Skip to content

Custom Races for Base Campaign

I've been digging through the forums on adding custom races, but I haven't found if it's possible for the base campaign and the expansions. Right now it seems that you can add a custom race by editing the racialtypes.2da and a few others. Would the changes show if you tried to make a new character in the base game or any of the expansions?

One of the other things I wasn't really able to find is if it's possible to use the same method to add custom races with new models. It seemed that with editing the racialtypes you could only refer to what is already in the appearance.2da file. So would it be possible to use models from CEP to add as a custom race?

If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. Also hopefully a lot of this information can get consolidated somewhere as a reference.

Comments

• pscythepscythe Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2018
    Yes you can add custom races and have it work with the OC and XPs. Just put the racialtypes.2da in your Override directory. For the strrefs, you can just edit dialog.tlk to keep it simple if you're making these new races for yourself, or make your own .tlk and update the OC and XPs to use that.

You can use CEP appearances too, but it is more complicated as you have to add the CEP to the OC and XPs or they'll have no way of finding the right models. An alternative is to manually copy the lines you need from the CEP appearances.2da into the standard appearances.2da and put it and the corresponding files into Override.

See also https://neverwintervault.org/sites/all/modules/pubdlcnt/pubdlcnt.php?file=https://neverwintervault.org/sites/neverwintervault.org/files/project/1463/files/custom_content_v3_0.7z&nid=1463

• TSLzipperTSLzipper Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the help. I'll probably play around with the files more and make sure I have making a custom race with just the base game down. If I get that working I'll try working more with CEP.

Also do you know how to get the 2da files from CEP? I'm currently using the one from the Steam Workshop and I don't see any of them in the workshop folder. Do I have to unpack something similar to the base game to get all the 2da files for CEP?
  • pscythepscythe Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2018
    The CEP 2das are in cep2_top_2_62.hak in your hak folder. You can open the hak files using nwnhak.exe that comes with NWN.