Skip to content

Client is not honoring installation directory setting change?

PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
edited September 2017 in Beamdog Client
I'm trying to move my Beamdog Client instances from my secondary drive to my main drive (when I set the machine up this time I screwed up and put the OS on the larger drive). I'm trying to move the currently installed games to a new location on the larger drive and... the beamdog client is not honoring the new location without me uninstalling the games from the Beamdog client and then "reinstalling" them.

This doesn't seem to be correct since I can set the install location in the settings. Is there an "I moved the game folder" option without uninstalling the old location from the client?

(To clarify: It honors the new location for new installs but not for previously-installed games. At install time I can set the game path to the correct new location but I believe there should be a way to set this without telling the client to uninstall the old location first)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Basically yes, here're the steps we recommend:

1. Move location of the game folder on your drive(s).
    2. Tell the Client to uninstall the game. This de-references the previous install location.
    3. Click Install, then Find Existing Game.
    4. Navigate to the folder location and look for the numbered folder (for example, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition's numbered folder on Windows will be 00766).
    5. Choose Select Folder.

The Client should detect the presence of the game and allow you to skip re-installing it.

Let me know if you need anything else.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    That works, thanks.

Is there a way to do it without telling the Client to uninstall the game (like how virtually every other P2P program has an option to move the containing folder)?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    At this point in time, you'll need to use the uninstall procedure. But we can log the suggestion and consider it for future patches of the Client.
  • arQonarQon Member Posts: 21
    Julius, thanks for the instructions.

This is, it's fair to say, quite some distance from intuitive or even discoverable. A better method would definitely be good to have, bandwidth permitting. If nothing else, even a simple popup with these instructions when the user DOES change the install dir would be a big step forward, and probably enough.