Skip to content

Viconia leaves???

Went and rearranged my whole party dropping Jaheira and Khalid and letting Dynaheir die, so I could stick with Viconia, Minsc, Neera and Imoen as a dual class Thief/Mage. After doing something that got me another reputation point, Viconia just up and left.. How is it in BG2 she doesnt get mad at you being a good guy, but she does in BG1?? In BG2 I took her all the way to the end of the game with me and not once did she complain about anything I did , she didn't even stick around for more than 2 days of running around in BG1.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    She leaves in both BG1 and BG2 if rep goes above 18. If she refused to leave in BG2, it was either a bug or a mod preventing it.
    Zaghoul
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    If your reputation hits "19" she, and the other evil NPC, will leave in both BG and BG2.

If she didn't leave you when you played BG2, it will because you rep never hit above 18.

BG has a load of reputation points awarded, especially at the start. It's the perenial problem of evil NPC in BG.
    Kill a begger, commoner, (when nobody is watching), or somebody out in the wilds is the solution. Shed a ton of rep, you'll get it back very quickly.
    Zaghoul
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Hehheh, the old kill em method. ;) It does get a little tough to keep rep from getting too high. I've made ample use of the Bardic Reputation option in BGNPC1 Project. Paying bards to spread your fearsome reputation about, and getting folks to worrying about you seems to fit better in order manage rep than the old kill someone method we had to do before that, when wanting to lower rep. I think is one of the best options brought to the game. It always felt a little off to me at times when having to kill for no reason other than rep was getting too high.
    ConjurerDragon
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited June 2018
    Zaghoul said:

Hehheh, the old kill em method. ;) It does get a little tough to keep rep from getting too high. I've made ample use of the Bardic Reputation option in BGNPC1 Project. Paying bards to spread your fearsome reputation about, and getting folks to worrying about you seems to fit better in order manage rep than the old kill someone method we had to do before that, when wanting to lower rep. I think is one of the best options brought to the game. It always felt a little off to me at times when having to kill for no reason other than rep was getting too high.

Agree with the "Bardic Rep" being a good innovation. :)

However, when funds are short and nobody's watching...........

(I've spent far too much time playing with evil NPC......but just why are they the most entertaining?,,,,,it makes it hard to be good.....it's not my fault.....)
    Zaghoultbone1
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    If you don't like killing innocents then every time your reputation gets pushed above 18 just immediately boot Viconia from the party and recruit her again - hey presto reputation is back at 18.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    @Grond0 Unless this behaviour has changed since v1.3 booting Viconia from your party causes your rep to rise by 2 (i.e. undoing the rep loss you incurred by recruiting her in the first place).
    GreenWarlockThacoBell
    @dunbar that's exactly the point. Let's say your reputation rises to 19 with Viconia in the party. If you do nothing she will at some point get fed up and leave. Before she has a chance to do that you remove her from the party - increasing reputation to 20 (as it can't go to 21). You then immediately recruit her again - and the drop of 2 in reputation takes it safely back to 18. You can do that as often as you want to make sure she never has a chance to leave of her own accord.
    ThacoBellRaduziel
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    The problem is that Viconia (or other evils) do not leave you party at some point after your rep hits 19, but exactly as you are awarded the 19th point of rep. I did not play evil back in the day, so don't know if this is an EE change, but is certainly how 1.3 plays for me today.
    Grond0
    Hmm - shows how often I play with NPCs ;). Having just tested the behavior in BGEE I agree that the game has changed from vanilla such that she leaves immediately reputation hits 19 without needing to talk to you - and if you pause the game fractionally before she leaves and kick her out, she disappears anyway. That particular trick is therefore no longer available in BGEE, so I guess it's back to getting caught stealing and slaughtering the odd innocent!
    GreenWarlock
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    if i am not mistaken, if you romance viconia you can actually change her alignment ( to good i want to say ) depending on what dialogue choices you use ( although i don't know if that happens in SoA or ToB, but i want to say SoA) and if that happens, then you don't have to worry about the REP being too high ( or at least you shouldn't especially if she is good alignment )
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78
    sarevok57 said:

if i am not mistaken, if you romance viconia you can actually change her alignment ( to good i want to say ) depending on what dialogue choices you use ( although i don't know if that happens in SoA or ToB, but i want to say SoA) and if that happens, then you don't have to worry about the REP being too high ( or at least you shouldn't especially if she is good alignment )

Ohhhhh that must be why she never left in BG2. I went pretty far with Viconia, Jaheira, and Aerie's, but I stuck with Jaheria's.

sarevok57 said:

Ohhhhh that must be why she never left in BG2. I went pretty far with Viconia, Jaheira, and Aerie's, but I stuck with Jaheria's.
    I doubt it, Viconia's alignment change (IIRC) happens in ToB.
    GreenWarlocksarevok57
    Weird must've been a bug then hehe. Ive never played with mods on the game ever, so we can rule that one out. Maybe my rep just sucked who knows?
    edited June 2018

Weird must've been a bug then hehe. Ive never played with mods on the game ever, so we can rule that one out. Maybe my rep just sucked who knows?

Possible, NEVER rule out bugs with the IE. There is stuff in there from almost 20 years ago that pops up every now and then but seems to never be able to be reproduced intentionally.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
    Yeah kinda like when I got my Mac in 2000 and rebought both 1 and 2 for it. I was literally at the fight with Irenicus on my PC, he won the first attempt so this was gonna be number 2. Decided to copy the save over to the Mac and see if it loaded, worked great! Got the party ready to finally beat the game, memorized all my spells and spell sequencers, healed everybody, cast buffs, etc.. Went to do the final battle, once combat started, all of my spell icons were inactive and it wouldn't let me cast a damn thing in the battle. He worked over the four melee characters pretty quickly and when he was done with them just wiped the floor with the stupid spell casters. I think at that point I was so pissed I didn't want to bother hooking my PC back up just to finish it, and ended up losing the save file after one of the many hard drive failures over the years.
    ThacoBell