will happily stunlock you and kill all the npcs.

Also, TOME is MODDABLE!? Tell my family I love them...

I have alot of admiration for this project, and it's also a great game for those on a budget (it costs next to nothing for the original, and the expansions are about $5 each.
    ThacoBell
    Heck, the original IS free. Paying for it gets you all of one extra class and removes ads asking if you would like to donate every now and then.