Skip to content

Dwarven Defender/Cleric who can use axes

moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
I was playing about with the Dwarven Defender kit as I was thinking of trying to solo a DD/Cleric build. Normally I would create a Fighter/Cleric first and put a kit on it. However today I made the Dwarven Defender first and then added the Fighter/Cleric class onto it.

The result is a DD/Cleric build who appears to be able to use any weapon, bladed or otherwise. It is constrained by only being able to put two pips into a weapon like any multiclass.

Will I somehow break my character later on? As a test I dumped a load of XP on him and I was able to choose any weapon proficiency at Fighter level 3. Defensive Stance and spellcasting all works as expected.

I suspect this would work with any other class combo as well.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Shouldn't break anything. I used to play with "creative" interpretations of classes/kits all the time. Never had any issues that couldn't be fixed with two clicks (and even that was rare).
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I do believe the whole clerics = no blades thing is being phased out in general. It was a concept from the dawn of D&D, but it didn't age well. Good riddance, I say.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

I do believe the whole clerics = no blades thing is being phased out in general. It was a concept from the dawn of D&D, but it didn't age well. Good riddance, I say.

Agreed. Though, admittedly, I'm more apt to pick up a mace or warhammer on a cleric than a non-cleric. :tongue:
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I tried to do the same with a berzerker/cleric dwarf, but the restriction on bladed weapons still applied. I first created a berzerker, leveled him up as a single class and then added F/C MC on him in eekeeper. His axe became red and I had to change my prof-points.

My vision of a chaotic-evil zerker/cleric of abbathor dual wielding axe/warhammer dwarf is still just a dream! I even tried adding the UAI on the character, but since I played him from BG1 the UAI doesn't work so I stayed with warhammers and flails instead. It's really not at all as cool though, but ofc stacking AoF, DoE etc is effective. My idea is not for being OP but for RP reasons though, even though ofc a dwarf zerker/cleric is ridiculously strong.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    There is also a component of the new cdTweaks mod that relaxes the weapon restrictions on multiclass clerics and druids so that dream can come true, @Skatan.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Not is being phased out, it was phased out a long time ago in 3rd Edition.
  • RecklessfireballRecklessfireball Member Posts: 9
    Earlier than 3rd, really. 2nd edition had specialty priests. Basically variant clerics that got a few different abilities, including (sometimes ) the ability to use expanded lists of weapons (depending on the priesthood).
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

Clangeddin, the Dwarven God of War, has axes as his holy weapon. It's actually kind of weird that his priests can't use axes.

Clangeddin is a kit that is available on Deities of Faerûn for both single class cleric and Fighter/Cleric.