Skip to content

No rhino beetle in the Forest of Wyrms

I could only find one topic on this, and it was pretty old, so I'm making a new one rather than resurrecting that one.

Short version is, the rhino beetle isn't spawning. I disarmed most of the traps (including the one where the trigger is), and I know the coordinates. I didn't know about the rhino beetle until I looked up what to do with the spider eggs, by which point I had cleared all of the cave with the dragon and the cultists.

I know sometimes bugs mean sending a save file to Beamdog so they can fix something. Am I at that point or is there something else I should do? I saw the sticky post about Redmine, but I don't know if I can say I'm reproducing something that isn't happening.

Comments

• AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    This happened to me once and I gave up and reloaded to an earlier save. Then the beetle appeared as normal after I triggered the right floor coordinates in the NW cave. I still had to wait a bit though.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Aerakar said:

This happened to me once and I gave up and reloaded to an earlier save. Then the beetle appeared as normal after I triggered the right floor coordinates in the NW cave. I still had to wait a bit though.

Pretty sure it has something to do with this as it's happened a few times for me as well.

To the OP, just make sure you really march around a bit in that small NW cave, take your time.

And maybe (not sure if this is relevant but it seemed to help) make sure the party is all together, don't leave anybody behind near the start of the short passageway.
    ThacoBell
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    The rhino beetle spawns if you cross that trigger and have killed the spiders in that room (specifically one giant spider). If you are quite certain they're all dead already, try this:
    1) go to My Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/Baldur.lua
    2) open it with text editor and add
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')
    3) start the game, go to the cave and press CTRL+space
    4) copy paste this in and hit enter C:SetGlobal("spriteisdeadBDGiantSpid1","global",1); C:SetGlobal("BD_POINT6","BD0114",0)
    5) try walking over the trigger again
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisovQuartz
  • SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    edited June 2018
    Unless there's a spider that's both hidden and doesn't want to come fight me, they're definitely all dead.

I changed the text editor, brought up debug mode, c/p'd that second string, and nothing changed. I tried leaving the cave and c/ping it again, nothing changed. I'm assuming that when I hit enter and the string appears in the chat box, I've done it correctly.

My whole group is stomping around that spot; at this point they've probably touched the coordinate trigger a dozen times each.

Aerakar, what do you mean by 'wait a bit'? Did you spend a long time actively marching, or did your group just sit there and then, voila, the rhino beetle appeared?

Edit: I found out about the rhino beetle because I was looking up what to do with the spider eggs. Right now I have five eggs (I think that's all of them), one on each party member except Dynaheir. Previously I had all of them in the bag of holding. Is there anything known about if it's better to spread them out or stack them up on one person to improve the spawn chance of the rhino beetle?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @SpiffyMcBang The eggs don't affect the spawn of the Rhino Beetle. I actually don't even bother picking them up. As for waiting, sometimes it takes a minute after hitting the trigger and killing the spiders for it to spawn.
    You mentioned you killed all the spiders, did one of them drop a lootable spider leg? There is a unique spider that spawns with the last group, and I've seen some people reporting that it either fails to appear, or drop its leg.
    Aerakar
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @SpiffyMcBang

Can you reload and try everything again from before you go down the passage to the NW cave?

Sorry I can't be more exact to help, but it was so random. One playthrough it appears, next it didn't, reloaded then it did, ect.
    Aerakar
    edited June 2018
    I have the leg.

I may be parsing your comment a little too hard, but you said 'hitting the trigger and killing the spiders'... it shouldn't be necessary to hit the trigger before the spiders die, right? I lured them out and didn't go in until I could safely disarm the trap.

...I'll try to reload an old game, but even if it works I can't imagine it's worth doing the entire cultist cave and the dragon again.

Edit: My closest save is the start of the chapter. I rely mostly on quick saves. Bleh.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Strange (and to add insult to injury, file attachment doesn't seem to work either??). Here's a link to edited trigger script (bd011406.bcs), drop it into "override" folder (if it doesn't exist, create it) in the main game directory. Hope it'll help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/132tCnBl8VhiMh8IJsyigAzXQXnLVGSSe/view?usp=sharing
    That worked. Thanks.
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

I have the leg.

I may be parsing your comment a little too hard, but you said 'hitting the trigger and killing the spiders'... it shouldn't be necessary to hit the trigger before the spiders die, right? I lured them out and didn't go in until I could safely disarm the trap.

...I'll try to reload an old game, but even if it works I can't imagine it's worth doing the entire cultist cave and the dragon again.

Edit: My closest save is the start of the chapter. I rely mostly on quick saves. Bleh.

The order shouldn't matter, so long as both things happen. I'm glad you were able to get it sorted.