Skip to content

CD Key Already in Use on that server?

PhotonPhoton Member Posts: 5
edited May 2018 in Technical Support
Hello,

I have just purchased four NWN:EE games, on four different Steam accounts. 3 of the 4 have no problem creating or joining a LAN game. The fourth one, however, gives this error:

"Connection error: Your CD Key is already in use on that server". This makes no sense, how can 3 of 4 games and accounts link up, but not the last one? Super frustrating. My daughter is playing a character solo, and waiting for a fix to join the rest of the party.

Anyone know of a fix? Or even a reason why this would occur?

Comments

• PhotonPhoton Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2018
    I already tried uninstalling the game, and reinstalling the game from her Steam account, to no avail. Twice.
    I have discovered that her machine will not do ANY multiplayer at all, the same error keeps coming up when creating or joining ANY Neverwinter Nights EE LAN/Internet game. So, what's up with that?
    After experimentation there is some conflict between my steam CD Key and her steam CD Key, both of us cannot access NWN:EE LAN at the same time. If I host the game she can't join and if she hosts the game I can't join.

How do I fix this?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited May 2018
    Hello! Can you try to reinstall the game on your daughter's PC and remove a cdkey.ini (located in the NWN folder in Documents) so that Steam could create it again? (don't forget to create a backup of that file)

Based on this and this
    edited May 2018
    I've tried this method, on each of our computers, to no avail. The cdkey.ini file is removed from that folder, and after re-install, it is created again, with the same CD Key as before. Both computers have an identical CD key, despite the purchase being made from separate Steam accounts. I have four charges on my credit card, for the four games.

Whenever multiplayer is started, there is a super-fast message about the CD key, but is only visible for a microsecond, and then the game goes to the server as normal, but we still have the same problem with the re-created CD Key.

I have purchased Neverwinter Nights, and Neverwinter Diamond edition a few times, trying to create multiplayer in the past, so I tried one of those CD Keys for those old games. I entered it manually into the cdkey.ini file, but it says that CD Key is invalid when trying to start a multiplayer game.

I deleted that cdkey.ini file, and started Neverwinter again, tried multiplayer, and it re-creates that same original CD Key file automatically, with the same CD key every time, on both machines. It must be getting that info from somewhere.
  • ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    Sent you a PM :)