Skip to content

Add Toggle For Full Inventory Behavior?

The recent patch changed how full inventories are handled.

Where before, new items added to the inventory would be dropped to the ground, this behavior has changed so that previously possessed items will instead be dropped.

While this may be ideal for singleplayer (e.g. inexperienced module developers can ensure an item is set into the player's inventory), this is a major step back for persistent worlds, where 1) players often receive items en mass from bartering and/or loot stashes, 2) few items are truly 'plot important', rendering the feature pointless, 3) and an online environment means that dropped items, which may be very expensive or have roleplay value, risk being lost.

Speaking as a player of the Arelith persistent world--it's a major headache, and has been a source of frustration for at least a few of my fellow players.

Is there any chance of getting this behavior on an .ini toggle?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Hello! This is (if it's indeed happening) not an intended change.

Please report the issue with repro steps at support.baldursgate.com . Thanks in advance.
  • jpersinnejpersinne Member Posts: 23
    Hi there, Julius!

I appreciate the prompt reply.

While I agree that this behavior does feel like a bug, new items displacing old ones from a full inventory was listed in the patch notes as a feature, which leads me to believe it is intended behavior.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    We'll revisit that, thanks.
  • PlasmaJohnPlasmaJohn Member Posts: 31
    Did this ever get prioritized? A PW I've been playing recently had a large trade event and a couple people lost some very expensive items due to this misfeature.
  • MelkiorMelkior Member Posts: 181
    We appear to be talking into a vacuum. It seems that the Beamdog devs have abandoned NWN and now only care about some flashy new game that they hope will bring in scads of ca$h.
    Change my mind! Please!
  • PlasmaJohnPlasmaJohn Member Posts: 31
    Melkior wrote: »
    Change my mind! Please!
    I won't. They do need to pay their employees and I doubt they're making much off NWN:EE at this point. It doesn't look their premium modules panned out either.

I'm just hoping Embracer/Asypr doesn't pull an EA and shut down their spin of the MasterServer (the authentication service) without giving PW's better tools to manage player authentication without it. I will note that there are some intriguing events that look promising but could use some extra data like a hash of the text typed into the server password box and the ability to approve or not.

As for this issue the devs of the above PW believe that they may have a workaround. But it would be much better all around if this was configurable.
  • TorchcoreTorchcore Member Posts: 5
    I had some ideas on this problem that still exists. I think they need to add another inventory or a space that is unusable to the players so that when the inventory gets too full items above a certain toolset value get placed in the "hidden inventory space instead of dropping on the ground, which then would be accessible by the people that run the game world they play in. This would prevent scripts that clean up dropped items on player worlds from being able to remove items, but also would let crafting items drop on the ground.